follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-13-2022, 02:00 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
My guess is that there was real value for them in the image that it helped to project of their company making interesting cars. Especially for Toyota, who by the late 2000's had probably the most hardcore/universal "boring car company" image.

They made a big deal about trying to shake that - I think they've done it. Once the GR Corolla and Manual Supra are here, I will personally consider them as the all around best enthusiast brand for non-rich folks. Still, I was surprised they did a second gen of the twins. Real glad they did.

Semi-related - It's funny that the Camry is still used as the golden standard method to sick-burn sport compact fanboys, like "oh wow nice [affordable enthusiast car] .. it must suck getting beat by moms Camry tho!" Well yeah, her Camry has a freakin' 300hp V6...
That is exactly the value in bringing them here.

The V6 Camry makes up about 8% of their sales. All the rest have a 2.5 with a HP/weight far worse than most sportscars even the gen1 Twins.
Old 01-13-2022, 02:15 PM   #16
Midnightsky

Drives: 2022 BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thank you for the information, this will unfortunately put pressure on me closing a deal asap.
Midnightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #17
Strat_FRS

Drives: 2015 FRS for daily and track use
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Toyota has had a bit of a brand reimage lately adding exciting models to their lineup. Supra, 86, GR Yaris and upcoming GR Corolla. They are taking up the slack where companies like Ford completely pulled out of small\fun cars.
Strat_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 02:54 PM   #18
Strat_FRS

Drives: 2015 FRS for daily and track use
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
My guess is that there was real value for them in the image that it helped to project of their company making interesting cars. Especially for Toyota, who by the late 2000's had probably the most hardcore/universal "boring car company" image.

They made a big deal about trying to shake that - I think they've done it. Once the GR Corolla and Manual Supra are here, I will personally consider them as the all around best enthusiast brand for non-rich folks. Still, I was surprised they did a second gen of the twins. Real glad they did.

Semi-related - It's funny that the Camry is still used as the golden standard method to sick-burn sport compact fanboys, like "oh wow nice [affordable enthusiast car] .. it must suck getting beat by moms Camry tho!" Well yeah, her Camry has a freakin' 300hp V6...

There are a lot of similarities that we are finding between the gen1 and gen2 cars. Which is both good and bad but from the enthusiast perspective good. Parts swap over and they fixed the biggest issue - power.
Strat_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:51 PM   #19
Opie

Drives: '13 BRZ TLM Spec
Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Garage
Full statement:

Quote:
Sold orders for 22MY BRZ are closing Thursday January 13, 2022 at 5:00 PM EST.

The launch of the 2022 MY BRZ has been a driving success, selling 1,579 vehicles through the 1st three months of sales ending in December 2021, and setting a new all-time monthly sales record in December with over a thousand BRZ’s sold!

Adding to this success was an exceptionally high number of sold orders, indicating demand is consuming our expected supply well into the future. Sold orders have reached the point where they have nearly consumed our expected supply for the ’22 model year. To increase the odds that we can deliver on the orders already promised, and to reduce the odds that we do not have to cancel any orders already created, we must close Sold Orders for the ‘22MY BRZ.

As you know we are continuously working with our colleagues at SBR to procure more inventory for the US market. If we are able to increase BRZ production in the future, we will work to re-open the sold order system at that time.
AK2112 (01-13-2022), bcj (01-14-2022), fredzy (01-13-2022), Pete (01-14-2022), Spuds (01-14-2022), Strat_FRS (01-14-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 04:10 PM   #20
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mark-ups to return?
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 04:31 PM   #21
*Axel
Grey Man

Drives: 22 MT BRZ
Who didn't see that coming?!? Put my order in 7-23-21. Chip shortage, Mfg slowdown, used car prices at all time high. high demand on quality cars.

I ordered on a gamble. So glad I did! I LOVE my grinning BRZ!!!!!!!!! Best car I've ever owned!
*Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 06:25 PM   #22
Tr4ck_day

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Full statement:
Thank you, I didn't see the full statement in Subarunet when I first came across it. Pretty much exactly what I though was going on though. Glad I placed my order the same day they opened them up.
Tr4ck_day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 03:33 PM   #23
Robertw

Drives: 1996 Turbo Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Will a similar thing be happening with GR orders?
Robertw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:04 PM   #24
otter

Drives: 22 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
They're all built on the same line by Subaru so I would assume yes.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:09 PM   #25
ThomasJ51600

Drives: GMC Yukon XL -tow rig
Guess this means I will have to wait till the 2023 model is available for order.
ThomasJ51600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:43 PM   #26
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ51600 View Post
Guess this means I will have to wait till the 2023 model is available for order.
Seems possible, but keep in mind that Toyota doesn't do sold orders like Subaru. I'm embarrassed to admit I know all of the following, but..

Subaru lets you place a detailed order that shoots straight into the production plan and you get a real ETA right away. They tend to be happy to do this - it's usually rare for customers to do it anyhow. So up until this week, everyone who came to a Subaru dealer and placed a BRZ order got a car earmarked for them - apparently all the way out til end of '22 production which is usually late summer.

Toyota I believe discourages ordering. They don't let orders influence their production. This means that if there are a lot of orders, many will ultimately not be fulfilled and customers will be mad. Right now, no GR86 that is going to be built in March or later is sold or allocated to anyone yet. So for example a car that will be produced first week of march should be coming into the production schedule about now. Once on the schedule, Toyota's allocation system will first decide a district that car is going to based on some statistics. From there, the district will consider any vehicle requests (like your "order") and MIGHT send it to someone who requested it. Otherwise they send it someplace based on more statistics.

Toyota makes waiting much harder.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:54 PM   #27
ThomasJ51600

Drives: GMC Yukon XL -tow rig
Quote:
Seems possible, but keep in mind that Toyota doesn't do sold orders like Subaru. I'm embarrassed to admit I know all of the following, but..

Subaru lets you place a detailed order that shoots straight into the production plan and you get a real ETA right away. They tend to be happy to do this - it's usually rare for customers to do it anyhow. So up until this week, everyone who came to a Subaru dealer and placed a BRZ order got a car earmarked for them - apparently all the way out til end of '22 production which is usually late summer.

Toyota I believe discourages ordering. They don't let orders influence their production. This means that if there are a lot of orders, many will ultimately not be fulfilled and customers will be mad. Right now, no GR86 that is going to be built in March or later is sold or allocated to anyone yet. So for example a car that will be produced first week of march should be coming into the production schedule about now. Once on the schedule, Toyota's allocation system will first decide a district that car is going to based on some statistics. From there, the district will consider any vehicle requests (like your "order") and MIGHT send it to someone who requested it. Otherwise they send it someplace based on more statistics.

Toyota makes waiting much harder.

I see, I was going to wait till the end of summer to purchase a BRZ at this point anyway (more time to get a larger down payment). So as long as when they start he 2023 run I am able to walk in my local dealer and order what I want (Crystal White Pearl MT Limited with most of the STI options) then I will be happy. I know the options are installed at port or by the local dealer according to what I have been reading, but finding a white MT Limited may be hard to come by at the end of summer so my only option may be to wait till 2023 orders are available.
ThomasJ51600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:10 PM   #28
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Here are U.S. BRZ sales by year, in the US.
2017 - 4,131
2018 - 3,834
2019 - 2,334
2020 - 2,267

While part of it could be manufacturing issues and they are just putting a nice spin on things, it also sounds like what it says and what the sales data shows. They sold a years worth of cars in 3 months. They likely didn't expect this volume and don't want to promise cars to customers that will take 6+ months to deliver, which at that point they may end up being 2023 MY cars.

They may still open up orders again in the future, as it says. But they don't want dealers to promise cars that they can't deliver which causes people to complain to Subaru and their dealers.

Will it happen to the GR86?

2017 - 6,846
2018 - 4,133
2019 - 3,398
2020 - 2,476

I don't know how Toyota operates. If Toyota expected the sales volume to be in the 2~4K range and they have no ability to go to suppliers for more parts or to get Subaru to allocate more volume at the plant, then yea, don't expect to get a car anytime soon if you haven't already claimed on at your local dealer.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote