follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-07-2016, 11:14 PM   #3403
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Here's an interesting question... I've seen with some tunes you can remap gauges. I recall on BMW's the MPG needle mapped to boost pressure.
Is it possible to map oil temp (since we don't have a gauge for it) to the speedometer? Our Kph goes to 260.
Not a bad idea!!! If this ever happens I will be so sad I wasted so much money on my oil temp gauge setup haha!!
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:33 AM   #3404
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenercarguy View Post
Should I run 235-40-17 tires on a 17x7.5 wheel or should I run 225-45-17? The tire would very likely be Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs.
Same question except with a 17x8 +45 RPF1. What's the optimal tire size? Should I then go 235/40/17? The star specs recommended width isn't very specific at all. It literally says 8" only for the 235/40/17 and 7.5" only for the 225/45/17. However the Rigals say 7-8.5 inches on the 225/45/17's despite only having an overall tread width of 7.8"... So I'm a bit confused haha. The price difference between 225's and 235's is also pretty huge. @CSG Mike
Just trying to make sure my track/autocross tire choice will be the best it can be.

Last edited by Keenercarguy; 01-08-2016 at 12:08 PM.
Keenercarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 05:46 AM   #3405
Tofu-86

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When learning an unfamiliar track, how do you find the optimum point to start braking and the point to get back to power?

Also, I've been in an accident when I attempted to drift but overcorrected the car. How should I avoid similar situation (overcorrection/ fish tailing) technique wise?
Tofu-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #3406
jarnojvv

Drives: 86|Fortuner|FJ|Mustang|SwiftSport
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-86 View Post
When learning an unfamiliar track, how do you find the optimum point to start braking and the point to get back to power?

Also, I've been in an accident when I attempted to drift but overcorrected the car. How should I avoid similar situation (overcorrection/ fish tailing) technique wise?
Lap slow, keep it smooth, build speed and aggression from there. Regarding car control....practice in an safe environment.

Best advice if you are serious would be to attend a driving instruction day teaching you the finer points of selecting a line, apex points etc.
Tofu-86 (01-08-2016), wparsons (01-11-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 12:24 PM   #3407
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Sorry about the accident. I hope you're ok.

Technique wise... CPR. Correct, Pause, Recover. When the car starts to rotate, (C)orrect your inputs (SMOOTHLY), steer in the direction you want the car to go. Don't jump off the gas or hit the brakes, that will transfer weight to the front and may make the problem worse. Once you've corrected, wait for the (P)ause. It's that moment when the rotation stops, just before the rear would pendulum back the other direction. The suspension and tires have finished loading up. You'll should feel the slight hesitation in the car. At that point, (R)ecover. Straighten the wheel out quickly and ease back onto your inputs.
Also, remember you always want to be looking where you want the car to go, regardless of which way it's travelling. Your hands are going to naturally follow your eyes and if you're watching that armco barrier coming up, there's a fairly good chance you're going to hit it.

(I was working on a reply to your first question but it became a novel. Trying to sum up. )
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
Keenercarguy (01-08-2016), Tofu-86 (01-08-2016), wparsons (01-11-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 03:06 PM   #3408
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Drift in a save environment (at a proper drift venue) so that you don't wreck when you mess up.

I've had several FD drivers all tell me the same thing: To be able to drift well, you must understand grip. To be fast at grip, you must understand drift.

As a rule of thumb, if you're still braking when you enter a corner, you broke too little/too late. If you're not on-throttle by the apex of the corner, then you cooked the entry of the corner.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
acro (01-08-2016), dp1 (01-09-2016), Keenercarguy (01-08-2016), Tofu-86 (01-08-2016), Ultramaroon (01-17-2016), Uplink (01-08-2016), wparsons (01-11-2016)
Old 01-08-2016, 05:28 PM   #3409
Tofu-86

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited
Quote:
Sorry about the accident. I hope you're ok.

Technique wise... CPR.

(I was working on a reply to your first question but it became a novel. Trying to sum up. )
Thanks for the input, a follow up question: which part of the CPR did I mess up when the fish tail happened?
Tofu-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #3410
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the input, a follow up question: which part of the CPR did I mess up when the fish tail happened?
Too much correction too late, back to back to back, is what causes a fishtail.

Correct faster, but less, and as soon as you make the correction, start dialing the correction back.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Keenercarguy (01-09-2016), Uplink (01-10-2016)
Old 01-10-2016, 07:47 PM   #3411
pandamancer

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6M Ultramarine
Garage
I see the schedule for 86CUP was posted a couple days ago. Assuming I get my car prepped(brakes and fluids) I think I would like to attend the first session at Streets of Willow on 2/13.

My main question is this, would this event be alright for a beginner to attend? I absolutely would like to start out with an instructor but am not sure if that is available at this particular event. I am much less concerned about being competitive in the actual series(at least for now) but do want to participate at a club-like event.

Secondarily, any track specific suggestions or things to look out for for a newbie? Other than the standard affair(smooth is slow, don't get in over your head, etc.)?
pandamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:57 PM   #3412
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamancer View Post
I see the schedule for 86CUP was posted a couple days ago. Assuming I get my car prepped(brakes and fluids) I think I would like to attend the first session at Streets of Willow on 2/13.
The absolute minimum I recommend to do your first track day is flushing your brake fluid for something like Motul RBF660 or better. Ideally you want pads as well.... but if it's your first track day ever, you can run OEM pads, but do plan for performance pads on your 2nd day. Any of the 86CUP sponsors can help you with those. There's plenty of basic track prep threads on this forum as well.

86CUP is beginner friendly. The track-day organizers we run with always have run groups for beginners, no problem. First 20 min track session is typically a lead/follow exercise.

As for coaching, feel free to ask me or any other participant at the track. I could ride with your for a session, and also arrange ride alongs.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #3413
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
The absolute minimum I recommend to do your first track day is flushing your brake fluid for something like Motul RBF660 or better. Ideally you want pads as well.... but if it's your first track day ever, you can run OEM pads, but do plan for performance pads on your 2nd day. Any of the 86CUP sponsors can help you with those. There's plenty of basic track prep threads on this forum as well.

86CUP is beginner friendly. The track-day organizers we run with always have run groups for beginners, no problem. First 20 min track session is typically a lead/follow exercise.

As for coaching, feel free to ask me or any other participant at the track. I could ride with your for a session, and also arrange ride alongs.
Any thoughts on bringing this series to the East coast?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:11 PM   #3414
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Any thoughts on bringing this series to the East coast?
You're welcome to get the series started over there!

NorCal and SoCal 86CUP are both grass roots efforts. While some of the volunteers that help run the show work in the industry or are employed by sponsors, it remains a non profit operation –we all pay for our track time as everyone else.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:26 PM   #3415
pandamancer

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6M Ultramarine
Garage
Quote:

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I will definitely be replacing ALL fluids and getting track pads before the event. As it will be my first track day driving(I have taken a driving course and been to several track days as a spectator/ride-along) I don't want to be limited/unsafe with fading brakes throughout the day. I also am aware that I will likely be taking it slowly and warming up and don't want to be the guy on the track holding anyone else back or doing silly things. I'm very cognizant of etiquette and don't want to build a bad reputation for myself.

pandamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pandamancer For This Useful Post:
juliog (01-10-2016)
Old 01-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #3416
Uplink

Quote:
You're welcome to get the series started over there!

NorCal and SoCal 86CUP are both grass roots efforts. While some of the volunteers that help run the show work in the industry or are employed by sponsors, it remains a non profit operation –we all pay for our track time as everyone else.
I'd love to but then I'd have to give up eating or sleeping to make some free time.

How much track time per day does a Cup event need? I've done some SCCA HPDE's where they use a few sessions for club racing. Maybe 86Cup can do the same?

PM me details and maybe we can pull together something together. Maybe an exhibition this year with a tentative '17 season?