follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
AZdunn

Drives: 89' Nissan Skyline
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1yr left in JP, what should I buy for my future FR-S?

Hello to all, thanks for the add! I followed the scionlife forum for several years when I owned a Scion TC. I sold my TC two years ago because I moved to Japan for military reasons. Anyways I'm looking to buy a FR-S when I move back to the states in 13 months and was wondering what parts I should bring back with me?? Just been browsing some auto stores here. I can get the trd high response exhaust, trd front/rear lip, jdm spoiler, oem gt86 headlights, tein type flex, etc..... What should I buy before I move back? Here is a picture of my 2007 TC and my current ride a 1989 Nissan Skyline. If anyone is interested in reading up on my skyline... http://laceduplifestyle.blogspot.jp/...r32-gts-t.html
AZdunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AZdunn For This Useful Post:
kanundrum (10-14-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Prava
Insegrevious Member

Drives: Raven FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Man, I'd be happy with that Skyline, myself! That thing is sexy.

I say you get yourself two things: GT86 headlights and the 86 airbag, if you can.

"Character is who you are when nobody is looking."
Club4AG | Micro Image | Solar Shade | FRS86

Prava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
All that stuff listed is easily attainable here in the states.

If it were me, I would look for things that are harder to obtain here in the states.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
trd exhaust is useless imo, and my car has it lol. Since idc much for aesthetics i say just try and get as much performance/reliability items as you can if they're cheap over there.
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
AZdunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
All that stuff listed is easily attainable here in the states.

If it were me, I would look for things that are harder to obtain here in the states.

The parts would be cheaper here that's why I was looking ahead and yea that's a good idea!
Old 10-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #6
AZdunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prava View Post
Man, I'd be happy with that Skyline, myself! That thing is sexy.

I say you get yourself two things: GT86 headlights and the 86 airbag, if you can.
Thanks, and I'll look around for those. I'm pretty sure I have seen them around.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdunn View Post
The parts would be cheaper here that's why I was looking ahead and yea that's a good idea!
Right.

Look for larger items that would normally cost a shit ton to ship.

For instance, my duckbill shipped from Japan took 3 weeks and about $90 to ship. Same duckbill is also not sold in the states. Only one place I know of that can get it.

While the exhaust may be a bot cheaper there than it is here. If you can only take so many things back, I would start off with the hard to find stuff first. Otherwise, if you miss the chance, you might beat yourself up down the road over it.

Bring me back a Spirit R FD

Kthanks
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
bkblitzed
is better than you

i say get a lot of cool "jdm" items so you can sell it to all the honda/240 kids
Old 10-13-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
AZdunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkblitzed View Post
i say get a lot of cool "jdm" items so you can sell it to all the honda/240 kids
Honda doesn't exist out here. Seeing a civic is very rare. lol
Old 10-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
bkblitzed
is better than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZdunn View Post
Honda doesn't exist out here. Seeing a civic is very rare. lol
But in the US you'll see one every 5 seconds lol.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
PUSH808

Drives: Scion FR-S
Have you thought about shipping your skyline to the states? The 1989 R32 Skyline will be legal for importation into the U.S. sometime in 2014. Keep the skyline!
This is from the NHTSA website.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/impo...l#Anchor-28852

8. Importing a vehicle that is at least 25 years old.
A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.
PUSH808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
AZdunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSH808 View Post
Have you thought about shipping your skyline to the states? The 1989 R32 Skyline will be legal for importation into the U.S. sometime in 2014. Keep the skyline!

A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable FMVSS. Such a vehicle would be entered under Box 1 on the HS-7 Declaration form to be given to Customs at the time of importation. If you wish to see that form, you may download a copy from our website at www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import. You should note that the 25 year period runs from the date of the vehicle's manufacture. If the date of manufacture is not identified on a label permanently affixed to the vehicle by its original manufacturer, to establish the age of the vehicle, you should have documentation available such as an invoice showing the date the vehicle was first sold or a registration document showing that the vehicle was registered at least 25 years ago. Absent such information, a statement from a recognized vehicle historical society identifying the age of the vehicle could be used.

yes she's coming with me. I leave late next year. Actually about to buy another 89 R32 to import with mine
Old 10-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSH808 View Post

Still be a bitch to do so.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
AZdunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Still be a bitch to do so.
no man its easy, I have had plenty of friends take their cars back to the states