follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2019, 03:52 PM   #15
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I wouldn't even consider buying a used car in the Houston area....way too many flooded cars, from all the millions of floods you've had...LOL.

New car dealerships are just not interested in promoting this car, whether they be Toyota or Subaru. It's the rare dealer that even has one on the lot. They want to sell what the stupid majority of buyers are purchasing these days. Buyers want practical and don't care about the fun to drive factor.

They don't make this car in green. Maybe online the black ones look green in certain light.

Miata or a used Lotus Elise are your other choices...Oh, yea that Cayman used as well.

My 2005 Mustang GT sits in the garage for five years now. Finally I took it off the road this year, can't rationalize the insurance on a car not driven but once or twice a year.

Check insurance prices on one of these Toy/Sub cars. My insurance is twice the price of my Mustang to insure my FRS. I am 73yo and my insurance is $1300. a year for the FRS.

I really, really needed a warranty on a Ford product. On this FRS no warranty needed. Bought new, now with 67,000 miles and zero need for any repair so far. Made in Japan rules !

I've owned maybe 60 or more cars in my lifetime, nothing as great as this in my past. After driving my FRS for 5 years, still get out of it many days with a smile and find myself laughing...

I have not driven an S2000, newest Miata, or any Cayman, so what do I know ? My FRS literally fits me and my body, I don't think anything else could do better for me.

Just sold S2000:https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ign=2019-11-13

Last edited by ToySub1946; 11-19-2019 at 05:30 PM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToySub1946 For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (11-19-2019), Hoahao (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #16
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've had some similar cars to you. Owned a S2000 for almost 10 years. Still have a 2015 Mustang GT, though the jury is out whether or not I will keep it.

I was looking for a small, nimble, sports coupe for over a year. Something that would be like a cross between a S2000 and RX8. With the nimbleness and feel of the S2000, but a coupe and a little bigger and more comfortable (since I'm in my 60's), like the RX8 I also used to own. For me it came down to either the BRZ/FRS or Nissan 370Z. Both were the kind of 'old school' (ish), analog-feeling pure sports cars I was looking for.

It was a close choice, but in the end I recently bought a BRZ. It's not as powerful or fast in a straight line as the 370Z, but I think it does everything else better - superior handling and chassis dynamics, more comfortable and roomy interior, much better visibility. It captured what I was hoping for - similar driving feel to the S2000, but a little bigger, a little more comfortable, and a coupe. What it lacks in power compared to the S2000 I think can be addressed with your choice of mods (FI or NA).

The reason you might be finding thin inventory is because the 2019's are pretty much sold out, and deliveries of the 2020's are only just starting. If you're not buying until early next year, by then supplies of 2020's should be widely available, and you should have your choice of colors.

Good luck!
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
why? (11-23-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 05:28 AM   #17
Jdmuscle

Drives: Supra, Viper, Z06, GT350 and GX460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I absolutely love my BRZ. Matter of fact I prefer driving this car over my other cars too and I’ll say that in those forums as well. Five months since purchase and 10.5k miles of ton of fun
Will BRZ (11-21-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #18
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
You need to hire or borrow one for a week.

They are fun little cars, BUT, if you like power then maybe they are the wrong car.

Handling, whilst they handle OK from the factory they are far from sorted from factory.

In saying that, if you know what you are getting into you will be fine.

I got the performance package on mine, Brembo's are good, Sachs were crashy, I knew this goin in and suspension upgrades were budget for, my car handles great after binning the Sachs and getting an alignment solution.

As for power, stock is like any peppy little 2.0l car, I tuned mine up to 200hp and it was alot better. A year later I had a AVO turbo installed pumping around 270hp and 280nm, car is now super fun and not overly stressed.

My view of the twins are they a fun little sports coupe stock and a good base for a little manual RWD toy, add some handling mods and a little boost and they are much much better, and performance wise, still good bang for your buck.

TL;DR I could not own a stock twin.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 11:31 AM   #19
RHoop

Drives: Mustang GT (sold)
Good advice, but I've never seen one at the rental companies, and it wouldn't be a manual. The S2000 had small engine power at low rpm, then the engine came alive at high rpm. So you had to really rev it if you were in a hurry. The Mustang was the opposite, but way too mushy on suspension and too much weight to have a snappy feel.

What did you replace the Sachs with? Is there a thread with alignment specs? I haven't come across it.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
RHoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #20
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHoop View Post
Good advice, but I've never seen one at the rental companies, and it wouldn't be a manual. The S2000 had small engine power at low rpm, then the engine came alive at high rpm. So you had to really rev it if you were in a hurry. The Mustang was the opposite, but way too mushy on suspension and too much weight to have a snappy feel.

What did you replace the Sachs with? Is there a thread with alignment specs? I haven't come across it.

Thanks

I use a local Australians company product, the MCA - STREET PERFORMANCE.

https://mcasuspension.com/products

I have also fitted the MCA traction mod, with noticable positive results.

As for camber settings, as the car is a well abused streeter I have -1.5° front and -1.0° rear with zero toe everywhere.

The MCA have adjustable top hats, and for the rear I have Superpro adjustable rear lower control arms and adjustable toe arms, the toe arms came with the LCA's but are not necessary at my height levels of 350mm front and rear (20mm drop).

These settings are using my current Bridgestone Potenza RS3 tyres well, the RS3's are OK, but RE004 Hankooks are much better grip wise in the dry, the RE004's fall over a bit in the wet though, hence my change to the Bridgestones.

But, ask someone else, and opinions will vary.

My not a build thread > http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133311 containing stuff I found usefull, and stuff that I wasted money on.

At this stage the car holds its own and is near on perfect for my needs.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:51 PM   #21
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Go to a dealer and tell them you want a blue one.
Maybe the OP doesn't even have to tell the dealer. They will know when he shows up
Attached Images

James H is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to James H For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (11-21-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 10:04 PM   #22
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Welcome. I've also somewhat noticed that there isn't that many BRZ's to choose from in Houston. I bought mine from Superior off of 249. I didn't get a super amazing deal or anything, but it was CPO, low mileage, the color, transmission, and trim I wanted so I'm not complaining. I would say just be patient and look around for a good deal. It's a big purchase and you don't want to rush and buy something you don't want. I love this car. It's great to drive and I have zero complaints. Good luck man hope to see you out on the road in a twin
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:06 AM   #23
RHoop

Drives: Mustang GT (sold)
Thanks. When I was trying to sell the S2000, which I bought used in Houston, I had a dealer tell me that "Houston is not a manual transmission market." Of course, that may have just been an excuse for their low-ball offer. I also bought the manual transmission Mustang in Houston, actually it was Autonation in Katy...

RHoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 02:11 PM   #24
joro2

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium MT (DGM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
the little fa20 is an acquired taste in its own right. I love it but I'm a fan of quirkiness in general.
Totally agree, I was just yet again thinking about this very subject (FA20 love/hate) the other day. Far from the smoothest engine, and not “the best” sounding (although I’d argue that) either, but definitely unique and quirky- and something amazingly satisfying about ringing out that 2L box of bolts, especially on the street where you can go at least 7/10ths+ most of the time w/o ever breaking the law, killing yourself, or killing someone else.
joro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joro2 For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 06:45 PM   #25
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,517 Times in 18,919 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joro2 View Post
Totally agree, I was just yet again thinking about this very subject (FA20 love/hate) the other day. Far from the smoothest engine, and not “the best” sounding (although I’d argue that) either, but definitely unique and quirky- and something amazingly satisfying about ringing out that 2L box of bolts, especially on the street where you can go at least 7/10ths+ most of the time w/o ever breaking the law, killing yourself, or killing someone else.
How funny! My first test drive was from my house back to the dealership because my wife drove it home to surprise me. Less than a minute into the drive, she asked me what I thought of it. I just shook my head and said "Psshhh... bucket of bolts." It wasn't until my second try a week later that I decided to really give it a whirl. That's what it took. I was sold.