follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-27-2016, 07:00 AM   #1
LLYNCES

Drives: 13 Firestorm/UltramarineRIP/15 Halo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rough shifting (2015 FRS AT)

So this car has been shifting weird lately - but it only does it some of the time. The car will randomly decide to start shifting rough, and I mean to the point where it will jitter me in the seat kind of rough - like if you were to take your foot too fast off the clutch after shifting. I used to own a 2013 AT and I remember something similar happening when I first got the car, though it went away after 4,000 miles or so.

I'm kind of just curious as to what the cause of it is though. Today I stopped the car completely when it started happening, turned it off, then turned it back on and it began shifting normally and smooth again. Then randomly it will act up and start shifting rough again - yet the moment I turn the car off and back on it goes back to normal until it decides to start acting up again.

I don't do anything out of the usual. In fact, even when I turn it back to pure automatic mode it shifts rough even in that mode (when the problem starts happening)

It has nothing to do with sports mode/snow mode from my testing of it. It might have something to do with traction on/off but I highly doubt that. I've tried to make it start shifting rough from a bunch of things but it seems to do it by itself randomly. I'm thinking it starts occurring from stop and go (stop signs/red lights for example) then accelerating and stopping again.

My car only has 1300km on it so I'm debating whether waiting to see if it goes away or getting it checked out at a dealer. I'm thinking it's ECU related because all it takes is the car being turned off and back on for the problem to go away until I decide to drive the car for awhile.

I'm contemplating waiting to see if it goes away like my old one did but it's frustrating not knowing what is causing it. Anybody have any ideas?
LLYNCES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
The TSB flash for the idle issue is said to take care of the hard shifts as well.
Here:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...0&d=1444080503

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93562
FX86 (06-27-2016)
Old 06-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
my 2015 AT model does the same thing..randomly it will start jerking on upshifts and it will have delayed downshift rev-matches or it doesn't rev-match at all..barely blips the throttle...turning it off and on fixes the issue

i might bring that form to the dealer and ask them to reprogram the tcm when i have nothing better to do...

Last edited by FX86; 06-27-2016 at 11:34 AM.
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:41 AM   #4
LLYNCES

Thanks I will check that out and see if the dealer will do it. I found out the cause of the problem, it is indeed the idling. If I let the car idle for too long it causes the problem. Hopefully I can get this sorted out.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:50 AM   #5
Astral Abyss

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S
I took my 2016 to the dealer for the same issue, plus the idle searching issue. I printed out the TSB and brought it with me, along with some videos I took of the idling issue. Remain clam and explain exactly what is happening. Dealer did the reflash and I haven't had an issue since. I was the first person to bring in my car for that issue at that dealer, according to the rep. If your car falls within the VIN range, they'll likely not give you any hassle, esp if you bring in the TSB.
Astral Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #6
LLYNCES

Just to give a quick update

I brought my car in and they found the Canadian version of the TSB and were going to work on it in the next few days (the idle TSB that apparently fixes the hard shifting problem) - then I got a CEL and the car went into limp mode. I was able to clear it after turning the car off and on a few times, but it reappeared. Next morning I drove the car to the dealer and hit limp mode twice on the way there (I was able to clear limp mode by turning the car off and on) but I made it to the dealer.

I gave them the car and they told me they would check the problem out. Got a phone call 3 1/2 hours later saying something is wrong with the wiring in my engine, particularly the DI (direct injection) seals on two of my cylinders failed - they described the hard shifting issues as an entirely different issue related to the TSB. Going to take a week for them to repair - they had to order the parts. Looks like I will be driving around a prius for a week now.

Makes me wonder if the DI seals failing are related to the hard shifting problem and if I just didn't catch on fast enough before it screwed with my engine. It's all being covered under warranty. I will be getting more information about it soon.