follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 03-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #23367
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
10 seconds per day is pretty good. If you're worried about dust get a blower. They are like a hollow rubber ball with a nozzle. Squeeze it for a little jet of spit-free air. As for sleeping with your watch on...
Is sleeping with your watch on bad? LOL I have been doing it for well, 16 years or so...

What irks me is that it's such a consistent 10 seconds per day, which means that if I turned the screw just right it would be nearly spot on.
Old 03-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #23368
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro View Post
I can drive both. Honestly speaking, I find that AT guys don't bash MT guys, but MT guys HAVE. TO. GET. IN. YOUR. FACE. about their choice of transmission. The insecure party I find is usually the MT guys, probably prompted by the fact that there's so much doom and gloom surrounding the future of the stick. Since I can do both, my choice of tranny is dependent on it's primary use. If it's a car I commute to work with everyday and track maybe 4 times a year, it's going to be an AT. If it's a weekend toy only, than it's an MT. If I was buying an offroader, it'd be an MT. If I was buying a grocery hauler, it's going to be an AT. Learn and understand both, then you have the best of both worlds.

I love the feeling of MT, my first car was stick and so much fun. A mt just wouldn't fit my lifestyle right now. I live in la traffic is horrible and my fiancé needs to drive the car too and can't drive stick. I think it's funny when guys as me and give me shit yet most if the ones who do it are driving honda civics or fucking geo metros from the 90s.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:39 PM   #23369
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Conundrum (03-30-2014), IntotheOcean (03-30-2014)
Old 03-29-2014, 07:56 PM   #23370
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
You know how manual guys have the phantom clutch pedal when driving autos? I've noticed a similar type of sensation when driving my car in manual mode. I know it probably sounds weird, but I've gotten so used to driving an automatic, especially the FR-S, that I know right where to put my foot in the throttle to get what I want from the transmission. I had a similar connection with my Mazda before this. In manual mode I feel somewhat disconnected because I'm used to coaxing the transmission into doing what I want smoothly, not doing it myself.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:35 PM   #23371
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
You know how manual guys have the phantom clutch pedal when driving autos? I've noticed a similar type of sensation when driving my car in manual mode. I know it probably sounds weird, but I've gotten so used to driving an automatic, especially the FR-S, that I know right where to put my foot in the throttle to get what I want from the transmission. I had a similar connection with my Mazda before this. In manual mode I feel somewhat disconnected because I'm used to coaxing the transmission into doing what I want smoothly, not doing it myself.
How do you do that? Maybe it's because I don't daily drive an auto but I have driven several thousand miles in my mom's auto Honda and I still don't know how to coax it into the gear I want...I have learned how much I can press the throttle without a downshift, but I can't reliably get it to kick down 1 gear (sometimes it'll unlock the TC and stay in 5th which is completely useless).

I've driven some other auto/DCT cars including nicer ones for several hours and could never get the automatic to do what I want. That's why for me it's either CVT or manual, I don't take surprise shifts well and I get bored at the wheel, but I understand why other people like various automatic transmissions.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #23372
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
How do you do that? Maybe it's because I don't daily drive an auto but I have driven several thousand miles in my mom's auto Honda and I still don't know how to coax it into the gear I want...I have learned how much I can press the throttle without a downshift, but I can't reliably get it to kick down 1 gear (sometimes it'll unlock the TC and stay in 5th which is completely useless).

I've driven some other auto/DCT cars including nicer ones for several hours and could never get the automatic to do what I want. That's why for me it's either CVT or manual, I don't take surprise shifts well and I get bored at the wheel, but I understand why other people like various automatic transmissions.
It's not a perfect science, but for the most part it's just about the right pressure. I will admit sport mode in the FR-S makes it easier because it's quite the clever transmission and often knows what you want, or at least that's how I see it. But even in normal auto I don't feel all that disconnected. There have still been times that I've used the paddles when the transmission wasn't quick enough, but to be honest I'm usually pretty satisfied by the response I can get in complete auto mode.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:27 AM   #23373
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Well, I watched the Vancouver Whitecaps beat the Houston Dynamo 2-1 at BC Place Stadium today. It was much, much more enjoyable than anticipated.

The 'injuries' still bugged me, though...

Because titanium.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:41 AM   #23374
IntotheOcean

Drives: Sexy Frs Firestorm M/T
Thanked 1,636 Times in 760 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
I can drive both. Honestly speaking, I find that AT guys don't bash MT guys, but MT guys HAVE. TO. GET. IN. YOUR. FACE. about their choice of transmission. The insecure party I find is usually the MT guys, probably prompted by the fact that there's so much doom and gloom surrounding the future of the stick. Since I can do both, my choice of tranny is dependent on it's primary use. If it's a car I commute to work with everyday and track maybe 4 times a year, it's going to be an AT. If it's a weekend toy only, than it's an MT. If I was buying an offroader, it'd be an MT. If I was buying a grocery hauler, it's going to be an AT. Learn and understand both, then you have the best of both worlds.
I wish I had a weekend toy car lol.
But yes this was what I was saying, once you understand both you'll be able to choose the right transmission for your enjoyment.
-too many people don't give it a fair shot and let any negative comments like traffic and whatnot discourage them.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:08 PM   #23375
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Really puts me into perspective about being a Nursing Student in the Trauma unit seeing unfortunate things happen because of car accidents. Drive safe!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #23376
ZOMFGAARON
A Demon

Drives: Raven GT86
Thanked 1,321 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I wish someone would lend me $200. 😭
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZOMFGAARON For This Useful Post:
IntotheOcean (03-30-2014), lxs (03-31-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #23377
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMFGAARON View Post
I wish someone would lend me $200. ��
All you gotta do is ask me

No

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelbyat07 For This Useful Post:
IntotheOcean (03-30-2014), KslayFRZ (03-31-2014), lxs (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 01:50 AM   #23378
lxs

Drives: Tommy
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I want a BRZ tS now tho
M-17 (04-01-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #23379
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

I'm in yo face son..................
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sklimo For This Useful Post:
KslayFRZ (03-31-2014), M-17 (04-01-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #23380
KslayFRZ

Drives: 2013 Frs asphalt
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
That moment you call your girl her mom's name....

Then finish...

Then cry.....

Awkward
The Following User Says Thank You to KslayFRZ For This Useful Post:
sklimo (03-31-2014)
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?