follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #29
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure about US/Canadian specs but the UK 2017 86 has an added e-diff. So if one wheel spins the ABS fires to stop it momentarily to allow torque to transfer to the other wheel with grip.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #30
dara

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
No Problem

I have been Driving in Calgary and Saskatoon for the past few years. The car is easy to drive and I have never been stuck.
dara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:50 PM   #31
Guru Woodman

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech CWP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I drive it in the winter, if I can find it

Old 08-30-2017, 08:46 PM   #32
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Woodman View Post
I drive it in the winter, if I can find it

who buys a white car in Canada anyway?
Attached Images

Guru Woodman (08-30-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 05:07 PM   #33
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

Respect the conditions, get good, thin winter tires, respect the conditions. Take time to practice when nobody is around, it'll be much safer than learning when everyone in their AWD SUVS has their butthole clenched as tight as it can go is driving alongside you. That's how it is here in Vermont, I've been driving low RWD cars (mostly e36 BMWs) in the snow since 2008 and have yet to get into a situation that could have been avoided with another driveline choice. (getting body hung because I want to get into my driveway without shoveling 2' of snow is my choice, not the car's fault)

Last edited by DarkPira7e; 09-20-2017 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Word choice
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #34
milkydude12

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post

Respect the conditions, get good, thin winter tires, respect the conditions. Take time to practice when nobody is around, it'll be much safer than learning when everyone in their AWD SUVS has their butthole clenched as tight as it can go is driving alongside you. That's how it is here in Vermont, I've been driving low RWD cars (mostly e36 BMWs) in the snow since 2008 and have yet to get into a situation that could have been avoided with another driveline choice. (getting body hung because I want to get into my driveway without shoveling 2' of snow is my choice, not the car's fault)
I have a heavy foot, so ill try to work on that before winter hits (After much delay, I've decided to get the Toyota 86 this friday ), for sure, ill definitely be getting some good winter tires (ill put them on the OEM prius rims).
milkydude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to milkydude12 For This Useful Post:
why? (09-21-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #35
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkydude12 View Post
I have a heavy foot, so ill try to work on that before winter hits (After much delay, I've decided to get the Toyota 86 this friday ), for sure, ill definitely be getting some good winter tires (ill put them on the OEM prius rims).
OEM Prius rims? I don't believe the twins come with Prius rims. Or wheels, for that matter.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 02:35 AM   #36
milkydude12

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
OEM Prius rims? I don't believe the twins come with Prius rims. Or wheels, for that matter.
Ah, nvm, I see that now XD it looks better now than when the FRS was still in production (I just absolutely hated the stock rims on those), however im still going to use the stock rims for my winter tires . Im planning to use a set of these https://www.ft86motorsports.com/whee...-red-opal.html for summer use.
milkydude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #37
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm not in the Great White North, but given we had 130" of snow just two years ago and regularly are over the 100" mark for the season, I think that qualifies as 'real' winter...lol. I DD my car and provided you invest in a full set of good snow tires, and use some common sense when driving in poor conditions, the car does just fine. In fact, it's a hoot...just drive it like you would any lightweight rwd car in low traction conditions. The only drawback to the car is the ride height; traction generally isn't a problem, but clearance is obviously restricted compared to most other vehicles, so stay away from the sloppy berms left by plows between lanes and at intersections.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:38 AM   #38
Yousend

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I'm not in the Great White North, but given we had 130" of snow just two years ago and regularly are over the 100" mark for the season, I think that qualifies as 'real' winter...lol. I DD my car and provided you invest in a full set of good snow tires, and use some common sense when driving in poor conditions, the car does just fine. In fact, it's a hoot...just drive it like you would any lightweight rwd car in low traction conditions. The only drawback to the car is the ride height; traction generally isn't a problem, but clearance is obviously restricted compared to most other vehicles, so stay away from the sloppy berms left by plows between lanes and at intersections.
What is this common sense you speak of? If I look at the average Joe here, you have to mash the accelerator in desperation if you're stuck. Try to enter a busy street from a dead stop as cars are speeding past you and force them to brake hard. If anything, common sense is the last thing you want to use when driving in poor conditions.

On a serious note, take it slow. Too much gas and your tail will kick to one side when one of the sides loses grip. The car will let you know, you will feel it. It also behaves really well when you want it to, it is very responsive and communicates very well.
Yousend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 PM   #39
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkydude12 View Post
wat.... du u evn kno wut dis kar iz?

btw, don't go to a car meet (or anywhere a enthusiast could show up) then call your wheels rims, true enthusiasts will avoid you like the plague
Old 09-21-2017, 04:43 PM   #40
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post

aww, but I want to freak out those SUV drivers on bald all season tires as I drive by them doing the speed limit because they are afraid to go over 40. It only takes a little slide and they think the world is ending!
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #41
SkAsphalt
Ridge Racerrrrrrrrr

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2004 Toyota Coroll
Thanked 1,363 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Lowered 1.5 inches.
In the snowbelt dead center of all the great lakes.
Daily driven for 3 winters.
Drive minimum of 1,300 kilometers a week.
Have never been stuck.
With good snow tires zero the thing is a tank in the snow.
I have had to stop to help push AWD cars out of my way several times.
Do it!
Thanks for ruining my, "it will blow up in a ball of fire" chance here.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 PM   #42
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkAsphalt View Post
Thanks for ruining my, "it will blow up in a ball of fire" chance here.
Hey, I said I never got stuck not that it never blew up in a ball of fire. Hell the first commercial for the thing shows a ball of fire.
SkAsphalt (09-22-2017)

Tags
canada, questiion, snow, toyota