follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 05-17-2014, 08:54 PM   #1219
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
This is the first time I've heard about HANS being recommended for use outside of dedicated racecar builds.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #1220
akuhei

Drives: Raven M/T FR-S
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I disagree, especially for inexperienced drivers. The primacys make it MUCH easier for a novice to feel out the handling of the car at lower speeds. They're predictable, and howl to let you know when you're pushing too hard for their liking. Going straight to sticky tires will make it much harder to teach someone how to balance the car with their inputs.
I agree, if it is the primacys we are talking about. But i got the feel they were talking about the all season tires that came on some of the cars up north (bridgestones i think), which could be a different case. But the primacys have a lot more grip than many give them credit for, and certainly let you know long before they let go.

Akuhei's Blog
"Inconceivable"
akuhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:55 PM   #1221
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
This is the first time I've heard about HANS being recommended for use outside of dedicated racecar builds.

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.
A head and neck restraint should be used with ANY 4/5/6 point harness, period. Not doing so is extremely dangerous.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (05-17-2014), AZP Installs (05-18-2014), RehabJeff86 (05-18-2014), wparsons (05-18-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #1222
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I disagree, especially for inexperienced drivers. The primacys make it MUCH easier for a novice to feel out the handling of the car at lower speeds. They're predictable, and howl to let you know when you're pushing too hard for their liking. Going straight to sticky tires will make it much harder to teach someone how to balance the car with their inputs.

My instructor (20 year racing veteran, ITE and other classes) was very clear with me on this- he wanted me to go buy as many sets of these tires(stockers) as I could, because of how progressive and easy to learn on they are. I'm throwing my plan for DZIIs out the window for now, and I'll do a more intermediate upgrade instead, aimed at lower cost and easy learning curve. He told me until I start cording and chunking the street type compound of that tire, I shouldn't move up to the high end street rubber, unless I want to slow down my learning.

It was incredible being able to feel how the slight changes in acceleration completely hamstrung the tire's ability to put down enough traction for turn in on subsequent turns with this tire. This, and other scenarios, made it very clear when I was asking too much of the tires because I was trying to do two things at the same time- turning, weight transferring from side to side or front to back, accelerating, or decelerating. Even subtle changes, not just big ones. Once I have those things down, transitioning to a faster tire will make me much, much faster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tainen For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-19-2014), wparsons (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #1223
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
My instructor (20 year racing veteran, ITE and other classes) was very clear with me on this- he wanted me to go buy as many sets of these tires(stockers) as I could, because of how progressive and easy to learn on they are. I'm throwing my plan for DZIIs out the window for now, and I'll do a more intermediate upgrade instead, aimed at lower cost and easy learning curve. He told me until I start cording and chunking the street type compound of that tire, I shouldn't move up to the high end street rubber, unless I want to slow down my learning.
I've seen complete beginners running on R-comps. Everything looks great at first bc there's so much grip, but once they lose it and have no idea how to recover, it's not pretty.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 11:03 AM   #1224
dradernh

Drives: Used to Drive:Grand-Am GS #54 E36M3
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainen View Post
It was incredible being able to feel how the slight changes in acceleration completely hamstrung the tire's ability to put down enough traction for turn in on subsequent turns with this tire. This, and other scenarios, made it very clear when I was asking too much of the tires because I was trying to do two things at the same time- turning, weight transferring from side to side or front to back, accelerating, or decelerating. Even subtle changes, not just big ones.
If you haven't already tried it, you might like autocross, which will teach you these same car control skills. It's a useful adjunct to tracking your car when it comes to learning car control, principally because it's done at slower speeds - that isn't only safer, you learn faster.
dradernh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #1225
Tainen

Drives: First SWP BRZ-L
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
If you haven't already tried it, you might like autocross, which will teach you these same car control skills. It's a useful adjunct to tracking your car when it comes to learning car control, principally because it's done at slower speeds - that isn't only safer, you learn faster.

After having done several autocross "school" days, I guess my experience leads me to a different conclusion. After the whole training day, I had maybe... 8 or 9 minutes seat time. Which is above average for an autocross day. With the HPDE, I had 90 minutes seat time. And since the turns and maneuvers take longer to develop, I was able to take time to understand them a bit more- in autocross, I'm so busy trying to slam the wheel back and forth to make those cone gates that I have less time to really internalize my experience and analyze it. Although still fun as hell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tainen For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #1226
ddeflyer

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
In my experience, autocross doesn't do as well with initially teaching you major concepts. The problem is that things come too fast and the car doesn't tend to get to settle into a steady state. Because of this it is really hard to grasp at those initial threads of information.

Now, doing autocross once you are an intermediate track driver is a much different cup of tea. By the time you are at an intermediate level you tend to have alot more sense for what the car is doing underneath you. Essentially your bandwidth for absorbing information is higher because you have something to reference against it. At that point the autocross becomes a great place to overdrive the car and experience the failure modes you need to avoid on the track.

Frankly it is unfortunate that it is this way. The speeds of an autocross really are much safer for a beginner. I would imagine that some sort of an extreme skid pad exercise with longer arcing turns would help this alot, but that wouldn't be as much fun for the experienced people

No idea where it leads next!
ddeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddeflyer For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #1227
nyfries

Drives: 14 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just had my first autox event yesterday and I'm hooked. I want to do more HPDE event. However cost is a major concern. At around $50 a pop autox is very affordable for me. However I feel like it's not the best learning environment for a noob. Granted I had so much fun. Should I continue to do autox event or should I save up and do few track days to really learn driving techniques before going back to autox?
nyfries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:16 PM   #1228
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfries View Post
I just had my first autox event yesterday and I'm hooked. I want to do more HPDE event. However cost is a major concern. At around $50 a pop autox is very affordable for me. However I feel like it's not the best learning environment for a noob. Granted I had so much fun. Should I continue to do autox event or should I save up and do few track days to really learn driving techniques before going back to autox?
I think it'll depend on your goal. Track events are cheaper when you consider driving time per dollar spent. However, if you don't have an instructor to guide you, then you may not really learn anything either. I think the best way to do as many events as possible with an instructor riding next to you. Have a bunch of different instructors as some may be better than others.

This isn't exactly a cheap hobby, and I think it's important to have realistic goals.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
AZP Installs (05-19-2014), SirBrass (05-19-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #1229
nyfries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
I think it'll depend on your goal. Track events are cheaper when you consider driving time per dollar spent. However, if you don't have an instructor to guide you, then you may not really learn anything either. I think the best way to do as many events as possible with an instructor riding next to you. Have a bunch of different instructors as some may be better than others.

This isn't exactly a cheap hobby, and I think it's important to have realistic goals.

I can see myself having a great time competing in autocrossing. Track day would be something that is fun and educational but won't be building my car for that. My goal for my car and myself is to be semi competitive in the autox c street class( that was what i was put in).

But with 6 under a min ran per day on autox it's hard to try and apply technique and to analyze my driving for improvement. That where I see track day being an advantage?
Old 05-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #1230
dradernh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeflyer View Post
In my experience, autocross doesn't do as well with initially teaching you major concepts. The problem is that things come too fast and the car doesn't tend to get to settle into a steady state. Because of this it is really hard to grasp at those initial threads of information.
Trust me, I hear what you're saying. I think that with any of this four-wheeled activity, be it autocross, road course driving, karting, rally, etc., different drivers pick it up at different rates, and for different reasons. My best autocrossing came as a result of going to an Evo School event - having national champions as instructors has a way of lifting your game! lol

This is what Randy Pobst has to say about what autocross did for his career: http://www.randypobst.com/index.cfm?...y&form_years=1
Old 05-19-2014, 06:05 PM   #1231
nyfries

$5 event!!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #1232
dradernh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfries View Post
$5 event!!!!
That's why they call them the good old days!