follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installing front pipe...need gasket sealant?

I'll be installing my Motiv front pipe soon, and wanted to know if it's necessary or recommended to coat the supplied gasket with some sealant? If so, which type should I use?

Motiv supplies a new 2-bolt gasket by the way, but the instruction does not mention needing to apply any sealant.

They say to re-use to donut gasket for the rear....should I also apply sealant there as well?
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
I'll be installing my Motiv front pipe soon, and wanted to know if it's necessary or recommended to coat the supplied gasket with some sealant? If so, which type should I use?

Motiv supplies a new 2-bolt gasket by the way, but the instruction does not mention needing to apply any sealant.

They say to re-use to donut gasket for the rear....should I also apply sealant there as well?
I never used any sealant, just a really tight hand tighten all around with gaskets. I haven't had a leak issue that I've noticed.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S Matt For This Useful Post:
Marchy (10-08-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchy View Post
this, and if you think you hear a leak after a week, jack the car up and make sure everything is still toight like a tigah
I had to take mine back to the lift after a week and tighten it up. Mainly around the header/overpipe area, but anything with heat can loosen. I'd check the full system after it breaks in some.
Marchy (10-09-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
MAPerformance

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Got mine on the hoist at work as we speak. I noticed a pretty bad leak happening this week. Found out there was a leak between the overpipe and front pipe. Put a new gasket in it, and its good to go.
MAPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPerformance View Post
Got mine on the hoist at work as we speak. I noticed a pretty bad leak happening this week. Found out there was a leak between the overpipe and front pipe. Put a new gasket in it, and its good to go.
How'd you discover the leak? Noise or was there black residue around the connection?
Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
MAPerformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S Matt View Post
How'd you discover the leak? Noise or was there black residue around the connection?
Mostly noise. It was pretty loud. I could also noticed a strong burnt fuel smell when I opened the hood. My tech also found a pinhole in the flange weld on my header as well, so that was welded back up. Sounds mint now.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Mostly noise. It was pretty loud. I could also noticed a strong burnt fuel smell when I opened the hood. My tech also found a pinhole in the flange weld on my header as well, so that was welded back up. Sounds mint now.
Yeah, I hear a ticking noise where my V-band clamp is holding my midpipe together in the rear. I've tightened that thing down hard. I may look at getting a more expensive clamp all together. The other part of my exhaust that worries me is the foil donut that connects the front pipe to the midpipe. It is held together by 2 long bolts on each side and it compresses the foil donut together. I was able to re-tighten it down again and I think the noise is gone because the donut expanded from the heat some. Very different design from what I am used to with this Nameless system but the fitment is really nice.
MAPerformance (10-08-2013)
Old 07-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #8
klittl06

Drives: FRS?
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
I've got a pretty nice leak from here. Where did you get the gasket for this? In the stock diagram, I don't see a gasket there...
klittl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
MAPerformance

I just used a standard Vibrant 2.5" 2 bolt exhaust gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klittl06 View Post
I've got a pretty nice leak from here. Where did you get the gasket for this? In the stock diagram, I don't see a gasket there...
Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
FR-S Matt
Banned

Garage
The Grimmspeed gaskets are pretty hardcore too. Little pricey, but high quality. I put them on my headers, header to overpipe, and overpipe to frontpipe. Considering putting them on my N1 catback too as the Invidia gaskets are el cheapo.