follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 12-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subaru's dilemma with the BRZ here

If Subaru puts the same kind of outrageous Canadian markup on the BRZ that it has on the WRX, they'll have a sales disaster on their hands - everyone will buy an FR-S for $5k-$8k less. On the other hand if they try and compete by reducing that unconscionable markup they are really going to piss off all their non-BRZ customers who will have to continue forking out 30% over US prices for their WRXs etc. Must be happy days for Subie's Canadian marketing and sales team!
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion FR-S View Post
If Subaru puts the same kind of outrageous Canadian markup on the BRZ that it has on the WRX, they'll have a sales disaster on their hands - everyone will buy an FR-S for $5k-$8k less. On the other hand if they try and compete by reducing that unconscionable markup they are really going to piss off all their non-BRZ customers who will have to continue forking out 30% over US prices for their WRXs etc. Must be happy days for Subie's Canadian marketing and sales team!
Let them suffer. They deserve it.

Sadly I am leaning towards the looks of the BRZ, but the price of the FR-S may be my limit. Front bumper swap maybe.

But seriously, Subaru Canada's pricing team can burn in hell.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
The BRZ has grown on me I actually really like the front now and would totally consider it over the FR-S had it not been due to the Canadian mark up that you know will appear.

I may like the look but I love saving 6K+ much much more

also I dunno about over there but here the subie dealerships are assholes. I tried to get a test drive on a new 2011 sti and was told "no, you have to buy it if you want to drive it"

Last edited by Mr.Jay; 12-02-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
^

Same on this end.... I was in the showroom and said I was considering the wrx limited. He blatantly told me that I'm more suited for the regular wrx and should consider it instead.

I was so taken back by the comment that I just walked out of the showroom and drove home puzzled. To this date I still think back and say WTH....

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
MTD

Drives: Hyundai
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
$27K US will translate with Suby's Ricer-math pricing to probably $35K CDN. IMO, thats alot of dough for not alot of car. The Mustang GT and Genesis V6 territory.

Yeah, I know the FRS/BRZ isnt really the same, but for the money Id rather have one of the others.
MTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 PM   #6
Mr.Jay

Maybe...

Buy FR-S in Canada
Enjoy for years
Buy used BRZ from US
Swap mods and front bumper over
Replace bumper and sell FR-S
WIN
Old 12-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hmm I seem to be the opposite here. I prefer the looks of the FR-S because the front bumper looks so much better IMO. I simply don't like the crap black bar on the front bar of the Subaru. However I like the Subaru's better equipment and quality so I hope all of that is offered as options on the Scion. @Mr. Jay sorry but your sig was waaaaaaaaay to awesome and hilarious so I JUST had to get that!
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 AM   #8
CoryUyede
NisSubuGuru?

Drives: 2011 Subaru WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldolera View Post
hmm I seem to be the opposite here. I prefer the looks of the FR-S because the front bumper looks so much better IMO. I simply don't like the crap black bar on the front bar of the Subaru. However I like the Subaru's better equipment and quality so I hope all of that is offered as options on the Scion. @Mr. Jay sorry but your sig was waaaaaaaaay to awesome and hilarious so I JUST had to get that!

I have to 100% agree on the looks. I love The front of the Scion more..more angry..The Subaru's black plastic bumper piece, combined with different shape, give it more of a Mazda 3/Peugeot face, Almost Delusional Angry..Like it's angry..but it's not quite sure why its angry.

I doubt i'll get the Sube, Horrible financing and Bad canadian conversion pricing, which will lead to paying ALOT more for what's basically some added creature comforts and cosmetics....2 or 3 years from now...i'll feel better knowing i saved 4 or 5 grand and didn't give up one ounce of performance.
CoryUyede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #9
baldolera

Drives: None Yet
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryUyede View Post
I have to 100% agree on the looks. I love The front of the Scion more..more angry..The Subaru's black plastic bumper piece, combined with different shape, give it more of a Mazda 3/Peugeot face, Almost Delusional Angry..Like it's angry..but it's not quite sure why its angry.

I doubt i'll get the Sube, Horrible financing and Bad canadian conversion pricing, which will lead to paying ALOT more for what's basically some added creature comforts and cosmetics....2 or 3 years from now...i'll feel better knowing i saved 4 or 5 grand and didn't give up one ounce of performance.
I'll probably go with the Scion. Cheaper price and I can go aftermarket for what I want on the Subie. Aftermarket headunits are usually better and cheaper than OEM.
baldolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
peazs

Drives: 2008 Honda Accord Coupe
Looks like I'm on the same page as you guys. I like the FR-S' aggressive front more, but as much as I look at it, I can't get over the interior... ;o

Are there any suspension differences b/w the FR-S and the BRZ? I read that the BRZ has a stiffer front spring or something?
peazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by peazs View Post
Are there any suspension differences b/w the FR-S and the BRZ? I read that the BRZ has a stiffer front spring or something?
Just read a thread where a Subie insider was quoted as saying there are no differences. OTOH publicly in one of the articles someone from Subie said there would be, so who knows?
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
whitejdm

Drives: BRZ prem.
Hi guys, first time poster long time lurker.
I'm also torn between the exterior of the FR-S vs the better interior of the BR-Z. If the FR-S comes in at 26-28k and the BRZ starts in the 30's (matching the WRX) then it will be tough to pay 8k more for LED lights, fancier interior, and Nav. On the other hand my dad owns a TC and the HVAC and radio controls are AWFUL.....Ugh, I can't really blame Scion for building a car at a price point, but I CAN be mad a Subaru for not at least staying in the BALLPARK of US pricing.
whitejdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
Mr.Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by peazs View Post
Looks like I'm on the same page as you guys. I like the FR-S' aggressive front more, but as much as I look at it, I can't get over the interior... ;o

in a couple reviews it was said the subie will have a slightly different setup were the rear was softer than the scions i believe

check out the brz car review articles we got posted
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #14
Eureka

Drives: None... yet!
Subaru might not have such a hard time with this. I received a call from my dealer recently about the FRS. Now I've been to the dealer before and I know they are not very familiar with this car yet. Anyways, I get the call saying that they've finally received words on the FRS. Everything he told me I already knew thanks to this forum. However one detail he had was something I had no idea of; the price. He (the salesperson) said the car is subjected to start at...30K! Now like I've said, they don't know much about the FRS so this price is probably 50% BS. However I think they can't be too far off. So, I can see the FRS getting a bit higher mark up from the US price than your average Scion. Perhaps a price of 26~28k, most likely in my opinion 27k. This will have the "Scion package" and everything. This way, I can see subaru putting the BRZ at ~30k with HID's, better interior, Nav etc. which is very close to the base WRX at 31k.
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote