follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2017, 08:02 AM   #15
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
My wife and I were seriously considering a 2017 JGC as our family car now that we've got a baby on the way. Good looking SUVs and you get a lot for the money with the way dealers discount them. The only thing that put us off was the reliability horror stories. Seemed like owners almost excused issues with the "Oh it's a Jeep, it does that" mentality. Probably not a problem as a secondary car, but we didn't want to take that chance for a primary family hauler.
I can't comment to much on reliability at this point being the 1st jeep I have owned and we only have 32k miles on it but have had litterally 0 issues for the 1st 32k. Only time will tell if that continues to hold true or not.

In the same hand the list of issues I have had with my 2013 brz in the same amount of miles are:

Condensation in tail lights
Remote unlock/lock range=0 (still an issue have to be within a foot for the thing to work)

Many other issues that people have now just decided to shrug and say oh thats just how the early brz/frs is.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #16
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
I can't comment to much on reliability at this point being the 1st jeep I have owned and we only have 32k miles on it but have had litterally 0 issues for the 1st 32k. Only time will tell if that continues to hold true or not.

In the same hand the list of issues I have had with my 2013 brz in the same amount of miles are:

Condensation in tail lights
Remote unlock/lock range=0 (still an issue have to be within a foot for the thing to work)

Many other issues that people have now just decided to shrug and say oh thats just how the early brz/frs is.
Cool thanks for sharing about your experience with the JGC.

Yeah the earlier BRZ/FR-S models didn't have the greatest reliability ratings either. I've only had the shaky idle issue (fixed by reflash), but definitely seen plenty of other people on this forum with leaky taillights, blocked oil passages, etc.

It's funny - currently our other car is a VW GTI, also not known for its reliability. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I've only had to replace the waterpump once. With this next family car, we wanted something with solid reliability since we'd be keeping it a while and I don't want my wife stranded somewhere with a baby. Probably will end up with one of the typical boring Japanese brands like Toyota/Lexus.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #17
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I dont have the GC I have the Cherokee trailhawk but they do share quite a bit of technology.

Quote:
Cool thanks for sharing about your experience with the JGC.

Yeah the earlier BRZ/FR-S models didn't have the greatest reliability ratings either. I've only had the shaky idle issue (fixed by reflash), but definitely seen plenty of other people on this forum with leaky taillights, blocked oil passages, etc.

It's funny - currently our other car is a VW GTI, also not known for its reliability. I guess I should consider myself lucky that I've only had to replace the waterpump once. With this next family car, we wanted something with solid reliability since we'd be keeping it a while and I don't want my wife stranded somewhere with a baby. Probably will end up with one of the typical boring Japanese brands like Toyota/Lexus.
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #18
Gil Scott Heron

Drives: '17 Asphalt 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
...Probably will end up with one of the typical boring Japanese brands like Toyota/Lexus.
The Lexus IS350 seems like it'd be a nice, non-boring sedan.
Gil Scott Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gil Scott Heron For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #19
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Scott Heron View Post
The Lexus IS350 seems like it'd be a nice, non-boring sedan.
Yeah would love an IS350! However we're thinking more like an NX200t or Highlander or some other SUV/minivan.

Luckily for now we've found an infant seat that fits comfortably in the GTI, so will keep that as the family car until baby #2.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:08 AM   #20
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It isn't a bad comparison.

When the first Jeep Grand Cherokee first appeared when got my driver license, it was a pretty swank ride.

I knew though, my 123 horsepower Mk2 16V Jetta could take it no problem. But then a V8 came out, and so it would be neck to neck pretty much. Then a 5.9L V-8 came out! so it would be ludicrous to consider something so dumb.

Around the same time, domestic terrorism started playing out around our town in the mid-late 90's. Eco-warriors were spray painting and vandalizing full-size luxury SUV's indiscriminately, or discriminately.
A while ago, for a month I drove under 2km every trip I made and noticed my gas mileage accounting for premium gasoline was pretty much the same as these things. I cross my fingers, eco-terrorists don't harm my 86.

I drove some guys 2012 Jeep Highlander who apparently blew all his money on coke. That thing had enough power to double your insurance costs. But the stereo and comfort level made up for it.

Rumor has it, a 2018 Hellcat Grand Cherokee is in the works. I wouldn't say it would give a Mustang GT a licking but it should win.
Shelby OK.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote