follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Anyone do their own alignment?

I've always wanted to adjust my camber, caster, toe...at home. I've seen several different gauges, which seem pretty easy to use.

Has anyone tried (or use) any of these?

Longacre camber/caster gauges (either the digital or bubble)
Fastrax camber caster gauge w/ toe attachment
Turnplates

Anyway, just looking for some input. It'd be nice to check my camber, caster, toe at will on all my vehicles.

Thanks!
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't you rather just spend the money and have the experts do it for you? On top of that, they would use the state of the art equipment to align your car and not the do-it-yourselfer stuff you listed.

I mean I get what you're trying to do and it's admirable to try to do things on your own, but there's a point it's a fruitless endeavor IMHO. Especially when you can have experts do it for you using the proper equipment.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Some people like to do things themselves. And most guys doing alignments at firestone or whatever aren't anywhere near being an "expert." For them getting the numbers to turn green on the display is good enough.

That stuff is a good start. You'll also want a level surface. A cheap laser level plus some linoleum tiles works well.

To set the toe and make sure there is no thrust strings tied to jackstands works. The fancy way is a real string setup or something like these but unless you are getting paid to do alignments it's a little pricey.

Last edited by jamal; 11-03-2012 at 12:43 AM.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
fatoni (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Since you live in Socal, you always have the option to go to West End in Gardena. That's if you live somewhat close and want a top of the line alignment. West End is considered to be the best among many that track there cars.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanakuso For This Useful Post:
fatoni (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
BRZranger

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
This would be really cool, especially if you want to change suspension ride heights often.
BRZranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
subaruferrucci

Drives: FR-s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
most of the stuff you have posted there you could make at home for ALOT cheaper.

camber gauge can be made with a digital level and scrap flat stock

toe can be done with a tape measure and some sheet metal

the plates you have on the bottom can be made with 2 plates and some grease

here are some DIY rigs for ideas
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/c...e/viewall.html

http://www.elantragtclub.com/id554.html

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZoL1gaWedA"]DIY Alignment - Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjcP07VKVZM&feature=fvwrel"]DIY Alignment - Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]
subaruferrucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
There is a DIY on nasioc that is really good. I'd post the link but I'm on my phone.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
grodenglaive

Drives: asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Toe is pretty easy to do yourself, you just have to be very precise in your measurements. I haven't had much luck with camber though, since my garage isn't very level, but that tile method above looks like it would work.
If you do a lot of track days or autocross, it's great to be able to do this stuff yourself to experiment with different settings. The professional alignments are too expensive for that.
grodenglaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #9
TemeCal

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies everyone. I watched several of these DIY videos last week, but to be honest...I'd rather just pay for an easy to use gauge. From what I've read, the digital Longacre gauges are pretty accurate and easy to use.

I have a great shop I've always used for my alignments before I track my cars. However, it'd be nice to quickly check the specs on all my vehicles. Between my wife's vehicle, my truck, the FR-S and my daughters cars...it gets tiring and expensive doing alignments so frequently.
TemeCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I do my own. I use Smart Strings and the Smart Camber kit. Depending how long it takes us to get the string square (usually up to 30 minutes to be perfect), it takes us about 1.5 hours to align a car exactly the way we want. Since I tend to do as many as 4 per year per car I race, it's well worth the savings especially since I borrow the tools from a good friend.
TemeCal (11-07-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
SOneThreeCoupe

Drives: 1992 Nissan 240SX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I typically use Darin at West End's services if I have to go to a shop.

Between West End visits, I use two lengths of conduit on jack stands and some string, although Smart Strings would be the best. I can typically get it within 1/32" by spending a lot of time on setup. The Smart Strings work on any surface and would be easier to swap from car to car.

For camber/caster, I use a Longacre setup with their digital gauge for camber and bubble for caster. I recommend finding a DIY for turn plates, as they come in handy for caster changes.
SOneThreeCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SOneThreeCoupe For This Useful Post:
TemeCal (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't you rather just spend the money and have the experts do it for you? On top of that, they would use the state of the art equipment to align your car and not the do-it-yourselfer stuff you listed.
I've seen ALMS LMP teams align their race cars with string, and tape measures. As long as you know the car is level in both axis as a starting point you can get VERY accurate results without laser tools.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
zoomzoomers (11-13-2012)