follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-03-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stereo Build help

So I have been saving up couple bucks here and there when I have the extra change. I have about $1500 to spend right now. But the quotes I got today to do a stereo were well over that. One place said $3000 another said $2700.

The guy who quoted me $2700 was going to do fiberglass pods in rear for rear speakers even though I told him rear speakers wasnt really a big deal. Amp mounted under trunk mat by spare tire. Fiberglass enclosure in side pocket. Stereo was going to be the Pioneer 8500. Wanted the mirror link capabilities. And then change front speakers to Hertz 2 way components.

I opted to do this install in pieces. Was going to go ahead and do the stereo with amp and sub and wired for the speakers and build the fiberglass pods. I don't have time to do it, so I can't save myself any money.

I could try to make the time and do it but I don't have any experience building the box. I could get one made from @256 Motoring. They aren't too far from Atlanta. And then just wire it all up myself. (I've done my previous vehicles)

So in a nutshell... Should I:
1) Wait till I have the rest of the money
2) Do base i.e.( Head unit, amp, sub, prewiring high's)
3) Wait and spend the money on other mods i.e. (wheels and tired, or body kit, or lights, or strut bars, etc. )

Please let me know what amps and subs you recommend as well. Keep in mind I value everyone's opinion... and I know its my choice for what I choose, but so many of you have already done the leg work and can tell me how you felt after doing your set ups. It will help me decide what I want to do. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
Chee-Hu

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Have you looked in the OEM Plus systems? I hear nothing but good things.
Chee-Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
ravenblackfrs

Drives: 2013 Raven Black FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chee-Hu View Post
Have you looked in the OEM Plus systems? I hear nothing but good things.
I have not... never even heard of it. Will search now. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
my vote is to do it as you have time/money for such things, and do it yourself. my preference is to upgrade the deck, then the front stage, then the subs..

it sounds like the stereo shops you went to were more willing to sell you on their idea of a good system, instead of selling what you wanted in a good system...
ravenblackfrs (10-03-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Zippy

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ WRB AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think I would start with getting the doors, trunk area, and rear passenger side panel cavities sound deadened first. Make what you have sound better and go from there. This will add weight to the vehicle but it will make it sound alot better. There are plenty of builds that show where sound deaden-er was added and what brands were used. Done properly, you will have no rattle from your doors. with a complete system install.

I will give credit to Toyota here. They do a good job in placement of their speakers for sound quality. Factory locations do sound good and were chosen acoustically by Toyota. I recommend staying with a 3 way setup for your front stage instead of a two way. And by all means no rear pods.

As for the amps, I went Class D amps for the efficiency of them. With a smaller engine, it will have to work harder to produce the required amperage. Class D amps are the most efficient types of amps. If you want sound quality, then Class A will be the best. Brand really doesn't matter. If you will not be getting a DSP, then make sure the amps have built in crossovers and can do high and lo pass.

You can do a prefab sub box in the trunk corners with a sub and amp. JL makes a good one and there is one available here on the forums. Give a listen to the subs available at the local shops and then go with what you like best. Just because it's a JL prebuilt stealth box does not force you into putting a JL sub in it.

In a nutshell my recommendation for the first $1500 would be:
1. sound deaden the vehicle
2. Add a sub amp and sub on to system to fill it out.
3. Keep the left over $ for next stage.
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zippy For This Useful Post:
Sbeezy (10-06-2013)