follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2017, 01:51 AM   #1
dillanp86

Drives: 2010 Acura TL
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question weird vibration/camber

Hello experts!

So I recently bought a set of gramlights 57xtreme 18x9.5 square. Running 255/35/18 and I'm am RS1 so I got the TRD lowering springs.
I learned from the previous owner of the wheels that'll I'll need 5mm spacers for the front two wheels. I just ordered them, along with some Cuzco camber plates. The previous owner sent some spacers with the wheels but they weren't hub centric, long story short, I get a strong vibration whenever going north of 75mph. I'm hoping the new spacers with the new bolts will solve that. Main question is what else should be causing the vibration, along with what degree of camber for the front and rear? Rear LCA are coming soon hopefully..

Ps: previous owner of wheels also just had them rebalanced before shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dillanp86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:36 AM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillanp86 View Post
Hello experts!

So I recently bought a set of gramlights 57xtreme 18x9.5 square. Running 255/35/18 and I'm am RS1 so I got the TRD lowering springs.
I learned from the previous owner of the wheels that'll I'll need 5mm spacers for the front two wheels. I just ordered them, along with some Cuzco camber plates. The previous owner sent some spacers with the wheels but they weren't hub centric, long story short, I get a strong vibration whenever going north of 75mph. I'm hoping the new spacers with the new bolts will solve that. Main question is what else should be causing the vibration, along with what degree of camber for the front and rear? Rear LCA are coming soon hopefully..

Ps: previous owner of wheels also just had them rebalanced before shipping.

More info needed.
Offset? Double check lug nuts. Find out where vibration is coming from and swap out wheel to another corner.
Why would previous owner rebalance them them before shipping? Sounds fishy. He possibly couldn't get them to balance and god rid of them. I'd rebalance them.
When was the last time you had an alignment? was the before or after the springs? I'd get an alignment.
Spacers, hubcentric or not won't matter as long as you tighten correctly.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:09 AM   #3
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Sounds to me like he curbed the wheel and now has a nice wobble to it.
I really don't see how spacers and camber would sove a bad wheel.

As per Swarb said it maybe possible that the lug nuts are not seating properly.
Another thing you could do is get the wheel and tire roadforce balanced, it costs more but it's with the price if you tried everything else.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
dillanp86

+40 offset and the vibration is coming from the front two wheels. The seller seems legit and friendly. Just got the alignment on Monday. I feel like part of the issue is the bolts aren't long enough, read on here that anything over 3mm spacers will need longer bolts.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #5
dillanp86

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
More info needed.

Offset? Double check lug nuts. Find out where vibration is coming from and swap out wheel to another corner.

Why would previous owner rebalance them them before shipping? Sounds fishy. He possibly couldn't get them to balance and god rid of them. I'd rebalance them.

When was the last time you had an alignment? was the before or after the springs? I'd get an alignment.

Spacers, hubcentric or not won't matter as long as you tighten correctly.

^

Old 05-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
swarb

Quote:
+40 offset and the vibration is coming from the front two wheels. The seller seems legit and friendly. Just got the alignment on Monday. I feel like part of the issue is the bolts aren't long enough, read on here that anything over 3mm spacers will need longer bolts.

Recommend minimum thread engagement is 1:1 the width of the bolt. Stud is m12 aka 12mm. 1.25 threading, you need 10 turns to get to 12.5mm. 3mm spacer should work. 5mm spacer, you are at 8 turns or so aka not enough thread engagement. On other cars, 5mm fits fine because they have 1.5 threading, 8 turns=12mm.

Put your phone up there and take a pic or video to see how much clearance you have then try 3mm spacers.

9.5 width does not fit well on stock struts, they either poke a lot or are dangerously close(<5mm) to rubbing. As soon as you lower it, add camber, etc, the clearance is even less. Or take the risk with 5mm spacers. Either way, not too safe.

That is why everyone always says, -just get coils.
You want big boy wheels? Get big boy suspension. Or step it down a notch... Or get extended lugs... Or live dangerously.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
dillanp86

Quote:
Recommend minimum thread engagement is 1:1 the width of the bolt. Stud is m12 aka 12mm. 1.25 threading, you need 10 turns to get to 12.5mm. 3mm spacer should work. 5mm spacer, you are at 8 turns or so aka not enough thread engagement. On other cars, 5mm fits fine because they have 1.5 threading, 8 turns=12mm.

Put your phone up there and take a pic or video to see how much clearance you have then try 3mm spacers.

9.5 width does not fit well on stock struts, they either poke a lot or are dangerously close(<5mm) to rubbing. As soon as you lower it, add camber, etc, the clearance is even less. Or take the risk with 5mm spacers. Either way, not too safe.

That is why everyone always says, -just get coils.
You want big boy wheels? Get big boy suspension. Or step it down a notch... Or get extended lugs... Or live dangerously.

Thanks! Already ordered the spacers so I'll play it safe. There is just a little rubbing at full lock without the 5mm spacers. I'll have to save up for coils

Old 05-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #8
swarb

Quote:
Thanks! Already ordered the spacers so I'll play it safe. There is just a little rubbing at full lock without the 5mm spacers. I'll have to save up for coils

Find out where it is rubbing. I could be the inner lip. Or the tie rod. 3mm is cutting it really close. Does it still vibrate with the spacers off?
Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Stop doing "north of 75" until you get it sorted out. Things can go wrong fast!
Old 05-12-2017, 11:42 PM   #10
dillanp86

Question weird vibration/camber

Quote:
Find out where it is rubbing. I could be the inner lip. Or the tie rod. 3mm is cutting it really close. Does it still vibrate with the spacers off?

I believe it's the inner lip touching the spring. Will have to jack up the car and see, useless while it's on the ground. And yeah pretty sure it did still do the same thing out with the spacers
Old 05-12-2017, 11:43 PM   #11
dillanp86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Stop doing "north of 75" until you get it sorted out. Things can go wrong fast!

No worries I'm keeping it easy for now :'(

The Following User Says Thank You to dillanp86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-13-2017)