follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
FoxtrotRomeo-Sierra

Drives: 2008 Civic SI, 2013 Hot Lava FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Extended Warranty?

So I got a great deal on an auto loan through USAA, 3% APR/60 month loan. They offered me an extended warranty of 72 months/75,000 miles over Scion's 36 month/36,000 mile warranty on everything outside of basic wear and tear for a total of $400 over the life of the loan. Normally I wouldn't go for any extended warranty, but this looks like a great deal to me. Any thoughts?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #2
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotRomeo-Sierra View Post
So I got a great deal on an auto loan through USAA, 3% APR/60 month loan. They offered me an extended warranty of 72 months/75,000 miles over Scion's 36 month/36,000 mile warranty on everything outside of basic wear and tear for a total of $400 over the life of the loan. Normally I wouldn't go for any extended warranty, but this looks like a great deal to me. Any thoughts?
If you are somebody who normally keeps a car for 5 years and 50K or so miles, it seems like a great deal. If you normally keep a car for 3-4 years and less than 50K miles I would probably pass.

Do you know if the warranty is transferable?
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
If you plan on modding your car, don't waste your money.

However if you plan on keeping it stock then it might not be a bad deal, especially since these are brand new cars with no prior history (good or bad)
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy View Post
If you plan on modding your car, don't waste your money.

However if you plan on keeping it stock then it might not be a bad deal, especially since these are brand new cars with no prior history (good or bad)
True to a certain extent. A common myth about car warranties is that if you start throwing on mods, your warranty is voided on everything, which isn't 100% true. The mod will only void the warranty on the specific parts it will affect.

For example, if I buy an aftermarket headunit and my shocks blow out, i'm still under warranty for the shocks. Lets say you throw on an aftermarket ECU and blow your engine, then you most likely voided your warranty
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
bimmerboy

Drives: 2009 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
True to a certain extent. A common myth about car warranties is that if you start throwing on mods, your warranty is voided on everything, which isn't 100% true. The mod will only void the warranty on the specific parts it will affect.

For example, if I buy an aftermarket headunit and my shocks blow out, i'm still under warranty for the shocks. Lets say you throw on an aftermarket ECU and blow your engine, then you most likely voided your warranty

You must not have dealt with SoA... They are the kings of denying warranties left and right. How do I know? Happened on my wrx... Legally isn't right but how many people will actually take SoA to court?

This car is has warranty claims denials written all over it, as many young enthusiasts will mod their cars, and then take in their modded car for warranty work only to discover their warranty has been voided even if its not-related.

Don't get me wrong there are some cool dealerships out there, but just be smart about your warranty and always remember you have to pay to play.
bimmerboy is offline   Reply With Quote