follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #113
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This topic should be it's own thread IMO. I get the connection, because IF the MR2 ever returns it's almost certainly going to be an EV. But, this should be it's own thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
MT's in the past had purpose, like better Fuel economy than automatics and you were able to extract max power from an engines powerband. It has no benefits nowadays as autos are much better at those now.
I disagree. They still have benefits. Manuals do exactly what you tell them to do. Automatics, no matter how good, do not. It's that simple. Ever hear about manuals overheating? Almost never. Automatics? Quite often. And if your transmission starts acting weird you know it immediately and can troubleshoot it almost as quickly. Automatic starts acting weird? LOL, good luck trying to figure that out. Could be almost (literally) a hundred different issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-16-2023), FR-S2GT86 (06-17-2023), Ohio Enthusiast (06-16-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 12:24 PM   #114
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Electrified driver seat
The seats in the LYRIQ (and really also ICE Cadillacs) have this already. It buzzes your butte all the time. "Hey, there's something on your left" (left cheek buzz), "Hey, you are on SuperCruise and falling asleep" (full check buzz) or "hey, Supercruise is passing this guy on the left" (another left check buzz).

Should be easy to replace the buzz with something a little more "noticable".

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 12:25 PM   #115
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Does it need to have a mechanical advantage? Perhaps all it needs to be is "its an MT yo" since nowadays damn near everything's more efficient than an MT.

CVT's got fake gearing so it felt more "normal" and it benefits no one because of it (or from what i heard the "fake" gears actually detract performance and fuel efficiency).

MT's in the past had purpose, like better Fuel economy than automatics and you were able to extract max power from an engines powerband. It has no benefits nowadays as autos are much better at those now.

EV's are pretty much "press gas to go" and they're super efficient at it. So basically the purpose of an MT in this era would really just be "its an MT yo!"
And perhaps that's all its needed to be, and in this case the entire MT experience is what Toyoda wants rather than just be a video game.
I would appreciate a manual and analog experience over an auto, but there is a point where a synthetic experience is worse than just having a gearless experience. I wouldn’t want a fake manual like I wouldn’t want fake engine noise, but I would take a drop in performance and range for something authentic and engaging.
FR-S2GT86 (06-17-2023), WolfpackS2k (06-19-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 12:32 PM   #116
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Does it need to have a mechanical advantage? Perhaps all it needs to be is "its an MT yo" since nowadays damn near everything's more efficient than an MT.
No, of course it doesn't have to be, but that is the likely reason it would be there for the masses, not the enthusiast. Very few cars are built for the enthusiast.

Quote:
CVT's got fake gearing so it felt more "normal" and it benefits no one because of it (or from what i heard the "fake" gears actually detract performance and fuel efficiency).
And, to my point, it shouldn't have been done for that very reason. People would have gotten used to it, just like they do in EV.

Quote:
EV's are pretty much "press gas to go" and they're super efficient at it. So basically the purpose of an MT in this era would really just be "its an MT yo!"
And perhaps that's all its needed to be, and in this case the entire MT experience is what Toyoda wants rather than just be a video game.
All this could completely be faked in software as an optional mode. No different than adding a "Sport", "Touring" or "Warpspeed on Launch" mode to me. Heck, you could even have it pretend to do perfect double shifts or heel/toe stuff and have a third petal descend from under the dash like a Logitech controller.

The question is, is there really enough of an audience for it?

Old 06-16-2023, 08:55 PM   #117
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Ugm, they do, which is why the MT is all but dead.

Frankly I don't see the point of making the car more mechanically complicated for no specific reason. I love a MT and there are advantages to a MT in ICE, but there are none in an EV. At least none that can't be overcome otherwise.

Gearing on an EV really only helps in increasing the top end speed.

Besides the "because it's an MT, yo" argument, what are the true mechanical advantages?
there simply isn't.

even in the 86, there's really no mechanical advantage to the manual over the automatic. the automatic with the paddles does everything that the manual technically does. there's absolutely no reason for the clutch other than driver engagement.
Dadhawk (06-17-2023), FR-S2GT86 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 09:41 AM   #118
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
there simply isn't.

even in the 86, there's really no mechanical advantage to the manual over the automatic. the automatic with the paddles does everything that the manual technically does. there's absolutely no reason for the clutch other than driver engagement.

Driver engagement and integrating yourself as a part of the machine, becoming one with it. You simply don't get that experience with an A/T. Hell, I even manually shift the automatic vehicles that I drive.

Manual transmissions are also less expensive, less complicated and easier to maintain and repair. Nobody rebuilds automatics anymore, and if you CAN find a shop to do it, it's super expensive. I've never had to rebuild a transmission, but I could probably pull off rebuilding a M/T in my own garage with the right tools.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (06-19-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #119
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
I've never had to rebuild a transmission, but I could probably pull off rebuilding a M/T in my own garage with the right tools.
I've had multiple AT on the family vehicle that have outlived the engine at over 250K miles with just normal maintenance. Only ever had to rebuild one and that was because my son accidentally poured engine oil in it and didn't tell anyone (actually just didn't realize he had done it).

Last edited by Dadhawk; 06-19-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:53 PM   #120
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i had an auto partly rebuilt. it was about $2500 about 10 years ago

one of the wave springs was known to delaminate within the trans, and the pieces would grenade the trans pump. had to pull apart, clean the entire thing, replace the wave spring, replace the torque converter(due to it's fluid capacity, to ensure that all the rogue pieces were removed, replace the trans fluid pump..
Dadhawk (06-19-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 02:34 PM   #121
Futaba

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
While I'm not averse to the idea of an MT EV, changing gears manually on an electric motor doesn't sound like it would have the same sort of feel or connection as doing so with an ICE, and i'd imagine one of the biggest reasons why EV are automatic when they have a transmission system is because they by their very nature have to stretch every last mile out of the battery, and regenerate battery whenever possible, both things that would be impacted pretty hugely by a manual transmission.
Futaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 04:17 PM   #122
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futaba View Post
While I'm not averse to the idea of an MT EV, changing gears manually on an electric motor doesn't sound like it would have the same sort of feel or connection as doing so with an ICE, and i'd imagine one of the biggest reasons why EV are automatic when they have a transmission system is because they by their very nature have to stretch every last mile out of the battery, and regenerate battery whenever possible, both things that would be impacted pretty hugely by a manual transmission.
So would my right foot, but I’m hoping for a accelerator pedal.