follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > Subaru BRZ General Forum

Subaru BRZ General Forum All discussions about the Subaru BRZ coupe


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2018, 02:22 AM   #43
why?
Only happy when it rains.
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Drives: series.blue
Location: Harnett county NC
Posts: 1,258
Thanks: 2,578
Thanked 608 Times in 397 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FineVisionz View Post
Well fortunately enough for me, I live in a fairly flat area with smooth roads. Are you still on stock suspension/ride height? If you are, doesn't the sti front lip only "lower" the front of the car maybe 1 - 1.5 inch?
I am still on the stock suspension, but since I removed everything I could behind the front seats the car actually is raised a bit.

I'm not sure it is even that much lower, I had no problems with it when I was living in Mass. It is just this area can get random torrential downpours that rival Florida and I'll also admit I'm not one of those people that is going to baby any car.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #44
wild03
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: Silver 2017 Limited with PP
Location: Florida
Posts: 70
Thanks: 17
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikna View Post
What am I doing wrong here? When I shift to second gear, tachometer goes way down and when I release the clutch, tach jumps? For example, when I shift at 3,000 RPM, tach goes to 1,500 RPM during gear change, and while releasing the clutch tach jumps back and forth around 2,000 RPM.
You said, that's what you are doing wrong.

I try to only drop about 500 rpm. Ideally if you match the rpm for that gear at the going speed the shift would be smooth...I think.
wild03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #45
ermax
Senior Member
 
ermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Raven
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 358
Thanked 896 Times in 545 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What should I look out for when buying used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikna View Post
What am I doing wrong here? When I shift to second gear, tachometer goes way down and when I release the clutch, tach jumps? For example, when I shift at 3,000 RPM, tach goes to 1,500 RPM during gear change, and while releasing the clutch tach jumps back and forth around 2,000 RPM.


You are taking too long to complete the shift. You are also probably fully lifting off the throttle when really you want to lift just enough to drop the revs about 1000 before letting the clutch back out. It just takes practice. You will get the timing with lots of practice and then it becomes second nature.

Edit: this morning on the way to work I paid more attention to how much I lift (like I said it becomes second nature and you no longer think about it) and I do actually fully lift. But I also complete my shifts quickly so I donít need to do a partial lift to prevent the revs from dropping too fast or too much.

Last edited by ermax; 10-12-2018 at 08:28 AM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #46
wild03
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: Silver 2017 Limited with PP
Location: Florida
Posts: 70
Thanks: 17
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
You are taking too long to complete the shift. You are also probably fully lifting off the throttle when really you want to lift just enough to drop the revs about 1000 before letting the clutch back out. It just takes practice. You will get the timing with lots of practice and then it becomes second nature.

Edit: this morning on the way to work I paid more attention to how much I lift (like I said it becomes second nature and you no longer think about it) and I do actually fully lift. But I also complete my shifts quickly so I donít need to do a partial lift to prevent the revs from dropping too fast or too much.
I concur with the 1k drop at least from 1stt to second. Also if you are a slow shifter youll probably have to let the clutch out slowly as you rev engive to match the rpm for that gear at that speed...

Anyone knows of a graph for the speed to rpm for each gear?
wild03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:22 PM   #47
Chikna
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
Location: Houston
Posts: 96
Thanks: 7
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild03 View Post
I concur with the 1k drop at least from 1stt to second. Also if you are a slow shifter youll probably have to let the clutch out slowly as you rev engive to match the rpm for that gear at that speed...

Anyone knows of a graph for the speed to rpm for each gear?
I was asked to release throttle completely during gear changes and once gear is changed then apply throttle. Do you think my teacher is wrong and how do I correct it now? Thanks.
Chikna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #48
ZionsWrath
Thanks
 
ZionsWrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: BRZ
Location: NY
Posts: 3,946
Thanks: 5,842
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
OP, listen to the engine. Know the difference between HPFP, DI, and engine knock.
__________________
ZionsWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #49
ermax
Senior Member
 
ermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Raven
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 358
Thanked 896 Times in 545 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild03 View Post
I concur with the 1k drop at least from 1stt to second. Also if you are a slow shifter youll probably have to let the clutch out slowly as you rev engive to match the rpm for that gear at that speed...

Anyone knows of a graph for the speed to rpm for each gear?
I've been meaning to hunt down a tool for generating charts and just never think about it. Thanks for reminding me. I found this one that looks really freaking cool:
https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx

Or use this link to preset all the details for a 2013 MT with 215/45R17:
https://apx6u.app.goo.gl/gu73

Last edited by ermax; 10-12-2018 at 04:43 PM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #50
DandoX
Senior Member
 
DandoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Location: Ca, Bay Area
Posts: 459
Thanks: 371
Thanked 262 Times in 162 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
In addition to everything that has been said. I always look closely at the engine hood liner or the condition of the underside of the hood which can tell you if anything has sprayed fluid anywhere or abnormal heat markings. Also get the car lifted on stands and crawl around under there with a flashlight, look for rust, broken metal and the condition of everything in general. Typically you can get a rough ideal of how the car was treated from doing those things.
__________________
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:52 PM   #51
wild03
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: Silver 2017 Limited with PP
Location: Florida
Posts: 70
Thanks: 17
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I've been meaning to hunt down a tool for generating charts and just never think about it. Thanks for reminding me. I found this one that looks really freaking cool:
https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-geareng.aspx

Or use this link to preset all the details for a 2013 MT with 215/45R17:
https://apx6u.app.goo.gl/gu73
That's a nice tool, thank you.
wild03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:01 PM   #52
wild03
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Drives: Silver 2017 Limited with PP
Location: Florida
Posts: 70
Thanks: 17
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikna View Post
I was asked to release throttle completely during gear changes and once gear is changed then apply throttle. Do you think my teacher is wrong and how do I correct it now? Thanks.
I'm no expert, but I don't think it matters if you release throttle completely. What matters is that when you are on the next gear your rpm matches where the rpm should be for that gear at that speed.
For example, you rev to 3k on 1stgear and get to 15mph, you release throttle, shift, but by the time the clutch is engaging if the rpm are not close to 2k the car will jerk as the rpms from engine and transmission equalize.

See the tool posted above.

Releasing throttle completely is a way to prevent over reving or something.

I imagine that an expert just let's off the throttle a bit shifts and gets back on the throttle in a fluid motion.
wild03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:05 PM   #53
jsimon7777
Dismember
 
jsimon7777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Location: Castro Valley
Posts: 3,845
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,344 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Beyond the normal things, I'd look for signs of a turbo or supercharger install. I'd avoid heavily modded cars. Most aftermarket suspension setups are worse than stock. Get a manual. Have a good mechanic give an inspection.
jsimon7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is buying a used brz more beneficial then buying a new one? Jcas Subaru BRZ General Forum 60 10-20-2017 12:15 AM
Buying Used pitotshock Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 13 02-07-2017 10:34 AM
Buying an FR-S or BRZ? --my .2Ę Packofcrows Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 51 03-24-2015 10:12 PM
Buying a used OFT veck Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 6 09-04-2014 05:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.