follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Subaru BRZ > Subaru BRZ General Forum

Subaru BRZ General Forum All discussions about the Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #15
COBlue

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
'17 has a hill start assist but it's a major PITA. Just do it on your own: come to a stop on the hill and hold the foot brake, then pull the manual parking brake up. When you're ready to go, give it some gas, start to release the clutch and slowly let the hand brake down as the clutch bites. Eventually on smaller hills you won't need it, but on steep hills it's a great way to save your clutch. Worked like on charm on my 240Z in San Francisco...
COBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #16
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
You just need to keep practicing. You need to be quick with your feet and and have a good sense of the clutch sensitivity
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #17
DarkPira7e

Drives: 13 Firestorm Red FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
As said by maroon, clutch only starts will build this skillset. To take off on an incline, you let out to near the friction point and add more gas than is needed. Yes, you slip the clutch a bit, but how often are you stopping and starting in the middle of Kilimanjaro? Just keep at it all good things take time, failures, and effort
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #18
ls1ac

Drives: brz/Inovate, Noble M400,AC/LS7
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
stick?

Stick?
Attached Images

ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #19
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
I practiced just now about 10 rounds on a two mile street. Somewhat jerking is reduced.

Steps I followed for changing gears: 1st to 2nd release clutch quickly and hold at biting (friction) point for a second (1,000 RPM drop), apply little gas, and release all the way out - same process for all other gears. What I was doing I think wrong by not applying little gas while releasing. I was thought to apply gas after releasing clutch all the way out.

Releasing clutch slowly drops RPM very fast, by releasing clutch faster to biting point helps a lot. I think within a month I should be able to drive smoothly.

Am I right or wrong, comments please.
Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:49 AM   #20
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikna View Post
I practiced just now about 10 rounds on a two mile street. Somewhat jerking is reduced.

Steps I followed for changing gears: 1st to 2nd release clutch quickly and hold at biting (friction) point for a second (1,000 RPM drop), apply little gas, and release all the way out - same process for all other gears. What I was doing I think wrong by not applying little gas while releasing. I was thought to apply gas after releasing clutch all the way out.

Releasing clutch slowly drops RPM very fast, by releasing clutch faster to biting point helps a lot. I think within a month I should be able to drive smoothly.

You’re getting there. As I told you in the other thread where you asked about this “It’s more to do with properly synchronizing clutch/throttle inputs and less to do with how quickly you release the clutch pedal. The longer that you hold the clutch pedal, the more revs drop and the more you’ll need to apply the throttle to have a smooth shift. The “biting point” isn’t even something that should be felt except when starting from a standstill. Don’t overthink things, it will be second nature after a few months of driving.”
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:02 PM   #21
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
Quote:

That's an okay idea but not fully developed. If you're gonna drop the clutch sooner, it means you have to apply the right amount of throttle sooner too. 1st to 2nd in this car is usually jerky anyways, so the RPM drop in those gears don't matter too much. Once you hit 3rd,4th and so on, you'll see how much easier it is: not necessarily because you're used to it, but just because of how it works in this car.

For now, focus on not stalling and getting used to changing gear and learning the muscle memory stuff. The smoothness of shifting will come later.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
Chikna

Drives: 2018 BRZ TS 244/500
I watched this video and drove again as per Robbie - Watch from 10:38, it wasn't smooth. He just releases smoothly without even stopping at biting point. I am confused.

Chikna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #23
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,845 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
So, you sure you don't mean that 82% of Americans don't own a manual? Or maybe it's that 82% of cars owned by Americans are auto? I find the provided statistic to be un-plausible based on knowing quite a few people over the age of 50 or so...
Nope.
The report from U.S. News and World Report show only 18 percent of U.S. drivers know how to operate a stick shift. It says that because of advancements in automatic transmissions and fuel economy, only about 5 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S. today come with a stick shift. That’s down from 25 percent of cars in 1987.
https://washington.cbslocal.com/2016...-drive-manual/
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #24
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 1,541 Times in 985 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Nope.
The report from U.S. News and World Report show only 18 percent of U.S. drivers know how to operate a stick shift. It says that because of advancements in automatic transmissions and fuel economy, only about 5 percent of vehicles sold in the U.S. today come with a stick shift. That’s down from 25 percent of cars in 1987.
https://washington.cbslocal.com/2016...-drive-manual/
Always quote the actual source, not a re-report. Welcome to the age of clickbait and shoddy journalism.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...s-disappearing

Quote:
As drivers encounter more of these excellent modern automatics, fewer are interested in learning to drive a manual. The numbers are vague when looking for a percentage of people who at least know how to drive a stick, but they range from a high of 60 percent to a low of just 18 percent. “If you're of a certain age, you may never even have seen one,” says Seredynski.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #25
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,028 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Garage
Heck... I still stall it reversing in to the garage sometimes, and I've only owned one auto (for ~4 years) since '94 when I got my license finally. Prior to getting the license I would drive the tiny RWD Toyota pickup we had around the parking lot, just practicing starts.

It takes practice. I find being able to hear things helps me so I usually turn the music off now when I'm backing into the garage. And the tip about keeping your heel on the floor works, not because of friction, but because it isolates the large muscle groups (which don't have much finesse) and you only use small muscle groups (which do).
Old 09-01-2018, 02:19 PM   #26
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,845 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Always quote the actual source, not a re-report. Welcome to the age of clickbait and shoddy journalism.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...s-disappearing
I tried. When I click that link, all I get is an "access denied" error. The numerous other stories that refer back to that article all just say 18%.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #27
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:

So eventually you want there to be no slipping of the clutch when changing gears. The only time you want to slip the clutch is when starting from a stop. If rpms still need to drop that's a really fast gear change and you'll feel the car lurch forward. Give it a bit of gas at the same time and you'll feel like a hero lol. If it bucks forward, the change was too slow.

You have a good start, try reducing the amount of slippage and focus on getting your timing right.

FYI, I still have bad shifts sometimes (usually at least 1 per drive) and I've been driving stick for 9 years now. I also need to slip clutch into gear occasionally if something surprises me mid shift requiring spending some time in neutral. Car's still running so it's fine on an occasional basis imo.
Old 09-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #28
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I tried. When I click that link, all I get is an "access denied" error. The numerous other stories that refer back to that article all just say 18%.
. Works on my machine.

18% is a more alarming number, hence better for clicky-clicky ady-ady