follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-01-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
*KID*
86-er

Drives: BRZ tS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Review: Supertek Industries intake tube

Placed an order on a new intake tube after my Perrin intake tube was getting cut up by the drive belt. I was looking into a clean design and @Supertek Industries had what I was looking for; wrinkle black with black couplings.
Straight out the box

Installation: It was a pretty easy install. I had a Perrin tube before so I had already taken off the sound tube. Took about 5 minutes to install. The package came with everything you need for installation.

Clearance from tube to drive belt

Old Perrin intake tube; notice the cut.

Driving impressions: Sounds great at WOT. Still has the same response as the Perrin intake tube gave me. The only small difference if any was maybe a better take off response. It feels slightly better than a rubber tube and construction is a A+

Shipping and service: quick and easy, very helpful and provided tracking number right away. Product arrived before given date which was pretty great after having a hard day at work, really got me happy to receiving this.
dave77 (01-02-2014), EAZYBRZY (02-20-2014), evil_1998 (01-01-2014), humfrz (01-01-2014), jbravo373 (01-01-2014), JonAvalon (01-03-2014), RehabJeff86 (01-01-2014), xDanger_208x (01-01-2014)
Old 01-01-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
xDanger_208x

Drives:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Would you say this produces more intake noise than the silicon piece you had before?
Old 01-01-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
If it used rubber couplers and factory clamps, that would be as close to oem looking as possible.
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 PM   #4
Supertek Industries

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanks for the review, we are glad you are satisfied. All other preorders are shipping shortly and look forward to more feedback!

Supertek Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Supertek Industries For This Useful Post:
stratodyne (05-23-2015)
Old 01-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
FR-Sizzle

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is the Perrin Intake Tube hitting the drive belt a big issue? I havent seen anyone report of that happening until your made this review. Could you of gotten a bad part perhaps?

I believe Evasive sells an intake tube too that is carbon fiber which is extremely nice. It is just a little more than the Perrin Intake Tube. I believe its like just around 200 bucks. 50 more dollars for a carbon fiber intake tube that has a similar design to Perrins with a smooth bend unlike the avo/zetas where it is just a 90 degree angle where the tube bends.
FR-Sizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Figure I may as well add mine here instead of another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
Received mine today.
Outside powder coat was perfect, inside of the pipe was kind of weird.
There were a couple of dark mounds of something (I'm assuming from the powder coat?) that I scraped/filed down as well as some metal sticking out that I also filed down.
There where also pieces I took off the ends of the tube that were jagged/hanging off that I forgot to take pics of before filing down.
Inside the pipe is pretty rough, not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not.
Not a huge issue but I would expect to receive it without those defects considering the Perrin CAI is perfectly smooth on the inside.

Curious to know if others have the same issues.

These pics are after filing down the dark mounds but not the metal.

So after getting rid of that junk...

I also had no idea what the included little black plug thing was for so I shoved it on the sound tube thing.
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew025 For This Useful Post:
JonAvalon (01-14-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #7
Supertek Industries

Hi,

Great pictures, looks like a nice setup!

In regards to the plug yes it is for the sound tube delete.

For the inside of the pipe, this is a cast aluminum unit so the texture inside will be similar to that of a OEM intake manifold or cylinder head.

As far as the metal sticking do not worry, we are having the production line go over EACH ONE today to ENSURE there will not be future issues and correcting.

Thanks for sharing!

Overall how do you like the sound and performance of the product?
Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #8
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertek Industries View Post
Hi,

Great pictures, looks like a nice setup!

In regards to the plug yes it is for the sound tube delete.

For the inside of the pipe, this is a cast aluminum unit so the texture inside will be similar to that of a OEM intake manifold or cylinder head.

As far as the metal sticking do not worry, we are having the production line go over EACH ONE today to ENSURE there will not be future issues and correcting.

Thanks for sharing!

Overall how do you like the sound and performance of the product?
Probably just new mod placebo, but it feels like it pulls a bit better.
It definitely added a nice sound to the Perrin CAI. Also looks great with it as well.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #9
s2d4

Drives: R32 GTR, AW11 MR2 SC, GTS86 R
Thanked 1,223 Times in 708 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
yeah, I received mine too.

Decided to have a once over thanks to this thread.
It looks like they didn't take special care in not doing the inside so there is quite a lot of loose powder everywhere.
If I touch it, it flakes off.

Now that I've gone through and gotten rid of the all the loose powder, not entirely sure I want to put it on since I have no idea how well the powder is attached to the inside. Definitely don't want any of it to come off when the pipe heats up due to different rates of expansion between aluminium and the powder.

Looks like I'll need to take it to get it sand blasted to put my mind at ease..
s2d4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 AM   #10
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I like this! Which one would you guys say it gets colder air in the intake? i tend to believe that the silicone one, however the powder coating might make the whole difference to an aluminum tube.
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:19 AM   #11
jono_l

Drives: 86 GTS M/T 37J
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
yeah, I received mine too.

Decided to have a once over thanks to this thread.
It looks like they didn't take special care in not doing the inside so there is quite a lot of loose powder everywhere.
If I touch it, it flakes off.

Now that I've gone through and gotten rid of the all the loose powder, not entirely sure I want to put it on since I have no idea how well the powder is attached to the inside. Definitely don't want any of it to come off when the pipe heats up due to different rates of expansion between aluminium and the powder.

Looks like I'll need to take it to get it sand blasted to put my mind at ease..
As stated in the other thread in the vendors forum, mine is the same and I'm not comfortable putting it on the car until I have it sorted. Powder will flake off if I touch it, so this is effectively useless until I get it media blasted and/or have all the loose powder removed via other means.

Quote:
Hi,
Since you guys are implementing a new production process to fix the issue, will us early adopters be able to get a replacement for tubes which are having such issues?
jono_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
Supertek Industries

We will honor an exchange for anyone that particpated in the original buy on the product and is not satisfied. We did quite a bit of testing over the past few days and found that although the current finish on the interior of the pipe does not pose any danger to the engine nor to performance we are working to correct it for the near future.. This may take a few weeks so please be patient with us.

Thanks everyone for your support and be assured we are working quickly to correct it!
Old 01-17-2014, 02:30 AM   #13
jono_l

Drives: 86 GTS M/T 37J
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
We will honor an exchange for anyone that particpated in the original buy on the product and is not satisfied. We did quite a bit of testing over the past few days and found that although the current finish on the interior of the pipe does not pose any danger to the engine nor to performance we are working to correct it for the near future.. This may take a few weeks so please be patient with us.

Thanks everyone for your support and be assured we are working quickly to correct it!
Thanks for the update and reassurance that we will be looked after - appreciate that any new product has teething problems.

Please keep us posted on this
jono_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #14
ramiram1984

Drives: 2016 STi DGM
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sizzle View Post
Is the Perrin Intake Tube hitting the drive belt a big issue? I havent seen anyone report of that happening until your made this review. Could you of gotten a bad part perhaps?

I believe Evasive sells an intake tube too that is carbon fiber which is extremely nice. It is just a little more than the Perrin Intake Tube. I believe its like just around 200 bucks. 50 more dollars for a carbon fiber intake tube that has a similar design to Perrins with a smooth bend unlike the avo/zetas where it is just a 90 degree angle where the tube bends.
Prob didn't check clearance. With those things, it's always good to recheck after so many miles driven.