follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
MattF

Drives: s13<EP3<s14<RSX TYPE-S<WRX<GTI<FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
p000d CEL+Innovate supercharger

Well as the title states my car has decided that it would like to start giving me the p000d CEL+slip light (slow cam response) that has haunted so many of our cars. My problem is that since I have an after market supercharger installed I am fairly certain my dealership will not cover the repair under warranty. Even though in my opinion I feel as it should be. What are everyone's thoughts on the actions that I should take? I have not taken the car to the dealer yet for fear that they will just laugh at me when the pop the hood.
MattF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattF View Post
Well as the title states my car has decided that it would like to start giving me the p000d CEL+slip light (slow cam response) that has haunted so many of our cars. My problem is that since I have an after market supercharger installed I am fairly certain my dealership will not cover the repair under warranty. Even though in my opinion I feel as it should be. What are everyone's thoughts on the actions that I should take? I have not taken the car to the dealer yet for fear that they will just laugh at me when the pop the hood.
The fact that you have the innovate supercharger makes me think the best course of action would be to remove it before taking it into the dealership.
Chances are the issue is not related to the supercharger install at all, but the dealership may just try to use it against you.
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJCarbine For This Useful Post:
Wes (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
MattF

That is what I am thinking but that is such a pain. Especially since this is a known issue with this car unrelated to the supercharger..
Old 08-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
You could try flauting this list

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15577

It really depends on your dealership... but if they deny it while the supercharger is on there, you might be paying for it out of pocket
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
Ruckus

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
couple hours of work vs a couple large bills? no brainer... swap it.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
SigmaHyperion

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
They will absolutely, and completely rightfully, not cover your car under warranty. In this case, just because the vehicle has a penchant for throwing these codes doesn't mean that your supercharger install didn't cause them to be thrown on your car. It is a perfectly reasonable conclusion that your supercharger caused the problem and there's nothing that can be done to prove otherwise. Especially since there's not even any conclusion on what causes this problem to begin with.

If you want any hope of getting it covered, take off the SC.

What's up with having this problem a month ago before your supercharger was installed though? Did you already take it in once a month ago and get it fixed once? Or did you install a supercharger on an engine that was already intermittently throwing codes?
SigmaHyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #7
MattF

It was throwing a different code before. They cleared the code and said they were not going to do anything because it didn't come back drove the car for two weeks no more codes installed the blower and it had no problem for a few weeks now it is giving me the p000d code.

Last edited by MattF; 08-15-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
My honest answer is that if you had the money to supercharge it and throw away your engine warranty, then you need to either have the skills to fix this problem without the dealership, or suck it up and pay any costs to have it fixed. It doesn't hurt to take it to the dealer and see what they say though.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
MattF

I would fix it myself but there is no clear path to a direct fix. If someone has a you replace x part and it will fix it I would do that but no its basically a throw parts at it until one of them fixes it. Which can result in 2k worth of parts for troubleshooting it. Also I have not been able to find a direct copy of the Toyota the tech bulletin for the fix. I would have no problem paying to have it fixed if it was my negaligance that caused it. This is a very common issue for this car and it is from faulty parts from the manufacturer.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I would fix it myself but there is no clear path to a direct fix. If someone has a you replace x part and it will fix it I would do that but no its basically a throw parts at it until one of them fixes it. Which can result in 2k worth of parts for troubleshooting it. Also I have not been able to find a direct copy of the Toyota the tech bulletin for the fix. I would have no problem paying to have it fixed if it was my negaligance that caused it. This is a very common issue for this car and it is from faulty parts from the manufacturer.
I'm pretty sure you knew before you went FI that it might void the warranty, I say suck it up and go see them and if they can fix it, you'll be glad to get that fixed up even if you have to shell out some cash. You paied alot to get that supercharger don't cheap out of maintaining your car.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
MattF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayme View Post
I'm pretty sure you knew before you went FI that it might void the warranty, I say suck it up and go see them and if they can fix it, you'll be glad to get that fixed up even if you have to shell out some cash. You paied alot to get that supercharger don't cheap out of maintaining your car.
Dont think I ever said I was going to cheap out on maintaining it. I am going to get it fixed just trying to guage what everyone thought the best course of action is. I have money to fix it but I am not one to just throw money at a problem and hope it will magically gets fixed. I have a feeling that the dealerships approach to fixing this issue is just to change parts until the light stops coming on. I am fine if they want to do that on there dime but I not if its on my dime.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:56 PM   #12
Frs300

Drives: Pile of junk
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Maybe @lexusb3 can help you he works at toyota
Frs300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frs300 For This Useful Post:
lexusb3 (08-16-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Read the forum members experience with this issue in the warranty section (be it cam sprocket replacement, oil screen replacement etc...) and how they fixed the issue and ask that specific part that finally fixed it to be changed if its in your dime.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #14
lexusb3
Banned

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
I can help u I hope lol or at least try pm me before you make move if I'm not to late
lexusb3 is offline   Reply With Quote