follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #1835
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
I heart you so much
:happy0180:
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #1836
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Main source of outcry isn't the GenCoupe, it was the 7 threads about it that popped up in different parts of the forum when we have a decent long-term thread in the right place.

There are members such as myself, that while leaning to the FR-S will not pull the trigger until both have been personally driven. So we compare and contrast in the meantime...

Exactly!
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #1837
fernan2

Drives: Wrx

2.0t wins!
fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #1838
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I remember one time a dealer let me hold a used 2.0T premium with the 19'' wheels added to it. The car was a blast even though it had 210hp. What made it so fun was the available torque 223lb-ft TQ after 2k-5k rpm and its light, planted feel around corners at good speed. It was as if the horsepower didn't matter to me. I still don't think the problem with the FRS/BRZ is the 0-60 time posted by IL. I couldn't care less about it. I just wonder how the torque feels around town at under 4k rpms where normal people drive.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #1839
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
I just don't understand why, we as enthusiasts, have to put another car down to put ours up? The cars will do what the cars will do. Everything else is purely subjective. I guess it's an insecurity thing...
For serious bro, for serious. It makes absolutely no sense to me how a person can claim to be an enthusiast but lack the ability to appreciate a car for what it is.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #1840
NERO

Drives: 2012 Honda Ruckus
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post

2.0t wins!
I'd still take a BRZ/FR-S. it's much easier to add HP than loose weight.
NERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #1841
SVTSHC
(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ

Drives: 2015 Series Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERO View Post
I'd still take a BRZ/FR-S. it's much easier to add HP than loose weight.
I could easily add some loose weight. Some sandbags hanging out the window connected to rope attached to my seat rails would do the trick . Lol sorry I couldn't resist.

"Sweet Subaru, sweet Subaru, send your BRZ unto me, for the roads of the unworthy must be baptized in speed and glory." ~Zaku
SVTSHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #1842
SUB-FT86
86 Member

I hear a lot people say cars like the size of a GC is boring to drive but I wonder if anybody ever gets bored of the smaller cars too? This isn't a knock against the FRS/BRZ but I wonder if anybody could get bored while driving it after awhile? I was crazy about my RSX only on the first day and then I got bored a bit after that day. It still has great feel IMO but I just felt like it wasn't enough like it was missing something.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #1843
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
I hear a lot people say cars like the size of a GC is boring to drive but I wonder if anybody ever gets bored of the smaller cars too? This isn't a knock against the FRS/BRZ but I wonder if anybody could get bored while driving it after awhile? I was crazy about my RSX only on the first day and then I got bored a bit after that day. It still has great feel IMO but I just felt like it wasn't enough like it was missing something.
Heres to issue i have when people say boring car. If the car is boring.. that means no matter what you try to change or do in terms of your own driving, the car is limiting you from fun.

If your bored of a car, that means you choose to be bored, aka your not looking for the fun in a car. And some people actually complain about this, that their cars are not engaging them..and whatever money they paid was wasted.

In my rx7 when it was stock with 200hp/185ftlbs. I was bored all the fucking time with that car..but the car wasn't boring. It was me as the driver. Now if i wanted to have fun..it was easy to switch from boring rx7 to not boring rx7.

In my heavy bloated 300zxTT, the car's weight was really evident in the steering as i tried to have fun. Which numbed the feel of the power i had. Which ultimately made it a boring fast car. No bueno.

I drove my buddie's 90' Miata and it was boring at the highway because it just lacked power. So in certain areas..no matter what i did..it was hard to enjoy the car..but it was more fun in other areas.

i suspect..the BRZ will be right around the same range as the rx7 and miata in terms of boring..AKA its not really a boring car.

but ya...not all small cars are fun. To me at least.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #1844
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
Heres to issue i have when people say boring car. If the car is boring.. that means no matter what you try to change or do in terms of your own driving, the car is limiting you from fun.

If your bored of a car, that means you choose to be bored, aka your not looking for the fun in a car. And some people actually complain about this, that their cars are not engaging them..and whatever money they paid was wasted.

In my rx7 when it was stock with 200hp/185ftlbs. I was bored all the fucking time with that car..but the car wasn't boring. It was me as the driver. Now if i wanted to have fun..it was easy to switch from boring rx7 to not boring rx7.

In my heavy bloated 300zxTT, the car's weight was really evident in the steering as i tried to have fun. Which numbed the feel of the power i had. Which ultimately made it a boring fast car. No bueno.

I drove my buddie's 90' Miata and it was boring at the highway because it just lacked power. So in certain areas..no matter what i did..it was hard to enjoy the car..but it was more fun in other areas.

i suspect..the BRZ will be right around the same range as the rx7 and miata in terms of boring..AKA its not really a boring car.

but ya...not all small cars are fun. To me at least.
Well said!!!
Old 03-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #1845
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador View Post
I find it inappropriate that whinging 6!tc4es keep complaining. Also, I object to you keeping it more PG. C0ckpit.
I love it.

Why should we keep it PG? This isn't a family forum.

PG-13 at least, for Mature content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTSHC View Post
I could easily add some loose weight. Some sandbags hanging out the window connected to rope attached to my seat rails would do the trick . Lol sorry I couldn't resist.
Wow, that was terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:30 PM   #1846
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
If a car bores you then the solution would be to lease said car for 1 or 2 years and just change to another car after the lease is over. Cuz by the time you're bored with the car it'll be time to change to another car to re-excite your senses!

So that means this whole BRZ/FRS vs whatever debate is moot because you'll be changing cars constantly and if one of the cars bored you you wont have it for long.

Downside? You'll constantly be paying car payments until you suck it up and keep a car for long term lol.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #1847
MTD

Drives: Hyundai
I had my test drive today. 2.0 manual Premium in the new grey colour. I have a bone stock (except for an intake) 2.0 manual GT. Drive was about 30 minutes on city roads without the salesmen.

If one word could describe my opinion of the car... refined.

The car is very, very smooth. The steering, shifter, clutch, suspension, you can tell have been improved. The shifts felt much better. Its no S2000 or Miata, but very much improved. I actually stalled it a few times too. The clutch grabs very quick and the throttle felt much faster too. The boost felt very smooth and it really kicks in around 5000rpm. with the TCS disabled, the rear end breaks loose very easily. Overall, the car felt much faster then mine and I didnt mind the softer ride of the Premium suspension and smaller wheels. Really nothing negative about the way the car feels and drives.

The interior was fantastic IMO. The Navi/headunit worked flawless, the HVAC settings show on the screen, stereo sounded better, the leather is far better quality, the power drivers seat and tilt and telescopic steering allowed a perfect seating position, the armrests and door panels now felt much softer with more padding and the overall darker colour (dash and headliner) looked very sporty and higher end. The new cluster looks awesome too. Only negatives, the Ipod/USB plug is now in the centre stack, but the cubby hole is too small for an iPhone or similar device, the shift knob is very plasticy and feels too light and the very smooth leather on the steering wheel felt slippery.

The new grey colour was nothing special IMO, but Ive never really liked the old grey either. The new LED tails look great. The front end is bulkier, but also much more aggressive looking. The fake hood vents you can really only see when standing outside the car and the black bar in the front bumper appears to be a separate part of the front bumper. New 18" wheels looked better too.

Overall, I think its an awesome improvement for a mid-model-upgrade. It really drives and feels like a new car and I dont realy have anything bad to say about. The lack of a 2.0 GT model and some of the colour choices are dumb, but the car is great.

Some iPhone pics.

MTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #1848
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Nice little write up. I always appreciate another perspective on cars. It's good to hear that the overall quality of the car has gone up too.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote