follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #43
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Dealer? No. Dealer charges tripple the cost of normal tire shop and at least mine also has long queue to wait.
Normal tire shop? Yes. I rather have tire shop remount for 18eur all four wheels (including balancing) with no hassle, then fscking myself with changing wheels in cold/bad weather (it's end of autumn or beginning of spring after all) for hour+ using tools included with car.
It's not about bragging, it's about comfort at more then reasonable cost. I overhauled in childhood engine and everything rest of moped myself. Don't get why it's absolute must to do on car aswell for self esteem, when i earn per hour many times over then what tire shop asks. Or you don't value your own time/work at all, it's "free"? For ones that have car maintenance as hobby and have tools & facilities? Why not. I have other hobbies. Financial sense to "save" $? BS.
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #44
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think the perspective is interesting. For me, it's WAY more of a hassle to deal with a shop, give them my car, wait around or pick it back up, then jacking it up, using a punch to knock out the stud, and slotting a $5 stud through and running it on with a crap nut and some washers.

I say this as a very mechanically inclined individual with a full garage at my disposal, for what that's worth.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
Old 12-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #45
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Do you seriously believe that all "kids" worked on their cars throughout history?. <remaining excellent rant snipped>....
Tcoat -- 100% agreement, although I think, much as I was earlier, you've been taken in by our newest troll du jour. Generally, the amount of helpful information and valid opinions are inversely proportional to lack of capitalization, substitution of "z" for "z" when pluralizing a word, and various other grammatical anachronisms that point to, say, a probable age of 12 - 14 years old.

"Mr." i heart ricers, I think the bell just rung.. go to science class. We adults are having a discussion.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #46
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
I think the perspective is interesting. For me, it's WAY more of a hassle to deal with a shop, give them my car, wait around or pick it back up, then jacking it up, using a punch to knock out the stud, and slotting a $5 stud through and running it on with a crap nut and some washers.

I say this as a very mechanically inclined individual with a full garage at my disposal, for what that's worth.
It sounds so simple but even some of the mechanically inclined guys here have struggled with the task. There was a day when I would indeed have just done it without even thinking about it but now without tools or space I begrudge the time it would take. Hell, even when I did do this sort of thing it probably took me longer just to get everything together that I needed than a proper shop would take to do the whole job.
Old 12-07-2016, 11:27 AM   #47
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
It sounds so simple but even some of the mechanically inclined guys here have struggled with the task. There was a day when I would indeed have just done it without even thinking about it but now without tools or space I begrudge the time it would take. Hell, even when I did do this sort of thing it probably took me longer just to get everything together that I needed than a proper shop would take to do the whole job.
Sure, totally agree with the time if you're not setup.

I think what gets me is that most shops are inconvenient. The convenience of driving home, cracking a beer, and doing the work without ever leaving my garage is much bigger than dirty hands and taking a shower when I'm done.

Just my perspective on it, a stripped stud is really quick IF you know what you're doing. If you don't totally understand the assembly, it could take a while. (extended studs aren't quick, have to pull the hub for those in the rear!)
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #48
i heart ricers

Drives: g37 - 370z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you seriously believe that all "kids" worked on their cars throughout history? I bet the number is closer to 10% than anything else. Because you did and I did does not mean that everybody did. Not to mention that back in those days a handful of wrenches, a couple of screwdrivers and a hammer were all you needed to rebuild an engine. That is simply not the case with modern cars. There are probably way more on this forum that do their own work than in the general public and it will still be a small percentage. Not realistic to look down your nose at people that do not have the facilities to store and change wheels. The dude living in a 20th floor one bedroom apartment isn't going to stake his off season wheels in the corner of his living room nor haul all the tools and jack down twice a year to do the work. Nothing sad about the whole thing and you need to stop applying your past and interests to those of the newer generation (or most of the old for that matter).
This is the topic that was being bitterly argued over when I was temp banned since the other dude just could not see that not everybody has the facilities or ability to even change their own oil so I am sensitive to the implications and insults thrown out at those that don't.
well jus got flaggd for that post for some reason

you cant change oil but want to mod your car

i have never met anyone like u this is nuts
Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #49
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i heart ricers View Post
well jus got flaggd for that post for some reason

you cant change oil but want to mod your car

i have never met anyone like u this is nuts
Me? If so I am perfectly capable of changing my oil but don't want too, not modding my car but if I was I would still probably pay to have it done, and have done many frame off restorations back in the day when I actually enjoyed doing such things so your prejudgment is way off base. There are many reasons why people can't or do not wish to work on their own cars and there is nothing wrong with it. I am not for one second telling people not to and would pitch in and help anybody that asked.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:23 PM   #50
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by i heart ricers View Post
kids dont own tools or work on ther cars these dayz

so sad

pay a dealer to swap winter wheels? im so disappointed in this generation
how old are you?
Old 12-07-2016, 12:46 PM   #51
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
Good God, people! You sure know how to derail a thread.

Congratulations to all the new users that have made it on the mod watch list, may the odds be ever in your favor.

OP, I trust you were sufficiently answered. If not: This car has very low quality studs. I've broken many of them. Used a dab of anti-sieze on all the lugs once every few changes and haven't had a problem since. That being said, anti seize can change torque values, so read up on it first (there are threads here about it!). I suggest picking up a couple spare lugs and lug nuts from the dealer. They are very easy to change yourself. You'll be fine to drive on 4 to the dealer to get it fixed, but don't forget about a missing lug, as a multitude of bad things can happen.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
carczar87 (12-07-2016), justatroll (12-07-2016), Tcoat (12-07-2016)

Closed Thread