follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
I always wonder about doing stuff like this. If you get in an accident after putting this on and the airbag deploys does that emblem become a permanent part of your face?

It my opinion, the Scion emblem is better looking than the Toyota "cowboy hat" so I am not sure why you would bother to switch. No matter what, it still a Toyota Scion FR-S. You are not going to fool anyone.
I wouldn't trust it for a second! The stock cover is designed to blow out of the way when the air bag deploys (it would take your head off if it ever hit you) but that thing could become a missile if it came off the cover!

It is funny because Scion is almost unheard of around where I live. I bet I have talked to over 200 people about my car and only 3 or 4 even had a clue that Scion existed as a brand much less that they made the FRS. Most of them seem to think it is some exotic, high end manufacturer! As "car guys" we tend to assume that EVERYBODY knows as much as we do when in reality the vast majority of the public has no clue!
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #30
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperTech View Post
yeah, i saw it, after taxes, import fees, money conversion and shipping, its almost the same for me. will wait for a trip to usa to buy direct from a us dealer.
oh. that sucks
Old 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #31
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Buys $25,000 car but can't afford $50 badges? Math doesn't compute.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #32
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Buys $25,000 car but can't afford $50 badges? Math doesn't compute.
Buys $30000 car (Canada) that needs gas that cost $6.00 a gallon (Again Canada)
Old 10-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #33
El Guapo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I wouldn't trust it for a second! The stock cover is designed to blow out of the way when the air bag deploys (it would take your head off if it ever hit you) but that thing could become a missile if it came off the cover!
The Scion badge is held in place by adhesive. The ad for this overlay states that the overlay is held in place by an adhesive as well. I would think that it would keep the overlay in place if the airbag should be deployed. If this overlay or the Scion badge were to come off during airbag deployment I don't think that it would hit anyone, it would most likely fly into the roof of the car or into the driver-side door.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #34
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
The Scion badge is held in place by adhesive. The ad for this overlay states that the overlay is held in place by an adhesive as well. I would think that it would keep the overlay in place if the airbag should be deployed. If this overlay or the Scion badge were to come off during airbag deployment I don't think that it would hit anyone, it would most likely fly into the roof of the car or into the driver-side door.
Didn't expect a big dispute on the subject but...
The fact that the overlay is glued on to something that is glued on to something else does not in any way alleviate my concern. Not to mention the quality of the add on adhesive could be dubious at best.
I have worked in Occupational Health and Safety for over 25 years and if I had a $ for every time I heard "it is most likely to" or "it should" while testing something that failed and could have killed somebody I could retire.
I work for what will soon be the second largest OEM auto parts manufacturer in the world and visited one of our facilities that tests some of the products we make which includes airbags. I once got to see some crash tests in action (very cool in real life by the way) and understand the full violence involved in the airbag deployment. The slow motion clips you see on TV do not impart the actual event at all.
The airbags are expanded by an explosive device in microseconds and I have seen what one can do to a crash test dummy (not the band) with a simple Bic pen placed on the test column. It ain't pretty I can tell you!
The worst case of airbag interference I ever saw was a guy that screwed a gauge cluster on his A pillar and lined it up perfectly covering the SRS label!

Now having said all that, you are very possibly correct in that there is no real hazard but it still would worry me and people need to know there is some element of risk when doing such things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
8R6 (10-02-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #35
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Air bags are super violent, they can kill people all by themselves.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #36
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Air bags are super violent, they can kill people all by themselves.
They are not quite as bad on their own as they used to be but yes they can! It is not a part of your car you want to mess with that's for sure.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #37
lantsalot
Derp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
It my opinion, the Scion emblem is better looking than the Toyota "cowboy hat" so I am not sure why you would bother to switch. No matter what, it still a Toyota Scion FR-S. You are not going to fool anyone.
The way I see it, Toyota is trying to fool us by branding it a Scion so that they can hit a targeted market that wouldn't otherwise buy a toyota. I don't think any of us are trying to "fool" anyone by rebadging, it's obviously just personal preference.
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lantsalot For This Useful Post:
CAMBAM_6 (02-25-2015)
Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #38
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I don't think it's really how it looks that is the question. It's people not wanting to associate with Scion. Because let's face it, Scion has a reputation for selling cheapshit cars to douchey drivers. The FR-S might do something to change that image, but it's difficult to overcome the damage already done, especially considering that most people still see this car and have no idea what it is.

If I had bought the FR-S instead of the BRZ, I probably would have rebadged it, then felt ashamed for caring what other people thought, but not ashamed enough associate with the Scion brand.
If people ask you wich car it is you said with proud its Subaru, and ask if its turbo and AWD?
My friend have BRZ and are pissed cuz this.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:50 PM   #39
lantsalot
Derp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
If people ask you wich car it is you said with proud its Subaru, and ask if its turbo and AWD?
My friend have BRZ and are pissed cuz this.
Sounds like your friend is very easily agitated.

On a side note, i once had a salesman at the dealership try to convince me this car was turbo. I laughed and walked away, and never went back.
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #40
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Didn't expect a big dispute on the subject but...
The fact that the overlay is glued on to something that is glued on to something else does not in any way alleviate my concern. Not to mention the quality of the add on adhesive could be dubious at best.
I have worked in Occupational Health and Safety for over 25 years and if I had a $ for every time I heard "it is most likely to" or "it should" while testing something that failed and could have killed somebody I could retire.
I work for what will soon be the second largest OEM auto parts manufacturer in the world and visited one of our facilities that tests some of the products we make which includes airbags. I once got to see some crash tests in action (very cool in real life by the way) and understand the full violence involved in the airbag deployment. The slow motion clips you see on TV do not impart the actual event at all.
The airbags are expanded by an explosive device in microseconds and I have seen what one can do to a crash test dummy (not the band) with a simple Bic pen placed on the test column. It ain't pretty I can tell you!
The worst case of airbag interference I ever saw was a guy that screwed a gauge cluster on his A pillar and lined it up perfectly covering the SRS label!

Now having said all that, you are very possibly correct in that there is no real hazard but it still would worry me and people need to know there is some element of risk when doing such things.
I'm not looking for a big dispute on the subject, just sharing some thoughts. I would thank your comment for replying to mine, but I still need a few more posts.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to El Guapo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 01:48 PM   #41
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
I'm not looking for a big dispute on the subject, just sharing some thoughts. I would thank your comment for replying to mine, but I still need a few more posts.
Gotcha! You will soon find that it is VERY easy to defensive on here! The simplest statement can get ripped apart 100 times (not pleading innocence as I have been the ripper as well)
Old 02-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #42
KalbiCool88

Drives: 2005 SLK350, 2015 RS 1.0 FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
In the end, to each their own. Different people have different tastes. Btw, on ebay there's genuine Toyota badges for ~ $53 for front AND rear.

Seller name: retractoyota
KalbiCool88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, emblems, frs, toyota 86