follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tokyo Auto Salon

So I'm sitting here browsing photos of SEMA, marveling at how many parts have been rushed to market for our twins, and contemplating the upgrade path I'd like to take with my ride... when I got to thinking about how surprising it is that there's not already more from the Japanese tuner houses. Then it hit me, "Holy shit... this car came out AFTER the last Tokyo Auto Salon!" So it's likely that the Japanese parts manufacturers are sitting on their reeeally good stuff, waiting to premier it at the next Auto Salon the way so many American tuners prepare for SEMA.

So who's up for making a pilgrimage to the holy land for the next Tokyo Auto Salon (Jan. 11-13)? Given how much of a splash the car made at SEMA this year, and how energized the Japanese market has been over the development of the twins, I would imagine this will be the show to end all shows. And it would be kinda cool to go as a group, and represent the American (and Australian?) fan-base for these cars.
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
azian_advanced
*****istrator

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10-Series M/T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
can't wait for the TAS pictures...
azian_advanced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
that_one_guy

Drives: none
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I was actually thinking exactly this. My friend is planning an Asian tour come new years and I wanted to spend a couple days in Japan, then couple days in Taiwan, and couple days in Hong Kong. The question is, can I afford this trip after buying the car... haha.

Keep this thread updated if you or anyone else goes, that way even if some people are able to 'stop by', we can coordinate places to meet.
that_one_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
ozne99

Drives: GBS BRZ Limited
SEMA was extremely disappointing. I'm hoping TAS would deliver much better options for our cars!
ozne99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've always wanted to go and check Japan out during the winter season. I've only gone a half dozen times and it's always during the muggy and humid summers
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
TuxedoCartman
Banned

Drives: '13 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanakuso View Post
I've always wanted to go and check Japan out during the winter season. I've only gone a half dozen times and it's always during the muggy and humid summers
I won't lie: spring and fall are the ideal times to go. But winter's great for visiting onsens, and "winter food" over there is some of my favorite. Know of this one place that does wild boar shabu-shabu; so good, it'll make you cry!

I just feel bad, because the whole time I lived there, I never got to go to the Tokyo Auto Salon... and frankly didn't want to, as I was without a car at the time. Figured its be like going to an all-you-can-eat cake buffet when you're diabetic: nothing but suffering will come of it.

Ah, but this year! This year I have a car, and can speak some Japanese as well! So if I can get my schedule arranged properly, I think I just might make the trip.

Hey Scion! You did the whole "Scion to SEMA" run for people last week; how about sending a handful of us enthusiasts over to Japan to represent FR-S owners? You know, we could take pictures, visit the Toyota museum, hand out Scion branded goods to the locals... then write up the whole experience for you! Good marketing, eh? Eh?
TuxedoCartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
truenosan

Drives: 13 Firestorm FRS
I'm not allowed into onsens

I wish I could to to TAS this year, but I will be in Japan next fall for my friends wedding, and don't think I can get that much time off of work.
truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote