follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2023, 09:25 PM   #15
Sjej

Drives: 2010 Ford Edge Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I don't see you getting out the door for 30k if you're buying a new one.

more like 35k id assume? for a base model at least
Sjej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 12:47 AM   #16
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjej View Post
Yeah I was thinking of doing this too, but I'm worried about spending a lot on mods. Seems like something I'd do, while the 2nd gen would be stock for a while. But the first gen is a great car and I was actually considering it because it is less refined and since it wouldn't be my only car seems like that'd be more fun
I can assure you that a running stock car you can afford without stress is much more fun than either a broken modded car you can't afford to fix or a car you are afraid to drive because you are underwater on the loan. If you have your priorities in good order, you probably won't have money to spend on mods for at least a few years regardless of what car you get, IMO. Adult life gets expensive quickly lol.

Quote:
You're not wrong, but since I'm going directly into the trades as soon as I graduate I'm working with a relative who owns a company. I'd be doing side jobs with him after work or by myself in the future that would require some sort of transportation for me and my tools and not worrying about it getting dinged up. If I ditch the edge and go with only an 86, it would work, and its possible, but it's not ideal. It might end up being what happens though
I thought I could make due with just my FRS at first. I did it for a year, but regretted trading in the SAAB I had in college. I wound up borrowing a second car from my parents for a few months and then buying a second car (that turned out to be a headache and a half). If you can afford insurance/maintenance/gas without stressing your budget and have parking space for both, keep both. There's a lot of benefit to having a beater car all paid off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (11-21-2023)
Old 11-21-2023, 10:12 AM   #17
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah I was thinking of doing this too, but I'm worried about spending a lot on mods. Seems like something I'd do, while the 2nd gen would be stock for a while. But the first gen is a great car and I was actually considering it because it is less refined and since it wouldn't be my only car seems like that'd be more fun
Pointless to mod in your position. Modding for any significant power gains is expensive on this platform and many mods for looks whether nice wheels, aftermarket lights, cbf hood/trunk is also pretty costly and doesn't sound like a wise idea in your situation..getting a pre face-lift doesn't mean you NEED to mod...to me the twins are best enjoyed stock anyways as running costs are quite cheap as they don't burn through tires and brakes like sports cars with real power.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 05:44 PM   #18
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I might've worded my post badly. I have a part-time job now, but by the time I go to buy it I'd have a full year of full-time work experience, and I would likely have quit the part-time job by then. I might even wait until I'm 20/21.
I didn't buy my first car with a payment until I was 27 and already a homeowner.
Old 11-21-2023, 06:36 PM   #19
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I didn't buy my first car with a payment until I was 27 and already a homeowner.
I didn't buy my first car with a payment until i was over 50. I drove junk when I was young.

OP I'd try and find a good used one. Take your time. A car is a huge investment. Car payments suck...
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 11:18 PM   #20
Sjej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I can assure you that a running stock car you can afford without stress is much more fun than either a broken modded car you can't afford to fix or a car you are afraid to drive because you are underwater on the loan. If you have your priorities in good order, you probably won't have money to spend on mods for at least a few years regardless of what car you get, IMO. Adult life gets expensive quickly lol.

This is my justification for getting a second gen. Not only would I not want to mod it but i would not be able to really afford to. I want to buy a property in my 20's as rent in my area is getting increasingly expensive. That's why I see it ideal to get the brz now, and not have a car note when im ready to go buy a property of some sort, or rent, if I have to

I thought I could make due with just my FRS at first. I did it for a year, but regretted trading in the SAAB I had in college. I wound up borrowing a second car from my parents for a few months and then buying a second car (that turned out to be a headache and a half). If you can afford insurance/maintenance/gas without stressing your budget and have parking space for both, keep both. There's a lot of benefit to having a beater car all paid off.

Yeah the thing is I'm confident around the time of purchasing my BRZ i'll be in a really good financial position. I'm already ahead of most people my age & my edge is paid off, costs around $70/mo for gas, insurance is relatively cheap, the engine is bulletproof aside from the infamous water pump, and it would split miles with the BRZ. The only reason I've come here to ask is to get insight from 86/BRZ owners, as only you guys know the true expenses and troubles of owning one. Flashback to when I wanted a cayman after HS, but my heart was broken after reading some porsche forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
Pointless to mod in your position. Modding for any significant power gains is expensive on this platform and many mods for looks whether nice wheels, aftermarket lights, cbf hood/trunk is also pretty costly and doesn't sound like a wise idea in your situation..getting a pre face-lift doesn't mean you NEED to mod...to me the twins are best enjoyed stock anyways as running costs are quite cheap as they don't burn through tires and brakes like sports cars with real power.

I'd really love to get into AutoX and take the car out to canyon roads. Really the problem isnt power, its cosmetic. My power mods would consist of a header and tune, but the cosmetic mods would never end. I love the look of the second gen, and first gen, but a nicely modded first gen has my heart. I'm just afraid I'd get carried away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
I didn't buy my first car with a payment until i was over 50. I drove junk when I was young.

OP I'd try and find a good used one. Take your time. A car is a huge investment. Car payments suck...

You're very right, but what sucks more is rent/mortgage + car payment. So that's why in my head it is justified to get this car now and pay it off before moving out to my own place.

I was also thinking used 2nd gen instead of brand new? Maybe by then their prices would have gone down, and we could see 2nd gens being sold for under $30k, but maybe not. Even 1st gens are being sold for the price of 2nd gens.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sjej For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (11-22-2023), Spuds (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 09:13 AM   #21
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
^Honestly, if the Edge is paid off, I'd take that money for the BRZ and put it in a retirement account (compound interest is a wonderful thing), or start saving for a downpayment on a house.

I spent lots of money on cars/motorcycles growing up so at 41 my retirement isn't close to where it should be.
Sjej (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 09:50 AM   #22
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah the thing is I'm confident around the time of purchasing my BRZ i'll be in a really good financial position. I'm already ahead of most people my age & my edge is paid off, costs around $70/mo for gas, insurance is relatively cheap, the engine is bulletproof aside from the infamous water pump, and it would split miles with the BRZ. The only reason I've come here to ask is to get insight from 86/BRZ owners, as only you guys know the true expenses and troubles of owning one. Flashback to when I wanted a cayman after HS, but my heart was broken after reading some porsche forums

I'd really love to get into AutoX and take the car out to canyon roads. Really the problem isnt power, its cosmetic. My power mods would consist of a header and tune, but the cosmetic mods would never end. I love the look of the second gen, and first gen, but a nicely modded first gen has my heart. I'm just afraid I'd get carried away.

You're very right, but what sucks more is rent/mortgage + car payment. So that's why in my head it is justified to get this car now and pay it off before moving out to my own place.

I was also thinking used 2nd gen instead of brand new? Maybe by then their prices would have gone down, and we could see 2nd gens being sold for under $30k, but maybe not. Even 1st gens are being sold for the price of 2nd gens.
The market (and the economy) are moving so much that it's hard to say where things will be 12 or 24 months down the road. Maybe 86s won't be produced anymore and used ones will keep their value. Or maybe the used market will have tanked by then. Hard to say.

As far as cost to run, I find the 86 barely more expensive to run than a standard hatchback. 30mpg all day long, cheap tyres, cheap insurance. Yes, the maintenance is a tad more expensive, but they don't depreciate much. It's probably the cheapest car I've run.

Regarding Porsches... I wouldn't overly trust the forums. I try to avoid Rennlist as it gives the impression your car is going to explode at any moment. Some stuff is true, some is exaggerated, some is down to some vendors fearmongering users into buying stuff. They're complicated, expensive cars. Maybe they'll cost a fortune to run, maybe they won't. Hope for the best and brace for the worst!
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
Sjej (11-22-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 03:35 PM   #23
gnarjunkie

Drives: '23 GR86, '17 BRZ
Quote:

My GR86 was $29.5k out the door. Base model with a couple small dealer options.
gnarjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gnarjunkie For This Useful Post:
Sjej (11-23-2023)
Old 11-22-2023, 04:55 PM   #24
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
I got my '23 BRZ for $33,176. That did not include Georgia TAVT tax of 7% which I paid when titling/tagging the car. so just over $35k total for a Limited, not base. Hilariously the "base" BRZ is called "Premium"...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 07:27 AM   #25
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
I got my '23 BRZ for $33,176. That did not include Georgia TAVT tax of 7% which I paid when titling/tagging the car. so just over $35k total for a Limited, not base. Hilariously the "base" BRZ is called "Premium"...
So the Premium isn’t really premium and the Limited isn’t in limited numbers I assume. Just BRZ Coupe and BRZ Coupe S here, interesting the different regions’ naming differences.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 07:59 AM   #26
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
So the Premium isn’t really premium and the Limited isn’t in limited numbers I assume. Just BRZ Coupe and BRZ Coupe S here, interesting the different regions’ naming differences.
Just like the Apple "Pro" line.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (01-18-2024), Sjej (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 09:47 AM   #27
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Or the Mercedes AMG GT R Pro.
Not quite as daft as the 2023 Challenger SRT Hellcat Redeye Widebody Jailbreak though.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alex87f For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-23-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 02:17 PM   #28
Sjej

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarjunkie View Post
My GR86 was $29.5k out the door. Base model with a couple small dealer options.

How did you get it that low? No markup or anything. Did you haggle below MSRP? My dad is really good at that but I don't know how

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post

$35k total is not that bad but a little more than Id like to pay maybe. Should I just get base model then? Would it be worth saving the extra ~2k?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
^Honestly, if the Edge is paid off, I'd take that money for the BRZ and put it in a retirement account (compound interest is a wonderful thing), or start saving for a downpayment on a house.

I spent lots of money on cars/motorcycles growing up so at 41 my retirement isn't close to where it should be.

I have some money dedicated to both a house down payment and retirement. I have about 7k saved for a BRZ. I think at my age everyone forgets we have almost no expenses. Therefore I can contribute about $500/mo for a brz, house, and around the same/whatevers left over for retirement.