follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #29
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Kinda off topic, but this is BMW's Vision Gran Turismo Concept.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
M-17 (12-13-2013), zigzagz94 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #30
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymratter View Post
if its going to be Toyota's flagship, than i say go with the Supra name > Celica anyday.
Not ANY day.... At least not any day prior to 1978, amiright?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #31
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
im pretty sure that has been previewed by the esflow concept.

Esflow is from 2011 (and I don' think the new Zed will look anything like that). Nissan is supposed to show a more production ready concept this auto show season with most betting on Detroit.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #32
WillBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage

For some reason 300zx popped into my mind from this pic
Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #33
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
Esflow is from 2011 (and I don' think the new Zed will look anything like that). Nissan is supposed to show a more production ready concept this auto show season with most betting on Detroit.
i am aware that it is a 2011 concept. but automakers have used even older concepts to base a production car on.

yeah i disagreed.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #34
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Lexus also has their concept coming. It will be the LF-LC with probably some slight changes.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #35
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Hey everyone, here is your chance to tell Toyota what you would like a new "Supra" to be. Click on the link below and have your say.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/first-glimp...ts-car-concept

Below are some common questions and comments that I have heard across all the forums.

What should it be?
The joint Toyota/BMW midsize coupe.
Underpin the upcoming Lexus RC/RC-F.
Stretched 86/FR-S platform with more power.

What should the drivetrain be?
4 Cycle turbo
4 Cycle hybrid
V6 hybrid
V6 turbo
V8 (2UR-GSE)

What should it go after?
NSX hybrid and hybrid GT-R.
Next Z35 or C7 Corvette.

How about the price range?
$30k-$40k
$50k-$60k
$70k+
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Levi (12-28-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #36
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vh_supra26 View Post
Hey everyone, here is your chance to tell Toyota what you would like a new "Supra" to be. Click on the link below and have your say.

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/first-glimp...ts-car-concept

Below are some common questions and comments that I have heard across all the forums.

What should it be?
The joint Toyota/BMW midsize coupe.
Underpin the upcoming Lexus RC/RC-F.
Stretched 86/FR-S platform with more power.

What should the drivetrain be?
4 Cycle turbo
4 Cycle hybrid
V6 hybrid
V6 turbo
V8 (2UR-GSE)

What should it go after?
NSX hybrid and hybrid GT-R.
Next Z35 or C7 Corvette.

How about the price range?
$30k-$40k
$50k-$60k
$70k+
This is what I think:

I would like to see a BMW/Toyota joint effort with an inline-6 engine. One affordable model (30-40k USD) with a naturally aspirated I6 engine and one turbo I6 model (40-50k USD). Affordability is key though. There's no point in making another car for the ultra-rich like the Nissan GTR and Porsche 911's, as 98% of the population cannot afford it so it'd be nothing but a tease.

The engine and aerodynamics should be tuned by the TMG team that designed the F1 and Le Mans cars for more performance and prestige. The engine note should be tuned by Yamaha like the LFA for F1-esque sounds. Make it look very similar to the last Mk4 Supra (curvy, aerodynamic, sporty). Transmission options should include a manual and dual clutch. The chassis should just be steel but with aluminum hood, roof, trunk, and aluminum or plastic front fenders. Use aluminum in areas of unsprung weight such as suspension arms/links, knuckles, and dampers. Use Brembo aluminum fixed calipers with two-piece discs and forged BBS wheels (Washi Beam Japan). Use double wishbone and/or multi-link based front and rear suspension (instead of MacPherson strut).

Also, do not make it too wide or too long (around 1800mm wide and 2600mm wheelbase). Big cars tend to spoil the fun on the road and add weight. But having 2 small folding seats in the rear would help justify practicality for many. 225/45/18 is a good tire size to base it on and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are recommended. Same size tires front and rear would be nice for easier rotations, affordability, and playfulness (at least for the non-turbo model). Make sure the steering wheel has enough feedback and the handling is very predictable with a smooth and responsive power band without electronic traction and stability controls interfering too much. A limited slip differential should be standard. Also, make electronic systems programmable/customizable by driver in head unit. The Lexus LFA based digital display gauge would be an attractive choice.

The car should essentially be a bigger brother to the GT86 and more of a competitor to the Nissan 370Z (for the non-turbo) and the base Cayman & Corvette (for the turbo model). If you get the styling, engine sounds, and performance/fun factor right at a low enough price, it could be a legendary and very successful car.
Levi (12-28-2013), MuseChaser (11-07-2015), NemesisPrime909 (12-28-2013), sato (12-30-2013), Slartibartfast (01-14-2014), vh_supra26 (12-28-2013), wtrxprs007 (03-30-2014), YMAA (12-28-2013), Zaku (03-03-2014)
Old 12-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #37
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
This is what I think:

I would like to see a BMW/Toyota joint effort with an inline-6 engine. One affordable model (30-40k USD) with a naturally aspirated I6 engine and one turbo I6 model (40-50k USD). Affordability is key though. There's no point in making another car for the ultra-rich like the Nissan GTR and Porsche 911's, as 98% of the population cannot afford it so it'd be nothing but a tease.

The engine and aerodynamics should be tuned by the TMG team that designed the F1 and Le Mans cars for more performance and prestige. The engine note should be tuned by Yamaha like the LFA for F1-esque sounds. Make it look very similar to the last Mk4 Supra (curvy, aerodynamic, sporty). Transmission options should include a manual and dual clutch. The chassis should just be steel but with aluminum hood, roof, trunk, and aluminum or plastic front fenders. Use aluminum in areas of unsprung weight such as suspension arms/links, knuckles, and dampers. Use Brembo aluminum fixed calipers with two-piece discs and forged BBS wheels (Washi Beam Japan). Use double wishbone and/or multi-link based front and rear suspension (instead of MacPherson strut).

Also, do not make it too wide or too long (around 1800mm wide and 2600mm wheelbase). Big cars tend to spoil the fun on the road and add weight. But having 2 small folding seats in the rear would help justify practicality for many. 225/45/18 is a good tire size to base it on and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are recommended. Same size tires front and rear would be nice for easier rotations, affordability, and playfulness (at least for the non-turbo model). Make sure the steering wheel has enough feedback and the handling is very predictable with a smooth and responsive power band without electronic traction and stability controls interfering too much. A limited slip differential should be standard. Also, make electronic systems programmable/customizable by driver in head unit. The Lexus LFA based digital display gauge would be an attractive choice.

The car should essentially be a bigger brother to the GT86 and more of a competitor to the Nissan 370Z (for the non-turbo) and the base Cayman & Corvette (for the turbo model). If you get the styling, engine sounds, and performance/fun factor right at a low enough price, it could be a legendary and very successful car.

Nail on the Head
Old 12-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #38
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
This is what I think:

It is a good compromise. But there are some points I still disagree with (personal preference) and then there is the realistic execution of the product. I don't see BMW or Toyota building a one-off I6 engine. BMW has it already, and I don't want a BMW engine in a Toyota. Then, I don't think it is possible to have a NA and FI version of one engine without increased costs or compromises.

Then, I also don't like +2 seats, they are not very practical for carring people. Don't be offended, but my way of thinking is that 2 doors = 2 seats, 4 doors = 4 seats. I think the Lexus RC/BMW 2er/4er/Audi A5...etc is a good compromise for having both something sporty yet practical, but those cars will never be pure sportscars in my eyes. I alos don't get why Porsche insists on those rear seats in the 911, they better put the engine instead (a.k.a underpowered Cayman).

I'm more for one good product than one with more choices that is compromised. Sure I'd love a new H/R Turbo I6 with 6MT, just as the previous Supra, but it just won't happen.

Till now I don't know any Turbo engine that sound and revs like a Ferrari V8 or a Lexus V10 (or for instance any of the previous NA BMW M engines). So I'd be more for a Yamah (part of Toyota who makes performance engines) tuned NA V6, (like LFA with ITB', dry sump, 9000K redline) help by hybrid instead of turbo (like the 918 Spyder). Sure costs will increase. Maybe not a problem, but if the car is not profitable, we'll as you say have another LFA or car for rich people.

Quite an issue IMO, 50K sportscars are compromised, 200K are just not my thing, even if I could afford them (all mid-engine and way too powerfull and even heavy). There is nothing around 90K that is good, Cayman is underpowered for its price, and 911 is also not really my thing, I want the engine in-front. Thus so happy for the GT86/BRZ.
The Following User Says Thank You to Levi For This Useful Post:
Zaku (03-03-2014)
Old 12-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #39
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Quite an issue IMO, 50K sportscars are compromised, 200K are just not my thing, even if I could afford them (all mid-engine and way too powerfull and even heavy). There is nothing around 90K that is good, Cayman is underpowered for its price, and 911 is also not really my thing, I want the engine in-front. Thus so happy for the GT86/BRZ.
Other than the engine in the front I mostly agree. I wouldn't drive a 200k+ sports car around even if I had the money to not care if I crashed. I can understand the reasoning for 2+2, but I'd rather have a 2 seater and a 4 door. A 2+2 in my eyes is for the person who wants a bigger car but still wants to feel/look cool in something sporty, which is reasonable.

I like the Cayman, but while the 981 is pretty light compared to a Z or Corvette, it's heavy for a 2 seater.

I think a realistic Supra powertrain would be an NA V6 hybrid. They could use the 2GR-FSE with an electric motor on the input shaft of the transmission, raise the rev limit to 7500 like Lotus did, drop some fatter cams in, and you'd have a solid 350hp + electric that also sounds pretty good.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #40
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Other than the engine in the front I mostly agree. I wouldn't drive a 200k+ sports car around even if I had the money to not care if I crashed. I can understand the reasoning for 2+2, but I'd rather have a 2 seater and a 4 door. A 2+2 in my eyes is for the person who wants a bigger car but still wants to feel/look cool in something sporty, which is reasonable.

I like the Cayman, but while the 981 is pretty light compared to a Z or Corvette, it's heavy for a 2 seater.

I think a realistic Supra powertrain would be an NA V6 hybrid. They could use the 2GR-FSE with an electric motor on the input shaft of the transmission, raise the rev limit to 7500 like Lotus did, drop some fatter cams in, and you'd have a solid 350hp + electric that also sounds pretty good.

I am totally agreed with you. A car was meant to be driven and scratched. What we all need is a fun car, reliable, with the future technologies in an affordable package.

Though instead of the V6. They could do turbo 4 for maximize efficiency plus hybrid motors. Gasoline engine weak point is off the line torque. They waste a lot of gas to move the car. Which can easily be moved by electric motors. Their strong point is high HP once the car is moving, together with a good turbo.

Inline 4 will be smaller, less weigh, and simpler to work on. Also open the gate to after market for both high performance electric motors, regenerative brake parts, more powerful super capacitors, and turbos.....

It will be a legendary vehicle once again, and it will take people 20 years into the future to totally cap out the vehicle capabilities
Old 12-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #41
gymratter

Drives: BMW
Thanked 1,825 Times in 952 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitigir View Post
I am totally agreed with you. A car was meant to be driven and scratched. What we all need is a fun car, reliable, with the future technologies in an affordable package.

Though instead of the V6. They could do turbo 4 for maximize efficiency plus hybrid motors. Gasoline engine weak point is off the line torque. They waste a lot of gas to move the car. Which can easily be moved by electric motors. Their strong point is high HP once the car is moving, together with a good turbo.

Inline 4 will be smaller, less weigh, and simpler to work on. Also open the gate to after market for both high performance electric motors, regenerative brake parts, more powerful super capacitors, and turbos.....

It will be a legendary vehicle once again, and it will take people 20 years into the future to totally cap out the vehicle capabilities
An I4 'Supra' just doesn't sounds right. A Toyota flagship sports car needs at least a V6 or BMW's I6.

Besides, the next gen FRS is rumored to have an I4 hybrid system. So why would you have the same drivetrain in your flagship model?

On a different note...

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a bigger 'FRS' with more power. Also pretty sure it will be the Toyota/BMW joint project car. And if that's the case than its been confirmed a new platform will be used.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #42
Whitigir
Banned

Drives: 450 awhp twin turbo vr4
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
An I4 'Supra' just doesn't sounds right. A Toyota flagship sports car needs at least a V6 or BMW's I6.

Besides, the next gen FRS is rumored to have an I4 hybrid system. So why would you have the same drivetrain in your flagship model?

On a different note...

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a bigger 'FRS' with more power. Also pretty sure it will be the Toyota/BMW joint project car. And if that's the case than its been confirmed a new platform will be used.

I would never believe the next gen FRS to be hybrid driven. That cost ways too much for the twin to produce and to sell. Not to mention the battery and motors will mess with weight distribution.

Toyota would not be as stupid to completely engineer a new platform, then mess it up, or design another under the same name after one cycle, where the profit has not racked up enough. Beside, why would you kill it while it is proven a success ?

Even at the twin price now, it is still costly, and that is where Toyota disagree with Subaru.

If you have a solid source, link it to me.

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose