follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #29
PetrolioBenzina

Drives: 17 86
Thanked 1,133 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchert97 View Post
Yeah that functional aero wing... on a RWD car that could use the extra downforce and grip... so stupid... Just go buy an Impreza dude.
LOL, on the street, right?
PetrolioBenzina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PetrolioBenzina For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (12-21-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #30
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
LOL, on the street, right?
You do realize that the tS is primarily marketed as a BRZ for the track, right? That's why they did additional chassis, suspension, aero, and grip tuning. It can't get much more clear cut than that. If you want a BRZ "on the street", the standard BRZ comes with a nice aesthetically appealing yet still mildly functional low profile wing.

"LOL"
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:00 PM   #31
Cal3000

Drives: Panda FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post

Add to the fact that anytime I wanted to have fun in it I had to be going way above the legal speed limit.
This makes no sense to me. I have a modded evo and it's way more fun messing around at lower speeds than my frs because of the torque. You have to speed to feel any exhilaration in the frs. I can have fun below 60 on any road in the evo. Can't do that with the frs.

Around twists, the cars have different dynamics but I think the evo is a lot more fun due to the g forces you feel flooring it around and exiting turns.
Delicious Tuning
Cal3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #32
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchert97 View Post
You do realize that the tS is primarily marketed as a BRZ for the track, right? That's why they did additional chassis, suspension, aero, and grip tuning. It can't get much more clear cut than that. If you want a BRZ "on the street", the standard BRZ comes with a nice aesthetically appealing yet still mildly functional low profile wing.

"LOL"
LOL. A car as slow as the BRZ needs a wing. Or are they suddenly fast enough to need them? I thought "too slow" was the chief complaint, but now they have a wing that's all forgotten?

If 10% of those ever see the track I'll be surprised.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:31 AM   #33
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal3000 View Post
This makes no sense to me. I have a modded evo and it's way more fun messing around at lower speeds than my frs because of the torque. You have to speed to feel any exhilaration in the frs. I can have fun below 60 on any road in the evo. Can't do that with the frs.

Around twists, the cars have different dynamics but I think the evo is a lot more fun due to the g forces you feel flooring it around and exiting turns.
Huge difference.

The EVO has short gearing.

First in the c5z06 is 45mph. Any other gear at redline is above all legal speed limits.

I had an 05 STi. I have a c5z06.

I would rather drive the 05 STi daily. IF I could afford to shod the c5z06, cool the oil/water/transmission/diff, update the brakes and brake ducting, I would take it to HPDEs all day. I will someday, but just in tires and consumables, I could do a year of track days with a 17+ PP that I could only do 1-2 days tops in the c5z06 at full tilt (at a track like VIR Full).

Put 255s with good camber, bars and springs on the BRZ, and it is a blast. It is not a torque car, however. Different driving style... and a lot less understeer.
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (01-14-2018), Hades (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 02:31 AM   #34
yurikaze

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS (CBS), AE86 GT-S, MA70
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL. A car as slow as the BRZ needs a wing. Or are they suddenly fast enough to need them? I thought "too slow" was the chief complaint, but now they have a wing that's all forgotten?

Mine will see a lot of track time at Willow Springs, which is also the track they used to develop the US market-suspension tune for the tS. I can guarantee you the wing will come in handy on Big Willow. There’s nothing wrong with having a car specialized for the track that can still be a good daily, especially if you only have a single parking spot.
yurikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yurikaze For This Useful Post:
olsonpg (12-24-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #35
dowroa
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurikaze View Post
Mine will see a lot of track time at Willow Springs, which is also the track they used to develop the US market-suspension tune for the tS. I can guarantee you the wing will come in handy on Big Willow. There’s nothing wrong with having a car specialized for the track that can still be a good daily, especially if you only have a single parking spot.
In general, I agree with this, as any more DF helps. If you don't think so, please go see what autoXers do with rear wing allowances at speeds below 60 mph.

However, I do have to mention that with a 17+ and PP and all the awesome parts Velox makes, there are cheaper ways to go.

Also, no matter which one you get, you still need cooling to the hubs, oil coolers, and all the associated ability to monitor that information.

While a nice car, for the 38k USD it will cost, it doesn't personally get me closer to that goal. For me, the PP does it for much cheaper.

If it added more to the entire package, I would seriously consider the car. However, it is no more track ready than a used 17+PP, which is marginally only better than the base cars or a BRZ since MY14.

Great car, and enjoy what you get! If it is worth it to you, go for it!
The Following User Says Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (12-29-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 11:20 AM   #36
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
omg.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #37
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think the problem with the c5 z06 is it is just *too* fast. I just drove one in GT and promptly drove it into a wall ~1/3 way around the 'Ring. I think at the track in order to trust myself with one I'd need a full cage.

'Dat engine though.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #38
dowroa
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I think the problem with the c5 z06 is it is just *too* fast. I just drove one in GT and promptly drove it into a wall ~1/3 way around the 'Ring. I think at the track in order to trust myself with one I'd need a full cage.

'Dat engine though.
So, I have taken mine to VIR Full in stock trim on OEM tires.

As a note, I happen to be an OKAY autoX/rallyXer.

I thought it was pretty good. I can see how it would melt everything, but held up well for the "holiday laps" (not a real HPDE).

If you think that is fast... man... it is just a medium fish on track, power-wise.

BRZ tS... I think I would take it to North or Patriot... but I would not consistently take it to a power track.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:53 PM   #39
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
So, I have taken mine to VIR Full in stock trim on OEM tires.

As a note, I happen to be an OKAY autoX/rallyXer.

I thought it was pretty good. I can see how it would melt everything, but held up well for the "holiday laps" (not a real HPDE).

If you think that is fast... man... it is just a medium fish on track, power-wise.

BRZ tS... I think I would take it to North or Patriot... but I would not consistently take it to a power track.
Seem to do quite well in tt2/t1
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:25 PM   #40
PetrolioBenzina

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurikaze View Post
I don't disagree. I'd like to see the downforce and drag numbers for that wing. The design might of Subaru could have provided plenty of downforce in other ways. That wing is there for one reason; "because racecar" to look cool on cars that will never see the track.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #41
carsebuco
How do I shift?

Drives: '13 GBS BRZ
The first post just reassured my suspicion that the neighbor who parks the vette under the sun and his SUV in the garage must be a drug dealer. I've only been here for 6 months and I'd never leave my baby under the sun for longer than 24 hours.

But some people don't have to worry about money...
Old 12-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #42
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Better check your numbers the amount of shops running rear wings like 86speed, ft86speedfactory, CSG are astounding. It makes a noticeable balancing difference on the track. The twins are the most tracked car as it is, I have no doubt much more than 10% of the tS and peformance pack cars will be tracked. If you want coeffecient numbers I suggest you contact one of the shops or velox for details.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote