follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,181 Times in 6,837 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Turn in Concepts (TiC) solid aluminum steering rack bushings review

Table of Contents
- Introduction
- What it does
- Observations and thoughts
- Conclusion

Introduction

Welcome to my review of the Turn in Concepts (TiC) solid aluminum steering rack bushings. This brief review will consist of a brief overview of what the bushings function is, how it affects the car, and the observations I made before and after they were put on the car.

A little bit about me. I am the driver for CounterSpace Garage, and am responsible for developing the setup of the CSG BRZ. Our goal is to create a street car with simple, but carefully chosen mods that look great, and also perform at the track. Last but not least, I am responsible for providing manufacturers with feedback in product development and testing for future products that may be released for the FR-S/BRZ/GT86.

I have omitted installation instructions in lieu of Sithspawn's excellent DIY, located here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...900#post698900

What it does

The TiC bushings replace the factory steering rack bushings that are lined with rubber. While the rubber lining on the bushings allow for harshness of the road to be absorbed, isolating the driver from imperfections in the road, it also introduces a slight amount of slop in the steering. Although it's nearly imperceptable when the car is new, over time, as the car ages, the rubber would slowly dry out and harden, leading to sloppy steering with a dead zone, due to play in the steering rack.

The TiC steering rack bushings are made of solid aluminum, eliminating the rubber in the bushings that hold the rack to the subframe, and thus, eliminating any play that exists, leading to a more direct connection between the steering wheel and the front tires.

Observations and thoughts

The FR-S and BRZ originally worried me. With electric assisted steering, steering feel is typically completely numb. My personal car is a s2k, and this is precisely the case; while the steering response is razor sharp, the feel of the steering is completely non-existant. The FR-S/BRZ surprised me in that the steering is actually communicative. The driver is able to feel exactly what each front wheel is doing through the steering wheel, and this feedback was enhanced when our BRZ was equipped with Tein SRC coilvers. However, the addition of the bushings transformed the car from simply providing feedback to having a direct connection to the tires. The OEM rubber lined bushing dulled the feedback through the steering, while these transmitted to the steering wheel exactly what was going on with the front tires. It's like going from staticy FM reception to a CD. The TiC bushings allow me to feel exactly what is going on with the front tires, instead of having a vague idea of what was going on, dulled by a large rubber shield.

I also noticed an ever so slight increase in steering response. While the fresh rubber in the OEM bushings are still in pretty good shape, eliminating deflection is eliminating a link in the chain, giving a more direct connection to the steering, and thus, faster reaction to my input.

Conclusion

While this part in itself would not give a truly tangible performance gain, I would wholeheartedly recommend the TiC solid aluminum bushings to anyone who is interested in the driving experience itself. It is in tune with the spirit of the FR-S and BRZ platform: it is for anyone who enjoys driving.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (06-08-2013), B L U E S L A T E (02-05-2013), OrbitalEllipses (02-05-2013), philstar (02-05-2013), RAYSSPL (02-05-2013), robispec (02-06-2013), RYU (02-05-2013), sandman126 (02-06-2013), Sithspawn (02-05-2013), Touge Monster (06-03-2013), wheelhaus (06-03-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
THanks for the great review again. Any increase in perchieved NVH?

That's the thing with these mods. For me personally, I have to think hard about where the line is for my BRZ (Daily Driver) and how near I am to crossing it. In the blink of an eye it can turn into more a race car than a weekend track warrior.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
THanks for the great review again. Any increase in perchieved NVH?

That's the thing with these mods. For me personally, I have to think hard about where the line is for my BRZ (Daily Driver) and how near I am to crossing it. In the blink of an eye it's turned into more a race car than a weekend track warrior.
The additional feedback you feel through the steering wheel can be perceived as NVH.

For example, if you run over a largish rock, the OEM bushing may have deflected to absorb 15% of the rock, and the tire may have deflected 80% to absorb the rock; 5% of the rock is transmitted to the steering wheel. Net effect: you barely feel it in the steering wheel, and may not even notice it. With the TiC bushings, that 15% deflection is eliminated, and the tire deflects 85%, and 15% is transmitted to the steering wheel. You'll know you ran over something.

The increase in NVH is noticeable with fresh tires when the wheels are perfectly balanced, but was not much more than when you have worn tires or wheels that are slightly out of balance from tire wear.

Some people may prefer isolation. I prefer to know if I'm on a surface or in a condition with reduced or possible loss of traction in the front. I can deal with a rear that's coming out, but understeer scares the $h17 out of me.

I'm pretty tolerant to NVH compared to the general population, but I'm also more sensitive in that I perceive changes in NVH more readily as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
RYU (02-06-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
philstar

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Your review has me sold on doing solid steering rack bushings!

I saw that Battle Version also makes solid steering rack bushings too.
philstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
cobrabyte

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for the review! I'm installing mine this evening and hope I get similar results.

For those interested in purchasing the TiC Steering Rack Bushings, there's a group buy going on right now: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27824

They're getting cheaper all the time.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
Pete156
I like to eat!

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Although it's nearly imperceptable when the car is new, over time, as the car ages, the rubber would slowly dry out and harden, leading to sloppy steering with a dead zone, due to play in the steering rack.

I'm curious. Is this statement based on factual experience with the BRZs steering rack bushings or is it a generic statement based on all rubber lined bushings in the racks of all cars? This car hasn't been around long enough to determine if these bushings are wearing out or drying out as you put it. Your text may lead owners to believe that their bushing are already shot, when in fact this drying and hardening process may take ten or twenty years.
Pete156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Sean-SRM

Drives: Silver Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Great information, sounds like a great job you have as well!
Sean-SRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
I'm curious. Is this statement based on factual experience with the BRZs steering rack bushings or is it a generic statement based on all rubber lined bushings in the racks of all cars? This car hasn't been around long enough to determine if these bushings are wearing out or drying out as you put it. Your text may lead owners to believe that their bushing are already shot, when in fact this drying and hardening process may take ten or twenty years.
I didn't read that to mean that the OEM bushings are already dead, in fact I think it was partly a disclaimer that the difference would be more noticable on an older example of these cars that doesn't exist yet.. I was going to make the same disclosure . One of these bushings is pretty close to the exhaust though so I could see that one aging more quickly, otherwise 80k of use over say 5-6 years and I'd bet we'd see wear.

Certainly we currently aren't seeing wear. Mine looked soft and fresh with just under 16k on the chassis when I pulled them for the TiC ones.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:25 AM   #9
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
While not factual experience on this particular car, based on evidence with other cars and what is considered general knowledge of rubber, I think we can safely say that the OEM rubber bushings will eventually stop damping, shrink, and eventually introduce a significant amount of slop.

Yes, that drying, hardening, and shrinking process would be over a long period of time, at LEAST a few years given worst case scenarios.

However, even with fresh OEM bushings, you'll notice a difference with the TiC solid bushings.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Bumping this up instead of making my own thread. Installed the original aluminum versions of these yesterday afternoon. Removing the old ones was the hardest part, we rented a ball joint press but ended up using a c clamp and a piece of 1.5" ID muffler tubing. Things were a bit tight but we got them out okay. Installing the new bushings was a breeze.

I LOVE the way it feels now. I never felt that the steering was at all imprecise or overly numb before, but it just feels so incredibly direct now, and you can definitely feel more of what's going on. I love how it responds instantly to the smallest of inputs. For $55 (less if you catch a sale!) it's a no brainer.

Props to TiC for an excellent mod.

Cheers
Nathan
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubieNate For This Useful Post:
Mgivens (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Any feedback regarding tramlining? Do the solid bushings increase/decrease this or no change?
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point0 View Post
Any feedback regarding tramlining? Do the solid bushings increase/decrease this or no change?
No change, but you'll certainly feel it more.

Tramlining is mostly a function of alignment and sticky tires.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
2point0

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd WRB
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
No change, but you'll certainly feel it more.

Tramlining is mostly a function of alignment and sticky tires.
Thanks. Even after some negative camber, I had no tramlining. It didn't manifest until putting on some Super Sports (and then only on one particular stretch of freeway). It's like the wheels are moving within the steering wheel's slop. The car jerks around but not my hands. So I wasn't sure if these solid bushings would cause the wheels' jerkiness to move my hands around or maybe just my firm grip on the steering wheel would have a better time keeping the wheels from wriggling.

Does this make sense?
2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #14
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2point0 View Post
Thanks. Even after some negative camber, I had no tramlining. It didn't manifest until putting on some Super Sports (and then only on one particular stretch of freeway). It's like the wheels are moving within the steering wheel's slop. The car jerks around but not my hands. So I wasn't sure if these solid bushings would cause the wheels' jerkiness to move my hands around or maybe just my firm grip on the steering wheel would have a better time keeping the wheels from wriggling.

Does this make sense?
Sure does! I know exactly what you mean. It feels like the car is dancing/darting left/right, even though you're giving the car no input, and the wheel isn't really moving.

You're correct, it's moving within the play available, and this will transmit more of that to the steering wheel. I'm all for it; I'd rather be in full control. Some people don't like having that additional feedback.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
racecaresuaceb (08-25-2013)