follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
giraffee

Drives: Slowly
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Which would you rather? A question for the detailers

1. Leave car parked outdoors on grass, surrounded by medium sized shrubs, no large trees but susceptible to tree sap, bird poo etc

2. Purchase a good quality outdoor car cover eg: covercraft but possibly scratch the car.

Basically those are my two choices. Which is the lesser of the two evils?
I drive the car maybe 2-3x a week.

Thank you
giraffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
FnFast
Doctor

Drives: Fast
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Anytime you can keep you car away from the elements the better.

Jeremy Clarkson "If you go though the Pearly Gates, backwards, in a fireball, that's a cool way to die!"
2013 White Pearl BRZ Limited 6MT - 15% Tint, Debadged, HIDPowerhouse LED Interiors and Dome
FnFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
86_ZN6

Drives: 86 ZN6
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,222 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
On grass? Looks like you can put a canopy there and park your car under it.

Just my 2cents
86_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86_ZN6 For This Useful Post:
B L U E S L A T E (08-14-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #4
giraffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_ZN6 View Post
On grass? Looks like you can put a canopy there and park your car under it.

Just my 2cents
I did that.. Then the wind snapped it yesterday, luckily car was unharmed :/
Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
I would think of what the wind would do with a car cover on. How long do you think it would take for the buffeting to start showing damage to your paint finish? I envision a dry towel being rubbed back and forth on a dusty car and what that would do.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
giraffee (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
If you buy a quality cover, specifically fitted for your car (I have 3 Noah covers by Covercraft, purchased from AutoAnything), ensure the car is absolutely clean before installing it and use the gust-guards front and rear you can leave the car out in gale force winds with no paint damage. The Noah cover is my favorite for outside storage, soft inside and thick enough to protect from falling nuts or small branches. And they wash easily in a commercial washing machine.

I rotate three cars outside year-round and with a little extra effort before covering, have maintained a show quality finish on all three.

BTW, parking on grass will allow the moisture to permeate your chassis and undercarriage and could result in degradation where you can't easily see it. It's much worse than parking on concrete or asphalt. If possible, I would stake a quality waterproof tarp down (I've used tent stakes) in the area where you're parking, then park over it before covering the car.

Just my 2 cents on this, there are a lot of opinions. I'm basing mine on some 30 years of experience in always having more cars than garage space!

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clembo For This Useful Post:
TommyFive (08-14-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Wind + car cover = swirl marks and the removal of paint.

On my fathers A7 we had a car cover, the wind would pick up and move the cover in a little bit and now near the trunk you see slight removal of clear coat. Only i can see it but still...

I'd only use a car cover for an inside car which won't be driven often, even then you have to be positive the car is 100% clean on the body.

If your so afraid of the paint just make sure you always have a good coating of wax or sealant on the paint. Maybe go Opti coat, it wasn't for me but it might perfect for you.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #8
giraffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clembo View Post
If you buy a quality cover, specifically fitted for your car (I have 3 Noah covers by Covercraft, purchased from AutoAnything), ensure the car is absolutely clean before installing it and use the gust-guards front and rear you can leave the car out in gale force winds with no paint damage. The Noah cover is my favorite for outside storage, soft inside and thick enough to protect from falling nuts or small branches. And they wash easily in a commercial washing machine.

I rotate three cars outside year-round and with a little extra effort before covering, have maintained a show quality finish on all three.

BTW, parking on grass will allow the moisture to permeate your chassis and undercarriage and could result in degradation where you can't easily see it. It's much worse than parking on concrete or asphalt. If possible, I would stake a quality waterproof tarp down (I've used tent stakes) in the area where you're parking, then park over it before covering the car.

Just my 2 cents on this, there are a lot of opinions. I'm basing mine on some 30 years of experience in always having more cars than garage space!
so much for your suggestions.
My car isn't clean a lot of the time, well not spotless so it seems no car cover would be the better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Wind + car cover = swirl marks and the removal of paint.

On my fathers A7 we had a car cover, the wind would pick up and move the cover in a little bit and now near the trunk you see slight removal of clear coat. Only i can see it but still...

I'd only use a car cover for an inside car which won't be driven often, even then you have to be positive the car is 100% clean on the body.

If your so afraid of the paint just make sure you always have a good coating of wax or sealant on the paint. Maybe go Opti coat, it wasn't for me but it might perfect for you.
I have opti-coat already but am still cynical on how much it can protect against swirls/scratches when using a car cover.

Last edited by giraffee; 08-14-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Clembo
'Senior' Junior Member

Drives: 13 FR-S,08 Mustang Bullitt,06 MX-5
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Below is what a quality, properly fitted cover should look like - it fits snug to every body panel. If properly fitted there is no movement of the cover at all in the wind and with the addition of gust guards, it will stay in place through most anything mother nature can dish out. Almost three years like this and I have no swirls (most of them come from improper washing), no rubs, no scratches and no damage anywhere. BTW, this is on a Mazda MX-5.

"You'll never know if you don't try" - Shinroko Momose
Clembo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clembo For This Useful Post:
giraffee (08-17-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Greg Nichols
Paint Correction Guru

Drives: F150 Platinum
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
to lessen the evil on the car cover, only put the cover on after the car has been washed.

How will you get tree sap with no trees around?

Cheers,
GREG
Ask a pro blog writer for detailed image
duPont Registry approved detailer
Greg Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
giraffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Nichols View Post
to lessen the evil on the car cover, only put the cover on after the car has been washed.

How will you get tree sap with no trees around?

Cheers,
GREG
Honestly, I have no idea, but it's all over my car. There are some big trees nearby (sorta)?
I have just come to the conclusion that trees like their sap spread like the plague.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #12
bestwheelbase

Drives: 1985 P-Type
Thanked 2,058 Times in 1,098 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clembo View Post
This is big. You could build a small shelter to solve the tree sap issue, but if you park on grass or dirt, the moisture from the ground is going to ruin your undercarriage with premature corrosion. If you cannot park on pavement, definitely put down some thick plastic. Just like in the crawl space of a house.
bestwheelbase is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bestwheelbase For This Useful Post:
Clembo (08-27-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Mr. Sparkle

Drives: Mr. Sparkle Detailing Wagon
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I dont like either option, but I may go without the car cover. I've corrected a few cars specifically because of damage from car covers.

Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
If you're on some land, you can do a try an industrial shipping container, and add a modern finish or paint to cover up the sheet metal if you need to, and just create a personal garage pod http://www.ebay.com/sch/Shipping-Con...-/92079/i.html
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
car cover, covercraft, outdoors, tree sap