follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-26-2019, 09:30 AM   #127
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
As far as power is concerned, I dont see how they'll do it. Tada doesn't want forced induction and the fa20 is Subarus strongest na motor. No way they develop a new motor for this car. Maybe an anecdotal increase somehow? Imo they would just let the 86 taper down to nothing before making a big r&d commitment to it
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
dowroa (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 04:27 PM   #128
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Tada doesn't want forced induction and the fa20 is Subarus strongest na motor. No way they develop a new motor for this car. Maybe an anecdotal increase somehow?
They have other engines that could be used. One rumour is the FA24 2.4L used in other Subaru models. There is absolutely no reason they can’t take the turbo off that, and tune it with a high redline for the next 86, just as they did for the FA20. Assuming they get close to 100HP per L the FA24 could even make around 230-240HP (again, some rumours are it may be around 225HP). There is no need to develop an entirely new engine, it is almost guaranteed to be one of Subi’s existing boxer 4s.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 06:18 PM   #129
Lantanafrs2

That motor was designed for a turbo. It might be torquier though and that would help
Old 11-26-2019, 07:23 PM   #130
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
What gives you that impression? They may well decide to stick with the existing platform if they are satisfied with incremental improvement at minimum development cost.

Changing to another platform entirely only seems necessary if they decide to go turbo or perhaps hybrid, as supposedly the existing platform isn’t ideal for it (aftermarket FI mods notwithstanding).

Personally, my biggest fear is they may hybridize it or load it with other tech that adds weight, complexity and cost. I really hope they keep it as a normal ICE with nothing unnecessary.
I am pretty sure they made an official announcement about it. I was sad, but let's see what they come up with. I think the center of gravity remaining low+keeping weight down are top factors.
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:02 PM   #131
Bowl Full of Crazy

Drives: C6 Corvette
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-86 View Post
What gives you that impression? They may well decide to stick with the existing platform if they are satisfied with incremental improvement at minimum development cost.

Changing to another platform entirely only seems necessary if they decide to go turbo or perhaps hybrid, as supposedly the existing platform isn’t ideal for it (aftermarket FI mods notwithstanding).

Personally, my biggest fear is they may hybridize it or load it with other tech that adds weight, complexity and cost. I really hope they keep it as a normal ICE with nothing unnecessary.
You might be right. The reference to the TNGA platform is just based on what I read in several articles -- still all rumored possibilities. And, I sympathize with your fear. I expressed a similar fear. I think that they need to stick with the formula that made the BRZ a pure driver's car.

If I spin the wheel and choose a vowel, here's my logic. I read that a Toyota executive stated that they have a high benchmark for the next generation. This makes sense -- they should. The sales are declining and, if they just do a minor refresh, it would not help the sales numbers materially. So, the move to a TNGA platform could make sense, if the hype is to be believed (e.g., stiffer chassis, low center of gravity, etc.). Subaru's new architecture won't accommodate rear-wheel drive, so the Toyota platform is the only option if they want to push the envelope on improving handling (versus sticking with existing platform and standing still). And a move to the FA24 motor would help with the main criticism of the car -- power. Both the TNGA platform and FA24 are largely developed already, so it keeps costs down in relative terms.

My two cents (worth, at best, a penny)...
Bowl Full of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowl Full of Crazy For This Useful Post:
dowroa (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 09:11 PM   #132
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The TNGA platform yields cars with incredibly high side proportions, right?

One of the best things I like about the BRZ is the small coupe look along with the pretty good proportions.

The increasing belt lines of cars is... not desirable.

How does this platform help lower the center of gravity relative to the current BRZs platform?

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVumxSarcdc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVumxSarcdc[/ame]
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #133
Bowl Full of Crazy

Drives: C6 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowroa View Post
The TNGA platform yields cars with incredibly high side proportions, right?

One of the best things I like about the BRZ is the small coupe look along with the pretty good proportions.

The increasing belt lines of cars is... not desirable.

How does this platform help lower the center of gravity relative to the current BRZs platform?

I'm a layman, at best. As I mentioned, I'll preface this by saying, again, that my two cents is worth a penny. I can only relay what I've read. I'm not sure that the TNGA platform would lower the center of gravity relative to the current BRZ platform; however, I've read that it's architecture would allow for a low placement of motor/powertrain (similar to current architecture). So, presumably it might be able to replicate the same low center of gravity while increasing chassis rigidity.

I agree with you about the coupe look -- it's a sweet design and I hope they keep that basic scheme intact in the new generation.
Bowl Full of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowl Full of Crazy For This Useful Post:
dowroa (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 10:24 PM   #134
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post
I am pretty sure they made an official announcement about it. I was sad, but let's see what they come up with. I think the center of gravity remaining low+keeping weight down are top factors.
They have made zero announcements beyond "we are going to make one". The platform, engine, styling, etc, "announcements" were the clickbait "press" making shit up and the rest running with it and adding their own crap to the pile. These are the same sites that said we were 100% guaranteed by their insiders to see the concept at the Tokyo show. Does anybody have any pics of this 100% guaranteed reveal? Any Toyota/Subaru press releases to share? No?
The internet is rife with speculation, theories and just pure made up to get clicks bullshit. Don't fall for it.
Red-86 (12-02-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 10:32 PM   #135
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowl Full of Crazy View Post
You might be right. The reference to the TNGA platform is just based on what I read in several articles -- still all rumored possibilities. And, I sympathize with your fear. I expressed a similar fear. I think that they need to stick with the formula that made the BRZ a pure driver's car.

If I spin the wheel and choose a vowel, here's my logic. I read that a Toyota executive stated that they have a high benchmark for the next generation. This makes sense -- they should. The sales are declining and, if they just do a minor refresh, it would not help the sales numbers materially. So, the move to a TNGA platform could make sense, if the hype is to be believed (e.g., stiffer chassis, low center of gravity, etc.). Subaru's new architecture won't accommodate rear-wheel drive, so the Toyota platform is the only option if they want to push the envelope on improving handling (versus sticking with existing platform and standing still). And a move to the FA24 motor would help with the main criticism of the car -- power. Both the TNGA platform and FA24 are largely developed already, so it keeps costs down in relative terms.

My two cents (worth, at best, a penny)...
They don't give two shits about sales numbers for these cars. It isn't a profit builder like a Corolla. Never was intended to be and they have said that outright. They plan what they make and the they sell all that they build and are happy with that plan.

Why the hell would the Subaru AWD platform (it isn't a fixed "chassis") not work for RWD but the Toyota FWD one would?

The new Subie platform will be used for the smallest of their cars right up to the largest and is fully adaptable for all of them. It would be nothing to adapt it to RWD. The Toyota one would take major surgery and not be compatible with the Subaru assembly process.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #136
Red-86

Drives: 86 (sold), 370Z
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The Toyota one would take major surgery and not be compatible with the Subaru assembly process.
Also, TNGA with a Subaru boxer engine doesn't sound easily compatible. If they were going to use a Toyota inline 4, TNGA might make sense. If they are sticking with a Subi engine, I expect it will go into the existing platform or a modified version of the new Impreza one, as with the original 86.

I really don't think they need to change much in terms of the platform. No-one has criticised the current platform, it is still ahead of the pack (maybe it could benefit from some extra stiffness). Power/torque, interior refinement, styling tweaks, these are the areas with room for improvement.
Red-86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red-86 For This Useful Post:
dowroa (12-02-2019), Tcoat (12-03-2019)
Old 01-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #137
Mr Breeze

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, 2018 Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
That list is well intentioned but ridiculous. Why no turbo?
I would gladly trade a turbo for individual throttle bodies on the FA24 instead.
Mr Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #138
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Breeze View Post
I would gladly trade a turbo for individual throttle bodies on the FA24 instead.
With like two gas pedals?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #139
Lantanafrs2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Breeze View Post
You'll see the platform electrified before you see itbs
Old 01-21-2020, 11:58 PM   #140
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
I'd like to see the new vehicle have 4 wheels, and generally some suspension of some sort.

Oh, and if one pair of wheels could turn to change the direction of travel, that would be swell.
NoHaveMSG (01-22-2020), spike021 (01-22-2020)