follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-03-2014, 10:11 PM   #1
FatFree

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Header info for a newbie

So I'm interested in getting an aftermarket header for my frs but I have a few questions.

My first concern is that when I look up headers for my frs they say that they are for off-road use only. Why is this? Will I risk the chance of getting pulled over and ticketed because of an aftermarket header?

Also, are there any concerns with the reliability of aftermarket headers? Will I have to worry about anything breaking down?

I'd ultimately like to get a header and an open flash tablet to increase my horsepower. Are there any other problems that could come with installing an aftermarket header? Thanks!
FatFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FatFree For This Useful Post:
irxproductions (08-08-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #2
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
The primary catalytic converter for our car is in the header. Federal regulations prevent any alterations to the factory emissions control system, of which the catalytic converter is a part of.

To that end, any aftermarket header can only be sold for off-road use.

Will you get pulled over for it? Probably not. Will you fail a state emissions inspection? Possible. Depends on your state and testing facility, as well as luck of the draw sometimes.

Reliability - it's not a moving part, so the worst that could happen is you have an exhaust leak somewhere. Either an ill-fitting flange, or a crack in a weld, for example. Won't stop your car from operating, but could lead to additional noise, as well as exhaust/heat escaping from a part of your exhaust system it's not supposed to.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foobar For This Useful Post:
FatFree (08-03-2014), KalbiCool88 (05-23-2016), lastexile1987 (08-09-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFree View Post
So I'm interested in getting an aftermarket header for my frs but I have a few questions.

My first concern is that when I look up headers for my frs they say that they are for off-road use only. Why is this? Will I risk the chance of getting pulled over and ticketed because of an aftermarket header?

Also, are there any concerns with the reliability of aftermarket headers? Will I have to worry about anything breaking down?

I'd ultimately like to get a header and an open flash tablet to increase my horsepower. Are there any other problems that could come with installing an aftermarket header? Thanks!

I believe it says "for off road use only" for headers that are catless, therefor making your vehicle unable to pass an emissions test. The car comes stock with two and altering it down to one effects the final product coming out the exhaust tips. It is most likely there because the item was designed for track use and the company does not want to get sued. This is my theory anyways, hopefully someone can back me up.

There should be no reliability issues with an aftermarket header if you buy from a reputable brand. I would strongly recommend digging through the forum for user reviews and dynos. If longevity is a concern of yours, you can a ceramic coating for the header.

I will be in the same market as you shortly. Headers and OFT once I move to my new house and rent goes down substantially.

Have you considered the OFT and the OFH together? I am consider the OFH, the JDL, or the Nameless. Havent made up my mind yet
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:21 PM   #4
GotBRZ1691

Damn, @Foobar beat me to the punch
Old 08-03-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
FatFree

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post
Have you considered the OFT and the OFH together?
Yeah that's exactly what I'm considering. I think an increase of roughly 20hp is pretty decent for around $1000. I just don't want to do it if it were to cause problems down the road. I also don't like noises that aren't supposed to be there. I'm rather OCD about random noises...
Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 PM   #6
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Reliability - it's not a moving part, so the worst that could happen is you have an exhaust leak somewhere. Either an ill-fitting flange, or a crack in a weld, for example. Won't stop your car from operating, but could lead to additional noise, as well as exhaust/heat escaping from a part of your exhaust system it's not supposed to.
I would be scared of a cheap catted headers cat clogging and fucking everything personally..
This car has allowed car enthusiasts to come from all different walks of life, car cultures, and brands. Just as a panda is black, white, and Asian; the 86 is Toyota, Subaru, and downright fucking sexy.
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon99 For This Useful Post:
FatFree (08-04-2014)
Old 08-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #7
GotBRZ1691

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatFree View Post
Yeah that's exactly what I'm considering. I think an increase of roughly 20hp is pretty decent for around $1000. I just don't want to do it if it were to cause problems down the road. I also don't like noises that aren't supposed to be there. I'm rather OCD about random noises...
I am the same way. I pulled off the highway about a week ago to fix the stupid rattle from rear deck.

Your exhaust will sounds bit louder I would imagine. Are you planning on any other exhaust mods?
Old 08-03-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post
I would be scared of a cheap catted headers cat clogging and fucking everything personally..
Agree. I didn't mention problems with aftermarket cats as most of these aftermarket headers are probably cat less.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:42 AM   #9
akahenry

Drives: '18 STi
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Chances of you getting pulled over with a catless system is extremely unlikely unless you're driving like an asshole and your car sounds like a Harley. Generally speaking, you won't get pulled over.
Again like a member said above, companies use the "for - off road use" because it's federally illegal to sell exhaust components without cats for the street. Plus companies can get sued if they forget to put the "for off road use only" if they're selling an aftermarket exhaust component.
Yes, get the OFT + your header of choice (anything but Borla and cheap brands). You'll love it!
akahenry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to akahenry For This Useful Post:
FatFree (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #10
FatFree

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotBRZ1691 View Post
Are you planning on any other exhaust mods?

Yeah I'm thinking about a cat back exhaust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #11
football751

Drives: n/a
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As far as emissions go for catless headers, if all they do for emissions testing is plug into your OBDII port and pull data will they be able to tell you've changed out the header? Anyone live in an emission-testing zone and having issues? My county doesn't do emissions testing, but it's always possible that I'll move to a county that does. I know some vehicles require an O2 sensor replacement to "trick" the ECU so you don't throw any codes with a catless header, but haven't seen anything about this for the BRZ.
football751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
FatFree

I am also interested in what happens once I need to get an emmissions test. Is there an easy way to pass it with an ofh is installed?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
You can place the o2 sensors around the secondary cat when the primary cat is removed with the stock header. From what I've been told this is enough to make the ecu think the primary cat is still there.

So you will need an o2 sensor bung with cap and an o2 extension wire. You have the bung welded into your front pipe after the secondary cat and place your after-cat sensor there. Your before cat sensor goes where you would normally put the after cat sensor. You plug up where you would normally put the before cat sensor.

I installed my catless uel header this past weekend and have yet to throw a cel. I will be doing this sensor relocation this weekend.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:53 PM   #14
EpicNameBro

Drives: Slow...
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-R-Z View Post
You can place the o2 sensors around the secondary cat when the primary cat is removed with the stock header. From what I've been told this is enough to make the ecu think the primary cat is still there.

So you will need an o2 sensor bung with cap and an o2 extension wire. You have the bung welded into your front pipe after the secondary cat and place your after-cat sensor there. Your before cat sensor goes where you would normally put the after cat sensor. You plug up where you would normally put the before cat sensor.

I installed my catless uel header this past weekend and have yet to throw a cel. I will be doing this sensor relocation this weekend.
I would avoid this...mainly because this car already is extremely picky ecu-wise when it comes to mods that affect a/f ratio i.e header/intake. There is no definite cure to CEL without a tune just yet...and a tune=no warranty work.
EpicNameBro is offline   Reply With Quote