follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
neutron256, Robftss

Old 12-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #883
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

Drives: 2014 BRZ Premium, WRB
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target70 View Post
The control box for the phantom is also the battery charger. From my understanding, it was designed to shut off the charging function while operating the motor. Operating at WOT is fine but the signal will have to come from somewhere, so if the ESC is replaced, a stand alone battery charger will be required, along with a disable circuit so the alternator doesn't add engine load while the batteries are discharging. I think the phantom also has motor ramp-up for smoother boost engagement, and a polarity brake that acts like a bov for throttle lift-off and shifting. I don't know if any of these are common features for typical off the shelf ESC's.
For the version of the system I purchased, my understanding is that there was also a "drag reduction" feature that spins up the compressor under normal driving conditions so that it doesn't act as a restriction on the intake.
vfrqqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 11:05 AM   #884
al3k

Drives: Audi A4 B7 2.0T Quattro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone disassembled a phantom compressor? I anyone sells the compressor only I might be interested
al3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:08 AM   #885
CY86

Drives: they all have 4 wheels
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by al3k View Post
Has anyone disassembled a phantom compressor? I anyone sells the compressor only I might be interested
are you having trouble getting your one to work properly ?
CY86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:11 AM   #886
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrqqq View Post
Yes, it is a cryin' shame that robftss isn't making or supporting the Phantom ESC anymore. I have been unsuccessful in making contact with either robftss or fenton, which is consistent with a number of others experiences. If I had to guess, it seems the Phantom ESC tech was either purchased by someone or there was perhaps some legal action related to patent infringement. Whatever the case, there has been complete silence regarding my numerous requests for support and/or a replacement part so I am considering that a dead end.

I considered purchasing someone else's entire system just to get the controller box and perhaps have a bin of spares laying around, but the price point for the performance gain with this system was the main driver for my decision to invest the money, faith, and patience in the first place *trying not to cry*. As such, getting a new system sorta defeats the purpose of the low price point.

Anyway, if there isn't some sort of obvious "duh " fix for my error or something that could serve as a drop in replacement for a reasonable amount of money, I will just likely put my system up for sale for anyone interested in tinkering with it. I just wanted to see if there wasn't a relatively simple and straightforward solution before giving up entirely.
would you be willing to "donate" it as a business investment? in return, we'll get you a new working model!
Old 12-06-2018, 04:26 AM   #887
CY86

Quote:
Yes, it is a cryin' shame that robftss isn't making or supporting the Phantom ESC anymore. I have been unsuccessful in making contact with either robftss or fenton, which is consistent with a number of others experiences. If I had to guess, it seems the Phantom ESC tech was either purchased by someone or there was perhaps some legal action related to patent infringement. Whatever the case, there has been complete silence regarding my numerous requests for support and/or a replacement part so I am considering that a dead end.

I considered purchasing someone else's entire system just to get the controller box and perhaps have a bin of spares laying around, but the price point for the performance gain with this system was the main driver for my decision to invest the money, faith, and patience in the first place *trying not to cry*. As such, getting a new system sorta defeats the purpose of the low price point.

Anyway, if there isn't some sort of obvious "duh " fix for my error or something that could serve as a drop in replacement for a reasonable amount of money, I will just likely put my system up for sale for anyone interested in tinkering with it. I just wanted to see if there wasn't a relatively simple and straightforward solution before giving up entirely.
HAve you talked to shiv? maybe he has access to some controllers?

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...&postcount=101
Old 12-06-2018, 08:45 AM   #888
PatSciFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by al3k View Post
These people are selling complete functional units as well as the compressor by itself.
Check it out: https://arcsuperchargers.com/contact/
PatSciFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatSciFRS For This Useful Post:
CY86 (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 12:55 AM   #889
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSciFRS View Post
These people are selling complete functional units as well as the compressor by itself.
Check it out: https://arcsuperchargers.com/contact/
I've seen their site before... i wish they had more info on their product though.

@al3k if you wanna buy a working compressor, the guys at torqamp also have a working model... they are generating 6psi if i recall.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #890
PatSciFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by CY86 View Post
I've seen their site before... i wish they had more info on their product though.

@al3k if you wanna buy a working compressor, the guys at torqamp also have a working model... they are generating 6psi if i recall.
Yeah, I agree. But AL3K was asking about a stand-alone compressor that's why I suggested ARC. Torqamp, (https://torqamp.com/ordering-information/ ) is in the Netherlands and they will sell a complete unit for about the same price ($3300) as ARC but not the compressor by itself.

In any case, I guess it will be up to AL3K to decide what he wants to do.
PatSciFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatSciFRS For This Useful Post:
CY86 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 01:00 PM   #891
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

So FYI, I've decided I am going to put my Phantom ESC compressor/motor up for sale. I'll be happy to include the non-functioning controller box as part of the sale at no extra cost if there is interest. I have to completely remove it from my car so I can take pictures, but I expect to post it in the classifieds by this weekend for anyone interested.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #892
CY86

Quote:
So FYI, I've decided I am going to put my Phantom ESC compressor/motor up for sale. I'll be happy to include the non-functioning controller box as part of the sale at no extra cost if there is interest. I have to completely remove it from my car so I can take pictures, but I expect to post it in the classifieds by this weekend for anyone interested.
Please link it for us here.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #893
al3k

Drives: Audi A4 B7 2.0T Quattro
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I was just just wondering if the were cheap like 300usd or something but I guess they aint.

Im trying to improve my unit, waiting for a new billett compressor wheel which I hope is the correct shape and fits. also got some new alu adapers discs which I will try to make better than the last one as it wasnt 100% centered.

Kind of looks like ARC superchargers is using TP power motors too, but maybe a custom one.

Ive been in touch with torqamp and followed them for some time, looks like a great solution.
al3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #894
vfrqqq
Ultra Senior Member

FYI, I posted my Phantom ESC for sale in the classifieds
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...80#post3162280

Also, for anyone interested, I have a separate ad to sell my PROcede controller.
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131826

Last edited by vfrqqq; 12-09-2018 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added link
Old 12-14-2018, 06:06 AM   #895
KroozX

Drives: Peugeot
Recently made another video with testing of my custom electric compressor.
This time was achieved some decent 4,3PSI (0,3Bar) pressure on high rpms. The custom motor controller allows to measure RPMs, so this time it had about 60,000 RPM.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKkaXNhuXD8[/ame]
KroozX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KroozX For This Useful Post:
CY86 (12-14-2018), neutron256 (12-14-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #896
CY86

Quote:
Originally Posted by KroozX View Post
Recently made another video with testing of my custom electric compressor.
This time was achieved some decent 4,3PSI (0,3Bar) pressure on high rpms. The custom motor controller allows to measure RPMs, so this time it had about 60,000 RPM.

that's awesome man! keep up the great work!

Tags
hairdyerperformance, only pulls hard one gear