follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Loud clunk from rear of car

Well my 2013 started making really loud clunking noises from the rear (seems to be on the right side maybe) axle area. It happened twice this morning once from a dead stop and another time on a roll about 10mph as I let the clutch out when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

It was really cold today and after the car warmed up it did not happen anymore. But now I feel like I can hear a slight click from the rear after letting clutch out and hitting gas on any gear.

My car has less than 20k miles.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Ozzman

Drives: old
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Take the bowling ball out of the trunk.
Ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozzman For This Useful Post:
SportInjected (11-14-2014)
Old 11-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you set the emergency brake(s) .... they could make a sound like that as they release...??

Sometimes, on some cars, the ABS does a "self test" on startup ..... which will make a "clunk" sound...??

It could be the rear calipers are cold (stiff) and abruptly release the pads ...??

It could be that "sheet metal rear panel" shifting making a sound that some folks experience ...??

It could be that the differential is just cold ... ??

Maybe the rear axle universals are worn ... ??

If it continues, you may wish to take it into a shop for a look see.....

humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 11-15-2014 at 01:17 AM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-15-2014), Ultramaroon (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #4
Guff
Now w/ over 400 womprats!

Drives: BRZ LZR
Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,424 Posts
Mentioned: 301 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
If it's a click sound, then its likely a bad CV. It's a common problem on this car, as I have already had both the right and left rear CVs go bad. It is covered under warranty, so I would take it to the dealer and tell them to check it out.
Guff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:14 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guff View Post
If it's a click sound, then its likely a bad CV. It's a common problem on this car, as I have already had both the right and left rear CVs go bad. It is covered under warranty, so I would take it to the dealer and tell them to check it out.
Are you lowered?
I understand that this issue is rather common with lowered cars and mine is, so have been a bit paranoid about it.
That is the only issue with a forum like this, you start to worry about things that you would normally be blissfully oblivious to!
Old 11-15-2014, 01:25 AM   #6
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Are you lowered?
I understand that this issue is rather common with lowered cars and mine is, so have been a bit paranoid about it.
That is the only issue with a forum like this, you start to worry about things that you would normally be blissfully oblivious to!
Nope, stock suspension!
The Following User Says Thank You to Guff For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-15-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Nope, stock suspension!
Damn that scares me even more!
Well at least they are TRD springs so don't void my warranty.
Maybe be lucky and avoid it altogether.
Thanks!
Old 11-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
tennisfreak

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
If you set the emergency brake(s) .... they could make a sound like that as they release...??

Sometimes, on some cars, the ABS does a "self test" on startup ..... which will make a "clunk" sound...??

It could be the rear calipers are cold (stiff) and abruptly release the pads ...??

It could be that "sheet metal rear panel" shifting making a sound that some folks experience ...??

It could be that the differential is just cold ... ??

Maybe the rear axle universals are worn ... ??

If it continues, you may wish to take it into a shop for a look see.....

humfrz

Don't think it could be abs or emergency brake because the sound happens after I have backed up out of my parking space or garage and start moving forward.
The sound happened again once on my way home from work yesterday as I pulled out of my parking garage after coming down 3 floors with no sound.
It most definitely is coming from underneath the car and I can not only hear it but feel it as well.
Right now its not something that I can easily repeat because after driving for 5 minutes and the car is warm it does not happen. If I park the car and get back in a drive it before the car gets completely cold it does not happen.

I want to take it to the dealer for a look see but I am thinking I need to wait until it happens more often otherwise I will be wasting my time when they claim they cannot find anything wrong.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #9
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Don't think it could be abs or emergency brake because the sound happens after I have backed up out of my parking space or garage and start moving forward.
The sound happened again once on my way home from work yesterday as I pulled out of my parking garage after coming down 3 floors with no sound.
It most definitely is coming from underneath the car and I can not only hear it but feel it as well.
Right now its not something that I can easily repeat because after driving for 5 minutes and the car is warm it does not happen. If I park the car and get back in a drive it before the car gets completely cold it does not happen.

I want to take it to the dealer for a look see but I am thinking I need to wait until it happens more often otherwise I will be wasting my time when they claim they cannot find anything wrong.
hmmmm.......sounds more like what @Guff was talking about. A CV joint may be failing.

This can be checked by having the car put on a rack and a trained technician can inspect for a torn boot and/or maybe make it "click" if it's worn.

Then again, maybe your car is just making "cold, creaking sounds" because of the cold weather ....

I'd still have it checked by a shop. Ask them to show/have a listen to, by comparing one side to the another ...... so they just don't sell you some expensive repair parts which were not necessary.

I hope you get it sorted out .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
tennisfreak

Garage
Thanks humfrz.

Even though it stayed cold this weekend it did not make the loud clunk again.

Not sure what the heck is going on but if I hear it again I will taker her in for a check up.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
cycleboy

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - Argento
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Shifting from 1-2 at 10mph.

What is that like 2000 rpm?

Is it just lugging from not winding it up enough? Does it do it if you shift at 5K revs and much higher mph?
cycleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #12
M&W_FRS

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
This is the problem my car is having (one of many). The dealership is pretending that they cant replicate it even though it happens consistently and both mechanics that drove with me on test drives heard the noise.
M&W_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M&W_FRS For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-26-2014)
Old 11-26-2014, 01:23 AM   #13
Guff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&W_FRS View Post
This is the problem my car is having (one of many). The dealership is pretending that they cant replicate it even though it happens consistently and both mechanics that drove with me on test drives heard the noise.
I took the dealer tech out for a spin when mine was happening and he heard it (it was very audible at that point). After hearing it, he immediately ordered the part. If the dealer tech hears the click then there's no way they can refuse you warranty service.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
M&W_FRS

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I took the dealer tech out for a spin when mine was happening and he heard it (it was very audible at that point). After hearing it, he immediately ordered the part. If the dealer tech hears the click then there's no way they can refuse you warranty service.
Thats awesome. That is how it should be.

One of the dealer techs who rode along has an FRS and he claims his makes the same noise but that they cant figure out why and the other dealer tech (head mechanic) claims its normal noise from the driveshaft despite it being a new noise after 1.5 years of ownership. They both seemed mystified when I mentioned the CV joint.
M&W_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote