follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Kiteless
Hot Lava

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1990 Miata 5MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Dealership called me today ...

Wanted to know what color I wanted and what transmission. I told them "Hot Lava" and a Manual. I also asked them when an accessories catalog or accessory pricing might become available. She said that it it generally happens about a month before the car comes to the dealer so it should come some time next month. She also said that she was told some accessories would not be available right when the cars hit the dealers, but could be purchased with the car (and financed along with the car) and installed after they become available. Also asked me if I would be financing and if I would be trading in a car. I also confirmed that I am 2nd in line at the biggest Toyota dealer in Silicon Valley. My buddy Brian is 1st in line..

Anybody else get this call?

-- J
Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Drives: Asphalt 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiteless View Post
Wanted to know what color I wanted and what transmission.

-- J

You were at the largest dealer in your area and are #2 on the dealers order list but the dealer did not know the color and transmission of the car they were suppose to order for you?

That does not sound good. I would have thought Scion would have been further along in the ordering/assembly line process.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Kiteless
Hot Lava

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 1990 Miata 5MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypm View Post
You were at the largest dealer in your area and are #2 on the dealers order list but the dealer did not know the color and transmission of the car they were suppose to order for you?

That does not sound good. I would have thought Scion would have been further along in the ordering/assembly line process.
Hmm hadn't thought about it that way. When I put down my deposit, they didn't have a formal way to do anything other than give me a spot in line. I am not in a hurry. I only hope that the color and tranny combo I want comes in the first batch. If not, I will wait.
-- J
Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Spd229

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S AT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
As is the case at just about EVERY toyota / scion dealer.

They pretty much know nothing unless they're interested in the vehicle themselves, until a formal training / manual is released for the sale of the vehicle; odds are it'll continue to be this way for the time being.

Dealers in my area are just as clueless as I've mentioned in a few other threads, not knowing color / options / etc isn't a shock. Granted by common sense you'd assume that all this information would have trickled down to dealerships by now with Scion / Toyota expecting pre-orders (or so we would hope?).

Last I talked to my dealer the car and colors still did not exist in their system, so here's to hoping that with the release of accessories, etc that the information will be posted in their systems so that dealers finally get the ball rolling on learning the information.

Same boat for BRZ information...hell I got quoted a November arrival date for a BRZ back on March 15th.

Overall I'm surprised they asked you for your preference, was that in fact for an actual order? Or was that simply so that they know more or less what you're looking for but will be giving you a pick of the vehicles that arrive at the dealership?

The latter is what has been arranged thus far at my dealership, as they currently haven't been provided the information / system for creating actual factory orders....supposedly.

Last edited by Spd229; 04-04-2012 at 01:26 PM. Reason: date error
Spd229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
ryansb

Drives: Fuji Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did they mention how much cars your dealership is getting? Here on Oahu they said were getting 9, and i'm number 10.
ryansb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Spd229

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansb View Post
Did they mention how much cars your dealership is getting? Here on Oahu they said were getting 9, and i'm number 10.
In my case, the dealer currently has no idea on the overall allocation (currently guessing they'll get 1 a month or something..I hope not).
Spd229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #7
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,388 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansb View Post
You'll get the car around november. Have fun doing round top drive in it.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
bFreed

Drives: FRS, X83, W108
I talked to my salesman last saturday. He had a very solid answer of June 1st for release date. He told me that he would let me pick at whatever they get in. They get what they get, if it's not what I want then I wait for the next one basically. This was from a VERY large dealership in MD.
bFreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Spd229

Quote:
Originally Posted by bFreed View Post
I talked to my salesman last saturday. He had a very solid answer of June 1st for release date. He told me that he would let me pick at whatever they get in. They get what they get, if it's not what I want then I wait for the next one basically. This was from a VERY large dealership in MD.
Pretty much how I've been told as well. I just hope the dealer gets what i want!

1/14 chance lol.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spd229 View Post
Pretty much how I've been told as well. I just hope the dealer gets what i want!

1/14 chance lol.

Sounds like everyone who has placed a deposit on a car and are number x on the list of allocated cars will not get the car they desire.

These buyers, during the first several months, need to be open to all the different colors.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Spd229

Quote:
Sounds like everyone who has placed a deposit on a car and are number x on the list of allocated cars will not get the car they desire.

These buyers, during the first several months, need to be open to all the different colors.
That depends, if you don't like it and if there are others, they call the next guy till someone wants it. Worst case dealers try to swap (that will be rare initially however....as I imagine people are going to hold on to what they've got).

I don't plan on compromising unless I just like the other color.

Pay for what you want, not what you can get. Just have to be patient.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
lupehoops26

Drives: 2007 Tacoma / 2008 Kawi EX500
Quote:

For those of us in the SET district (Southeast Toyota Distributors - one of only two privately owned Toyota distribution groups in the US that serves Florida, Georgia, Alabama, North & South Carolina), it's very possible to swap vehicles between dealerships, so while your dealership may not be able to order a vehicle in the first batch, it's still possible to get the one you want.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #13
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spd229 View Post
That depends, if you don't like it and if there are others, they call the next guy till someone wants it. Worst case dealers try to swap (that will be rare initially however....as I imagine people are going to hold on to what they've got).

I wonder if Scion will look at the color break down ratios that were ordered under the first 86 program and apply it to the first several months of cars shipped into the US?
If so, I feel for the buyer who has followed this car for years. Then placed their deposit early with the dealer and wants a scarcer color, only to have to wait 5-6 months for it to come in.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
terrypm
First86 & burning gas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupehoops26 View Post
..... it's very possible to swap vehicles between dealerships, so while your dealership may not be able to order a vehicle in the first batch, it's still possible to get the one you want.
A possibility but some dealers do not have good working relationships with each other plus it will cost additional $$$ to perform a dealer transfer and your new car could have 300-400 miles on it when you buy it.

Also the swapping dealer who has the car you want might would rather sell it to one of his customers on his list than swapping it with you. He might not want your car with several hundred miles on it.