follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #15
ejkiet

Drives: 2014 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
Yeah, most tuners use the evap solenoid wiring for boost control. Did they include a properly terminated harness or did you have to splice the wiring yourself? Did you install hose clamps on all of the vacuum hoses under the manifold? They tend to come loose under boost. Also did they include a replacement PCV? The stock one doesn't like boost either.
-Matt

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Not sure if the treadstone kit was suppose to come with one but I didn't get a replacement pcv. They actually didn't mail me the kit in full but instead mailed me pieces of the kit across 6 months and I ended up having to to still buy some fittings, buy my own fuel pump (cuz the one they sent me had no pigtail or strainer) ect ect. Not the best experience.

Car is finally cool and that was the first thing I checked (the 2 hoses under the manifold). They were still intact but I was able to slide the hose on and off with my finger tips at the nipple behind the throttle body. I'm not sure if that is enough to cause such a drastic spike in my stft but I guess it's possible. I'm going to find a creative way to put a zip tie on it later tonight. I would love to keep pointing the finger at the manifold hoses but I have been staying out of boost since I'm not tuned yet and I'm only experiencing a measurable vac leak at idle. Stft drops when to normal values when cruising.
ejkiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 09:06 PM   #16
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
During idle is when you will be under high vacuum, if you have a leak, you will see P0171 during this time. Clamp every hose you can get to and like @guybo said, do a smoke test. For comparison sake, here's my log at idle when I had a vacuum leak and was popping P0171 codes. http://www.datazap.me/u/birdtrd/log-1497578227?log=0&data=6-10-11-30
LTFT and STFT were pegging and AFR still showed lean.
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:33 AM   #17
ejkiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdTRD View Post
During idle is when you will be under high vacuum, if you have a leak, you will see P0171 during this time. Clamp every hose you can get to and like @guybo said, do a smoke test. For comparison sake, here's my log at idle when I had a vacuum leak and was popping P0171 codes. http://www.datazap.me/u/birdtrd/log-1497578227?log=0&data=6-10-11-30
LTFT and STFT were pegging and AFR still showed lean.

Yeah, my stft high only during idle and is also when the code usually pops on. Typically what I noticed is when I resealed my v bands pre o2 sensor and reset the code, I did a lot of immediate driving which meant very little time idling. The day I left the car on outside my shop is when the cel popped back on.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:16 AM   #18
ejkiet

I did a smoke test earlier today and made no progress. Original test I would only see smoke coming out of the intake filter. Took off the filter and plugged the turbo with a glove, wrapped it tight and pumped about 1-2psi of smoke from a home made apparatus and still no luck. It seems to be able to hold pressure well and the only place whistling or having escape of noticeable air is where I plugged the turbo inlet at.

The pcv hose that was originally connected right before the throttle body did have smoke come out of it when I d/c the hose from the intake which means this hose will also see vacuum when the engine is running. Could it be that this is where unmetered air is coming from since it is pulling air right at the intake filter? Also I've noticed there was a pcv valve installed on the hose to the rear of the intake manifold on some turbo and super charge builds. could not having that pcv valve there also cause a lean condition similar to a vacuum leak?
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 AM   #19
BirdTRD
Simply Forgotus

Drives: 2014 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
@ejkiet Did you find the problem yet?
BirdTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 AM   #20
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejkiet View Post
I'm using the downpipe provided by the full Treadstone kit so the bungs for the o2's are all stacked in a row.

I'm using an aem uego wideband.

Are you absolutely certain that your WB02 connection is intended to be the closest to the turbo discharge? In all of my years I have always seen wideband bungs in downpipes furthest downstream.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:42 AM   #21
Amputechture

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
And are you using the rear 02 harness to plug your wideband into? If so, you could have your tuner send you a ROM with the rear 02 disabled so that you could rule faulty wideband out.