follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #57
arghx7

Drives: car
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
From a brief skimming, it looks like that Delphi paper is for gasoline compression ignition (as opposed to spark ignition) engines--basically, a diesel that runs on gasoline/petrol. So I'm not sure how much it applies here.
arghx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #58
lurker

Drives: 2urgse
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
anyone scoped cam/crank and the actual ecu DI and port injector signals??
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lurker For This Useful Post:
SkullWorks (07-03-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #59
lurker

Drives: 2urgse
Probably the most explanitory paper i have found in regards to DI pump control

https://docs.google.com/file/d/1o9hF...it?usp=sharing
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #60
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The ECU supplies and determines all timing of spill valve and injection, the box underhood commands the spill valve and works as a peak and hold driver (albeit @ 90-100v) for the injectors.

There is no cam signal going directly to this box, and any timing value that wasn't the drivers side intake cam would be useless anyway, as that cam has the 3-lobe pump drive on it. It is also important to remember that since it is 3 lobe it doesn't time well to the injection events, and if you ever exceed 60 degrees of open time (cam) or varies by more than 60 degrees (cam) timing, you need to reconsider your thoughts on the ability of the pump to work whilst injectors are open.

I do have a pump disassembled on my desk...they fixed some issues from audi's pumps, but also cheapened it up a bit, I found the crickets too lol....
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #61
arghx7

So Toyota is introducing a new generation D-4S system. I'm not sure exactly which engines it will end up on. The main differences are a high tumble port and a single fan-shaped spray designed to work with the tumble flow. Remember that the original D-4 direct injection was a high swirl combustion, and the D-4S on the FA20 is focused on high intake port flow. So this new system is following the industry trend of high tumble ports for faster combustion.

In the picture below you can see the difference between the D-4S dual fan spray which is presumably in the current GT86, and the new fan spray configuration.

Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arghx7 For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (11-09-2013), Sportsguy83 (12-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #62
arghx7

Here is some stuff on cold starts on this engine (coolant temperature around 23C), originally posted as part of this thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55676
These charts and comments I made are from data supplied by @mad_sb , who was running E85 at the time.

Here's how you can divide the cold start up. You have cranking, run up, flare, then a transition to catalyst heating mode. There are different priorities and goals in each portion of the start event. These are related to starting time, quality of initial combustion, engine out emissions, and catalyst heating energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
notice that the target idle rpm does not seem to pay attention to the target idle tables shown here during the retarded idle phase..
There's probably a different set of controls that hasn't been reverse engineered at this point. That's Injection Mode 3, which must be the mode for stratified combustion/catalyst heating.

Look at the middle plot. Black line is injection mode--you can see it changing during the different phases of the start. Notice how that corresponds to changes in start of direct Injection (purple) and spark timing (top line). So during injection mode 3, you have retarded spark, late injection timing in the compression stroke for stratified combustion, and a high idle. In injection mode 1 you can see that we are back to intake stroke injection with the early start of injection. Based on what I am seeing so far in this log, the AVCS isn't really doing anything in the starting process. Keep in mind that coolant temperature is about 23C. It might behave differently at other temperatures.

So intake cam is gray line, blue line is exhaust cam. Intake cam barely moved, exhaust is at 0. 1 or 2 degrees movement isn't going to create meaningful overlap. Maybe under other conditions the cams move. Usually, with a regular oil pressure hydraulic phaser you'll see the phaser move after the engine starts if it was tuned for cold start cam phasing. It takes some time for oil pressure to build up, and the cam phaser is difficult to control when cold.

If the engine has an electric cam phaser it can move immediately. Some engines have a regular oil pressure operated phaser but they can park the cam into an overlap position for cold start. This is to get immediate reburn of HC emissions during cranking--saves money on an expensive and restrictive cat. Other times you'll see the cams move on cold start, but it doesn't actually dial in overlap. It depends on how far the cam moves and what the grind of the cam is. The overlap can cause unstable combustion...it often needs certain tricks to stay stable, like late intake valve opening, tumble or swirl control valve, or restrictive intake port.

This graph shows a high pressure start, where the fuel pump ramps up pressure as fast as possible. 12-13 MPa seen here is typical on direct injection. It's needed for proper atomization of the fuel during stratified combustion. It's also possible for the whole engine to run at low fuel pressure (PFI pressures) as a failsafe. Think about all those BMW N54 engines that were driving around with jacked up fuel pumps back in the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to arghx7 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-16-2014)
Old 02-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #63
garverpaul

Drives: ford
Awesome post man, like that really.. can you tell me any site where i can get pics like this.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #64
arghx7

So I tracked down the technical paper that is specific to this FA20 engine, and it clears up a few things (see end of post where I have attached it). The spray pattern appears to be a single fan spray, angled differently than the old twin-spray pattern for V6 applications:

That makes sense considering it is a boxer engine. Here's an image showing a comparison between the FA20 intake port and the FB20 (basic naturally aspirated Impreza engine with PFI)

As I've said in the past, the fan-type injector is currently on used on Toyota D-4S engines. How about a comparison for context. What would a different DI spray pattern look like? Let's briefly examine the Porsche 997 turbo:

That's a multi-hole spray pattern with a high charge-motion port, designed for fast combustion and knock relief on a turbo engine. There are no port injectors. However, Porsche uses a high lift cam profile and multiple DI injection events for knock relief and more efficient combustion:

You can see the use of three injection events at low speed full load. This is unusual on solenoid DI injectors, as usually only piezoelectric A-cone injectors employ three injections. Compare that to our FA20 operation map, with fixed cam lift and as far as we know single DI injection events only:

So you can see a nice comparison there between combustion highly optimized for a high flowing, high revving n/a boxer application versus one highly optimized for a turbo. For reference, see attached paper on the FA20.

Development of Horizontally Opposed
2.0-liter Natural Aspiration Gasoline Engine
for Subaru BRZ
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Subaru FA20 D-4S engine paper.pdf (4.20 MB, 4676 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to arghx7 For This Useful Post:
andrew20195 (03-12-2014), Bristecom (04-17-2014), P@ul (10-16-2014), Sportsguy83 (03-22-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #65
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arghx7 View Post
So I tracked down the technical paper that is specific to this FA20 engine, and it clears up a few things (see end of post where I have attached it).
Super cool. I love technical articles like this. Did you find any others like this from your source like for the transmission or chassis?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:42 AM   #66
arghx7

no, I think the service manual is about the only source of information you're going to get about those, besides brochures and newsmedia.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #67
kelee

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by arghx7 View Post
So I tracked down the technical paper that is specific to this FA20 engine, and it clears up a few things (see end of post where I have attached it). For reference, see attached paper on the FA20.

Development of Horizontally Opposed
2.0-liter Natural Aspiration Gasoline Engine
for Subaru BRZ
Loved reading that paper. It mentions at the end summary that two high output engines were derived from the "FB20": the FA20 D4-S and the FA20 DIT.

What happened to the FA20 DIT and what exactly is it?
kelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #68
arghx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelee View Post
What happened to the FA20 DIT and what exactly is it?
That's the engine that's in the 2015 WRX.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #69
P@ul
Apostle

Drives: JesusMobile
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Dang, there's only 1 paragraph on the exhaust manifold...

Last edited by P@ul; 10-16-2014 at 03:20 PM.
P@ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:10 AM   #70
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I liked the explanation of the stratified and the homogeneous air fuel ratio layers:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66C4YIiwRbM[/ame]
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
sato (04-05-2019)