follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Subaru BRZ

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #29
uspspro

Drives: DGM BRZ, MR-S 3.5L V6 swap (sold)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
And apparently carry firewood! I really love the ER6n, saw a bunch of them in Europse a couple of weeks ago.
Thanks, yeah it's fun, easy to ride, but has enough power. It's a really good bike for her.

Her bike has a custom reshaped seat, hyperpro progressive lowering spring in the rear, Race Tech springs up front for her weight and forks raised in the triples. It actually handles better than stock, and she can put her feat on the ground!
uspspro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #30
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Name sounds familiar but I can't place him...?
East coast tire vendor.
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #31
sdiver68

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vividracing View Post
East coast tire vendor.
I was in the Mid-West region. I think Moose is familiar because I might have run across him in some crossover events such as at Daytona, Gingerman, Grattan, Putnam, Nashville, or Barber.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #32
vividracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
I'll take a pic later since it was ride to work day today. Last time I checked, I believe my rear was 35mm.

I was trying to see if other riders running Q2's had seen something similar. This is exactly what happened to my tire.

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...showtopic=3195

Overheating is something that you would visibly be able to see in a tire. the rubber gets so hot that it actually "Boils" and chucks of rubber will come off. This is seen ONLY at tracks known to have very high temperatures, like Daytona. If you overheated your tire (reguardless if it was a race tire or street tire), you would see chucks of rubber missing and the tire would be unusable.

Having said that; what you encountered was most likely YOU overriding the limits of that tire, not overheating. As a general rule, street tires are made NOT to overheat. A street tire will drop off in grip as it get to hot. Being hot and having less grip you cannot keep the same lap times, thus you will be going slower and producing less heat. So you will likely not ever overheat the tire on the sides (unless at tracks like Daytona). Its self correcting. But you can overheat a street tire in the center, by maintaining high speeds in a straight line. This would take many miles at +180MPH.

It sounds to me that you made a mistake in that corner, or its time to step up race tires.
Steve Brubaker
Dunlop/Race Tire Service Inc.
US National Distributor for Dunlop racing tires
Brubaker.... He jumped into the thread. Ha! He was going do the suspension role without even looking at the tire. Funny guy. Least I asked to see the tire!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #33
vividracing

Quote:
I was in the Mid-West region. I think Moose is familiar because I might have run across him in some crossover events such as at Daytona, Gingerman, Grattan, Putnam, Nashville, or Barber.
He is the big Pirelli race tire vendor for whole east side of the U.S. And does all the AMA/WSBK stuff.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #34
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Brubaker.... He jumped into the thread. Ha! He was going do the suspension role without even looking at the tire. Funny guy. Least I asked to see the tire!
It's funny how this thread became a moto thread. sdiver68, I hope you don't mind. :happy0180:

I was gonna email him along with Sportbiketrackgear the pics. I apologize for the dark and crappy pics.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #35
vividracing

I see some cold tearing. Do you know what the suspension setting was and tire pressure?
Rise pressure? You should see 1-2 psi front and 2-3 psi in back.

The 1st picture looks like a bubble. But without the the above info it would be hard to say.

Do you keep a log book? Or do you just ride?
Old 06-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #36
vividracing

Also what track? Hope its not willow springs.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #37
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I see some cold tearing. Do you know what the suspension setting was and tire pressure?
Rise pressure? You should see 1-2 psi front and 2-3 psi in back.

The 1st picture looks like a bubble. But without the the above info it would be hard to say.

Do you keep a log book? Or do you just ride?
Quote:
Also what track? Hope its not willow springs.
My suspension is all stock and in need of a rebuild after 5 yrs of riding. I had it set up @ Willow back in '09 and didn't log down the settings that Dave Moss made with the compression/rebound. I was running BT003 Type 3 and the bike was running well with decent tire wear given Willow's rough surface. I used to be low 1:30's, A group pace when I had my R6.

Fast forward to '12 with March 25 being my return back to Willow on the Duc but this time with Q2's. It was an overcast, cool track day and actually rained around 1pm so we had to call it day around 1pm. I was running 28F/29R and b/c of the crashes I only managed to get 2 sessions. This is where I noticed the tearing and @ Chuckwalla, it got worse with more chunks missing and blistering.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #38
vividracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
My suspension is all stock and in need of a rebuild after 5 yrs of riding. I had it set up @ Willow back in '09 and didn't log down the settings that Dave Moss made with the compression/rebound. I was running BT003 Type 3 and the bike was running well with decent tire wear given Willow's rough surface. I used to be low 1:30's, A group pace when I had my R6.

Fast forward to '12 with March 25 being my return back to Willow on the Duc but this time with Q2's. It was an overcast, cool track day and actually rained around 1pm so we had to call it day around 1pm. I was running 28F/29R and b/c of the crashes I only managed to get 2 sessions. This is where I noticed the tearing and @ Chuckwalla, it got worse with more chunks missing and blistering.
Dave is pretty good stuff.

Willow is a tire killer. We used to use Daytona tires there. I am sure if you clean up the rebound a bit you would end up with a much better wearing tire. I would go back over the bike set up though. Run a dual compound tire or see if you can get a Daytona tire next time.
Each tire has its own spring rate built into it. So suspension is critical. Tire pressures are next. Some of the Dunlops at one time ran 18-20 psi in the tires. Colder less air to bring in ore heat. Rain add air to build a better contact patch.

That build date was 4th week of 2011. Not month. Hell I could do on about tires, Even more about Ducati's.
Chucky.. Not been out there yet. and your lap time at Willow, You could almost keep up with my track car!

We should move this over to the motorcycle thread. Ha.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #39
sdiver68

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't mind at all, I love everything motorcycles.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote