follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-22-2020, 10:20 PM   #155
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I like the car the way it is and for what it is. My perspective is from owning and driving English cars from the 50s and 60. But, if I had to come up with what I would go for, I would say that across the board improvements on the car, but with a focus on the engine. I have a Subaru Ascent and I try to imagine what it would be like to have that engine in my BRZ. I read and hear a lot of speculation on what the next iteration of the BRZ/86 will be. I only hope it does not try to be something else like the Toyota Supra. I would be satisfied if the BRZ/86 now a 6 second car became a 5 second car. That's good enough; it is bad enough you young ones are driving like a bunch of hoons on the public streets and driving up my insurance on my BRZ. Have you seen the accident and fatality rates for this car? Geeeze! Take it to the track, please. Anyway, it looks like the 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo Toyota Supra is coming to the U.S. That now will make it a 5 second car. I read that it is better balanced and more enjoyable for driving on the street. So, with that thought in mind, do we take the existing FA-20 engine and add forced induction or drop in the FA-24 without a turbocharger and give it something like the D4-S fuel injection? My Ascent engine is essentially the same as my BRZ having the same stroke, but the bore increased. The FA-24 has a twin-scroll turbo, but uses direct injection only. How do we get more torque and an increase of 50 to 60 horsepower without adding too much weight and screwing up the low center of gravity? If I could wave a magic wand and transplant my Ascent engine into my BRZ, that would get it down to about 10 pounds per horsepower. You know, the Ascent is only about one second slower than my BRZ in a straight line, but it does weigh almost 1,800 pounds more. The only other change I would like to see is a more comfortable back seat for my 80 pound Lab. With the seat-back down and his dog bed, there is no headroom, so he prefers to sit in front. God knows you can't really put a human back there, so something comfy for the dog and then people can sit up front. All that being said, I do pretty much agree with an automotive reviewer that I respect who said, "If you can drive the BRZ to it's full potential and then honestly say it needs more horsepower, you need a different car." Now we are talking about a different price point. Can't afford that, you say? I was there once; going to college and delivering pizza at night to make ends meet. I drove nice sports cars, but they were all more than ten years old and well used. I was handy with wrenches and friends with the guy at the parts counter, so it was all good.
Flarpswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #156
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I hope it keeps them beautiful voluptuous curves.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (02-25-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #157
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I hope it keeps them beautiful voluptuous curves.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That's some nice curves on that body, so why did you pick a photo with some chick blocking the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (02-23-2020), PenGun (02-25-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 07:31 PM   #158
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
what car?
KR-S (02-23-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #159
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
There was a car???

I'll have another look, nope, still cannot see it...
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
KR-S (02-23-2020), soundman98 (02-24-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 09:33 PM   #160
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
what car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
There was a car???

I'll have another look, nope, still cannot see it...
Sorry dudes, I think I might be seeing things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 12:31 AM   #161
86MLR

What dog?
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
KR-S (02-25-2020), NoHaveMSG (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 11:46 AM   #162
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
I like the car the way it is and for what it is. My perspective is from owning and driving English cars from the 50s and 60. But, if I had to come up with what I would go for, I would say that across the board improvements on the car, but with a focus on the engine. I have a Subaru Ascent and I try to imagine what it would be like to have that engine in my BRZ. I read and hear a lot of speculation on what the next iteration of the BRZ/86 will be. I only hope it does not try to be something else like the Toyota Supra. I would be satisfied if the BRZ/86 now a 6 second car became a 5 second car. That's good enough; it is bad enough you young ones are driving like a bunch of hoons on the public streets and driving up my insurance on my BRZ. Have you seen the accident and fatality rates for this car? Geeeze! Take it to the track, please. Anyway, it looks like the 4 cylinder 2.0L turbo Toyota Supra is coming to the U.S. That now will make it a 5 second car. I read that it is better balanced and more enjoyable for driving on the street. So, with that thought in mind, do we take the existing FA-20 engine and add forced induction or drop in the FA-24 without a turbocharger and give it something like the D4-S fuel injection? My Ascent engine is essentially the same as my BRZ having the same stroke, but the bore increased. The FA-24 has a twin-scroll turbo, but uses direct injection only. How do we get more torque and an increase of 50 to 60 horsepower without adding too much weight and screwing up the low center of gravity? If I could wave a magic wand and transplant my Ascent engine into my BRZ, that would get it down to about 10 pounds per horsepower. You know, the Ascent is only about one second slower than my BRZ in a straight line, but it does weigh almost 1,800 pounds more. The only other change I would like to see is a more comfortable back seat for my 80 pound Lab. With the seat-back down and his dog bed, there is no headroom, so he prefers to sit in front. God knows you can't really put a human back there, so something comfy for the dog and then people can sit up front. All that being said, I do pretty much agree with an automotive reviewer that I respect who said, "If you can drive the BRZ to it's full potential and then honestly say it needs more horsepower, you need a different car." Now we are talking about a different price point. Can't afford that, you say? I was there once; going to college and delivering pizza at night to make ends meet. I drove nice sports cars, but they were all more than ten years old and well used. I was handy with wrenches and friends with the guy at the parts counter, so it was all good.
Anyone else just see WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS?

Sorry, dyslexia can be a bitch sometimes

Having read the post, I'm just going to say the 86 never needed more power, it needed linear power delivery and no damn torque dip. Hardtop Miata for tall people such as myself is what this car basically is. I hope they don't blow it too far outside of lightweight/power. I do not want to see this become a turbo.

Last edited by ROFL it's Waffle; 02-24-2020 at 12:23 PM.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #163
mrhayes1

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS white
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure the love for a boxer motor or an NA motor. The motor is this car is nothing special. Doesn't make power, no torque, doesn't even sound good. Literally the only good think about the motor is the low center of gravity and that is arguably not worth it. And this car desperately needs more power, I don't care how they have to do it; turbo or NA. IMO, it doesn't need a lot more, but another 50 hp and another 60 feet of tq would be great and I think it would make it feel like a different car. Makes me wonder how long people have owned the car for. I have had my car for about 5 years and I still love it, but the lack of power gets old the longer you own it. On a back road or canyons, the power is fine for the most part, but on a open road it just leaves you wanting...
mrhayes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #164
86MLR

The motor does OK for all the emmisions stuff they stick on the now days.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:41 PM   #165
Broseph

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post
Not sure the love for a boxer motor or an NA motor. The motor is this car is nothing special. Doesn't make power, no torque, doesn't even sound good. Literally the only good think about the motor is the low center of gravity and that is arguably not worth it. And this car desperately needs more power, I don't care how they have to do it; turbo or NA. IMO, it doesn't need a lot more, but another 50 hp and another 60 feet of tq would be great and I think it would make it feel like a different car. Makes me wonder how long people have owned the car for. I have had my car for about 5 years and I still love it, but the lack of power gets old the longer you own it. On a back road or canyons, the power is fine for the most part, but on a open road it just leaves you wanting...
Amen! Preach!
Broseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:54 AM   #166
Hot-Lava_Dave

Drives: 2016 Hot Lava MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhayes1 View Post
I would say that the fact that the FA20 makes 100hp per liter is quite good for a NA application. Compare to a Porsche 911 GTS that makes 113hp per liter and that is considered remarkable.
Hot-Lava_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:10 PM   #167
PenGun
Banned

Drives: Red 2019 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
Anyone else just see WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS?

Sorry, dyslexia can be a bitch sometimes

Having read the post, I'm just going to say the 86 never needed more power, it needed linear power delivery and no damn torque dip. Hardtop Miata for tall people such as myself is what this car basically is. I hope they don't blow it too far outside of lightweight/power. I do not want to see this become a turbo.
Thew torque dip does not matter at all. If you are using the car at all well, you will never see RPM that low.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PenGun For This Useful Post:
dowroa (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 12:17 PM   #168
dowroa
Old Guy

Drives: 16 STi, 22 MX-5 RF BBS, 04 OBS RPA
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun View Post
Thew torque dip does not matter at all. If you are using the car at all well, you will never see RPM that low.
hmm... respectfully disagree with proof of 100% stock BRZ PP and @justin 's STX prepped
and tuned 2017 BRZ on an uphill section.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5wh3ib0tdY?t=415[/ame]

Ah, to ensure I am contributing to the main point of the thread, I believe that small and light still need to be observed.

About 250hp at this weight and size is perfect.

If we expand the size, make it heavier or don't maintain the 6spd... those are all deal breakers for me and I will just look into doing something older.

Last edited by dowroa; 02-25-2020 at 02:03 PM.
dowroa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dowroa For This Useful Post:
Kiske (02-25-2020)