follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-21-2019, 09:24 AM   #3109
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When I ordered my tune from Delicious I indicated that I had a Dbox as well. The base tune I have for v25 indicates 93 octane but doesn't say anything about a Dbox.

I've removed the Dbox temporarily while I check continuity on all the wiring. Anyone know if tune actually gets adjusted for the Dbox or is the base tune the base tune regardless of whether or not you have one?
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #3110
CallmeDave

Drives: 13 BRZ, 07 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
When I ordered my tune from Delicious I indicated that I had a Dbox as well. The base tune I have for v25 indicates 93 octane but doesn't say anything about a Dbox.

I've removed the Dbox temporarily while I check continuity on all the wiring. Anyone know if tune actually gets adjusted for the Dbox or is the base tune the base tune regardless of whether or not you have one?
From my understanding the D-Box has nothing to do with the tune. It just evens out a signal from the sensor so the ECM can get the car to run smoother.

I read that you don’t have to change anything about the tune as you can add the D-Box anytime.

I’m waiting for my first revision after my install and havnt tried the D-Box yet. I’m hoping to see a difference before and after D-Box.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #3111
toast

Well shit.

For the last five months post SC install the car has been getting more annoying to drive. The last month was a new clutch install so part of it felt like me not having control over the stiffer pedal. Got real bad a couple weeks back but I managed to capture the issue in a log when the signal from the MAP when batshit. I disconnected the MAP and found a loose connection in the back of the plug; after reinstall things got much better (car was almost undriveable when cold) but there were still odd stumbles.

Removed the Dbox today. Night and day difference. Sounds better, smoother, when clutching in at a stop the rpms drop to 900 and stay there instead of dropping to 700 and recovering. Since I suspected the wiring to the MAP I ordered a replacement pigtail MAP connector to wire into my Dbox harness. See any difference?

The pins on the original connector are so stretched out you can barely see them. This must have caused constant intermittent contact with the MAP pins. I haven't put the Dbox back in the car yet but this really seems like a likely source of problems.

TLDR: if you do a fresh install I would install without the Dbox first to get a feel for everything and then add the Dbox. Any worse performance, check the connectors.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to toast For This Useful Post:
BertoFT (05-21-2019), BirdTRD (05-21-2019), CallmeDave (05-21-2019), HlfpriceWngs (05-21-2019), Mad1723 (04-23-2021), subielife (05-22-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 01:21 PM   #3112
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

The D-Box is a separate system that is not adjusted for in the tune. The main focus of it is too smooth out the the MAP sensor signal in the middle of the powerband and near redline.

The MAP sensor has a direct impact on the port injector duty cycle. So if the MAP sensor starts jumping up and down so will the port injector duty cycle. This can lead to slightly rough power delivery and cause slight misfires. This in turn leads to the timing being pulled by the ECU.

Hope that explains things a bit more,
William Knose
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
sroby (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #3113
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Well shit.

For the last five months post SC install the car has been getting more annoying to drive. The last month was a new clutch install so part of it felt like me not having control over the stiffer pedal. Got real bad a couple weeks back but I managed to capture the issue in a log when the signal from the MAP when batshit. I disconnected the MAP and found a loose connection in the back of the plug; after reinstall things got much better (car was almost undriveable when cold) but there were still odd stumbles.

Removed the Dbox today. Night and day difference. Sounds better, smoother, when clutching in at a stop the rpms drop to 900 and stay there instead of dropping to 700 and recovering. Since I suspected the wiring to the MAP I ordered a replacement pigtail MAP connector to wire into my Dbox harness. See any difference?

The pins on the original connector are so stretched out you can barely see them. This must have caused constant intermittent contact with the MAP pins. I haven't put the Dbox back in the car yet but this really seems like a likely source of problems.

TLDR: if you do a fresh install I would install without the Dbox first to get a feel for everything and then add the Dbox. Any worse performance, check the connectors.
We have quite a few of these kits out there and have not heard from anyone about this being an issue, so please let us know how it turns out.

There is a chance that some of the pins was defective and became loose. If you need us to replace the harness feel free to contact us about it, we can do that free of charge.

Regards,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
sroby (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #3114
toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousTuning View Post
We have quite a few of these kits out there and have not heard from anyone about this being an issue, so please let us know how it turns out.

There is a chance that some of the pins was defective and became loose. If you need us to replace the harness feel free to contact us about it, we can do that free of charge.

Regards,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
Everyone appears to be thrilled with them, I just seem to have terrible luck.

It wasn't a big deal to redo the end connector, thanks for the offer. I expect everything will be much better now. Zach was going kind of bananas when I would describe how poorly the car ran when cold, he was checking everything he could think of. I got the kit when it was cold, like in the 20s or 30s every day. I think once the underhood temps got up above 100 the pins and receivers expanded *just* enough to make better contact.

I'm really impressed with your tune, even running the base map, now that I don't have sensors freaking out.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #3115
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Everyone appears to be thrilled with them, I just seem to have terrible luck.

It wasn't a big deal to redo the end connector, thanks for the offer. I expect everything will be much better now. Zach was going kind of bananas when I would describe how poorly the car ran when cold, he was checking everything he could think of. I got the kit when it was cold, like in the 20s or 30s every day. I think once the underhood temps got up above 100 the pins and receivers expanded *just* enough to make better contact.

I'm really impressed with your tune, even running the base map, now that I don't have sensors freaking out.
Well if you need anything or still would like us to replace, do let us know. We want to make sure all our customers are taken care of.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
sroby (05-21-2019), subielife (05-22-2019), toast (05-21-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #3116
subielife
Subaru Ambassador

Drives: 13 BRZ 18 Silverado
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Well shit.

I am dealing with the same issue now. Car was perfect for first 4 track weekends then the idle issue started. Same symptoms that you describe. DT and my shop are handling it now.
subielife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #3117
toast

Below is what I finally managed to capture one day. Colors are indicated in the top left box.

Basically sitting at idle the MAP signal starts freaking out, dragging injector fuel volume with it until the A/F sensor gets down to 12:1 and puts the brakes on. This bouncing continues, with rpms going from 1000 down to 500 and back. Then I give it a couple heavy blips of throttle and pull off the road I'm on and suddenly it all stops.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:40 AM   #3118
subielife
Subaru Ambassador

Drives: 13 BRZ 18 Silverado
Yep. My MAP was "stuck" at .7.
subielife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #3119
CallmeDave

Drives: 13 BRZ, 07 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
When Zach was there I would get a new tune at least the next day after I sent a log, usually it was back to me the same day.

I wouldn't expect it to change now that Bill is back doing the tuning.
Well it’s been three days and I haven’t heard from them about my tune.
I wasn’t sure how long this would take so I figured I’d ask here. I’m sure there busy but a “hey we’re working on it email would be nice” I just hope it’s not something on my end holding up the process.

Having power after all these years and not being about to use it is frustrating lol
Old 05-24-2019, 01:41 PM   #3120
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeDave View Post
Well it’s been three days and I haven’t heard from them about my tune.
I wasn’t sure how long this would take so I figured I’d ask here. I’m sure there busy but a “hey we’re working on it email would be nice” I just hope it’s not something on my end holding up the process.

Having power after all these years and not being about to use it is frustrating lol
Hi Dave,

Sorry we have been slammed and we are going through tunes, all day yesterday and all day today. Probably will be working this weekend a little too to catch up before we get back on Tuesday.

Please give us a call so we can make sure you are taken care of before the weekend.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
BA9092 (05-24-2019), CallmeDave (05-28-2019), toast (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019, 01:46 PM   #3121
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Quote:
Below is what I finally managed to capture one day. Colors are indicated in the top left box.

Basically sitting at idle the MAP signal starts freaking out, dragging injector fuel volume with it until the A/F sensor gets down to 12:1 and puts the brakes on. This bouncing continues, with rpms going from 1000 down to 500 and back. Then I give it a couple heavy blips of throttle and pull off the road I'm on and suddenly it all stops.

We do have a lot of these kits out there, so I am wondering if a recent bunch of pins had a smaller tolerance than previously. Not positive but we are looking into it.

I have also been looking at a new option for connectors to resolve this issue.

In the mean time you can pull the pins out of the connector and to squeeze them together a small amount. This does help resolve the connection issue, because this helps mitigate the tolerance issue.

Cheers,
William Knose
Delicious Tuning
Old 05-24-2019, 10:31 PM   #3122
Cerbrian

Drives: 13' white out frs
Trying to replace the 3" pulley with the stock 3.25 but the Allen bolts are stripped. Anyone know how I can get these off?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Cerbrian is offline   Reply With Quote