follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep, Sarlacc

Old 05-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #1681
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Yeah that's a top-of-all-lines rig as far as I can tell. If you got the money, do it. If you want to save money, consider an unlocked I5, and a slightly lower spec mobo.

Also, idk if that case has a single drive bay piece you can remove or if they are more modular. If it's a single piece, you might be cutting it close with the graphics card and keeping the bay.
It allows you to convert to an open layout, which is what I was planning to do anyway. The only component I will need any kind of bay for is the one 3.5" HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
All I see is a lot of ways to bring the overall price down. Do you need the absolute best of the best?
I want to be able to run any game at our monitor's native resolution at full graphics settings. I don't like to compromise, lol.

I also do a lot of video editing, and some 3D modeling, so I wanted a faster CPU for rendering purposes, but I didn't do the i9 because I figured the i7 was plenty fast, but would run cooler.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
You can also find me on Instagram, and on Facebook.
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stang70Fastback For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-14-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 PM   #1682
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang70Fastback View Post
It allows you to convert to an open layout, which is what I was planning to do anyway. The only component I will need any kind of bay for is the one 3.5" HDD.

I want to be able to run any game at our monitor's native resolution at full graphics settings. I don't like to compromise, lol.

I also do a lot of video editing, and some 3D modeling, so I wanted a faster CPU for rendering purposes, but I didn't do the i9 because I figured the i7 was plenty fast, but would run cooler.
I was just saying that some cases have all or nothing on the drive bay removal which would leave nowhere for your HDD to go. If you can remove individual bays you are fine.

Seems like a sweet rig then. How many monitors of what resolution?
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #1683
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I was just saying that some cases have all or nothing on the drive bay removal which would leave nowhere for your HDD to go. If you can remove individual bays you are fine.

Seems like a sweet rig then. How many monitors of what resolution?
Ahh, touche. Well I like the open layout, so I plan to just find a way to mount the 3.5 somewhere. Alternatively, maybe I should consider a 2.5" HDD since I believe there are mounts for that on the backside of the case. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for getting the gears turning.

It's just one monitor... but it's a 38" 21:9 curved monitor with a 3840x1600 resolution, lol. I decided one giant monitor would simplify things, make for a cleaner desk setup, and eliminate the black bars that I can't stand, lol.

Check out my blog, read all about my BRZ adventures, and oogle my sweet cell-phone photos!
Old 05-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #1684
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Ahh, touche. Well I like the open layout, so I plan to just find a way to mount the 3.5 somewhere. Alternatively, maybe I should consider a 2.5" HDD since I believe there are mounts for that on the backside of the case. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for getting the gears turning.

It's just one monitor... but it's a 38" 21:9 curved monitor with a 3840x1600 resolution, lol. I decided one giant monitor would simplify things, make for a cleaner desk setup, and eliminate the black bars that I can't stand, lol.
Np. Newer cases do have a small attachment point for a 2.5 in the back, and we used that for a thin SSD on my wife's rig, but I remember having difficulty with the data plug for some reason.

Lol those things are wide AF.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #1685
00NissanNinja
The Thread Lurker

Drives: '14 BRZ, '17 GTI, MT09
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone wanna give me feedback on this build? I took an 8-year-long break from building PCs, but am finally building a gaming rig for our place. I'm fairly confident that everything will fit together properly, but always looking for feedback since it's been so long, lol.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BjRQr6

I'd probably look for a different motherboard if you are going to mess around with overclocking, gigabytes bios sucks, I have a gigabyte z390 aurous pro. Not saying you can't but its more hand wavey than other boards I've used. Asus has much better bios. Gigabyte does have quality components on the board which is why I got one anyways. Other than that solid high tier build. I'd actually check out the define s2 its like the r6 but a bit more flexible.
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:00 AM   #1686
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
I've played Rage 2 for a couple of hours and already I'm looking forward to the next game to buy. I'm finding Rage 2 to be uninspiring, it seems like a generic hodgepodge of other games I have played. It is not bad, just ordinary. *sigh* I don't even know when the next game I'm interested in gets released (and there aren't that many).

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #1687
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

With only a measly 16GB or RAM

At least double that.

Also depending on which programs your using, your gonna miss hyper threading.

Please watch for reference...
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:55 PM   #1688
Spuds
The Dictater

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post

At least double that.

Also depending on which programs your using, your gonna miss hyper threading.

Please watch for reference...
i7s have hyperthreading
Old 05-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #1689
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Not that one, lovely Intel marketeers huh?
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-15-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #1690
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

Seems like some odd compromises in your build, then. Not quite enough RAM for those productivity tasks, and a Radeon VII would probably suit you a bit better if it's going to be a "do it all" system.

Also, max settings for screenshots, high settings for game play
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #1691
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00NissanNinja View Post
I'd probably look for a different motherboard if you are going to mess around with overclocking, gigabytes bios sucks, I have a gigabyte z390 aurous pro. Not saying you can't but its more hand wavey than other boards I've used. Asus has much better bios. Gigabyte does have quality components on the board which is why I got one anyways. Other than that solid high tier build. I'd actually check out the define s2 its like the r6 but a bit more flexible.
I'm not planning to bother with overclocking. I generally like to build a machine that does what I want "stock," and then if that does wind up not being enough down the road, I just upgrade to newer components. Lazier, more expensive approach, but it works for me :P

I actually did wind up switching to the S2 case in the build, once I looked at more comparisons between the two. Thanks for that recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post

At least double that.
Good thing is I can easily double the RAM at any point afterward, so I'm leaving it off for now as a means to "keep the costs down." (I wound up switching to CAS-14 RAM, rather than CAS-16 RAM, which means 16 GB is still a healthy $250). It should be plenty sufficient for my use case. I'm not talking about complex 3D modeling, or manipulating hours for 4K video. We're taking basic 3D designs for my 3D printer, and maybe editing some GoPro footage from my local autocross events.

The girlfriend had given me a cap of $3000 for the build since she is paying for half. She's well-aware of my mantra of "no compromises" and wanting to buy top-tier stuff, so she's happy to go up to that amount, so for the sake of making it look like I'm being "financially responsible" I'm trying to keep the initial build within that limit, lol.

Quote:
Seems like some odd compromises in your build... Radeon VII would probably suit you a bit better if it's going to be a "do it all" system.

Also, max settings for screenshots, high settings for game play
The Radeon would be a huge compromise for gaming performance, though! It's primarily going to be a gaming rig, and a "gaming" card should be more than capable of handling the kind of other tasks I'll be doing.

I want max settings for gameplay too! I'm a graphics addict :P

Old 05-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #1692
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Good thing you came looking for suggestions and then had reasons to not take anyone's advice into considerstion

Guess you just needed somewhere to flex your 3k build.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Allch Chcar (06-10-2019), Clipdat (05-17-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #1693
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Quote:
Good thing you came looking for suggestions and then had reasons to not take anyone's advice into considerstion

Guess you just needed somewhere to flex your 3k build.
Am I required to accept every person's recommendations? I looked up the GPU you recommended, buy research shows it can't hold a candle to the 2080 TI at higher resolutions and graphics settings. Don't be a ****. I don't disagree that it could use more RAM. I straight-up said I would add more down the line. It isn't necessary up front, though, unlike other core components that can't be easily upgraded.

Sounds more like you're pissed that I didn't make all the changes you wanted me to make. For the record, I mostly wanted to ensure there wasn't some obvious compatibility issue I was overlooking that PCPartPicker had missed, since I've never used that site before. I even changed cases based on an earlier recommendation in this thread, though. Sorry I offended you by not making the changes YOU wanted!

Old 05-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #1694
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Am I required to accept every person's recommendations? I looked up the GPU you recommended, buy research shows it can't hold a candle to the 2080 TI at higher resolutions and graphics settings. Don't be a ****. I don't disagree that it could use more RAM. I straight-up said I would add more down the line. It isn't necessary up front, though, unlike other core components that can't be easily upgraded.

Sounds more like you're pissed that I didn't make all the changes you wanted me to make. For the record, I mostly wanted to ensure there wasn't some obvious compatibility issue I was overlooking that PCPartPicker had missed, since I've never used that site before. I even changed cases based on an earlier recommendation in this thread, though. Sorry I offended you by not making the changes YOU wanted!
Solid build, seems like you really only got two suggestion and had legit reasoning for not taking them... some people must go to the beach a lot and get sand in places...

My only two suggestions would be a faster clocked ram your mobo can handle 4000 or 4133. and if you have the space in your house i would recommend a full tower, easier time dealing with fans, heat management, cable management, not have to worry about GPU fitment, maybe down the line you end of going SLI and will have more space etc... for an all out build id do full tower.

otherwise that build can handle whatever you throw at it, could use more ram, but i know you already addressed reason for that.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86TOYO2k17 For This Useful Post:
Stang70Fastback (05-17-2019)

Tags
pc master race, u no have 3080