follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #15
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
He could be saying for that stance bro look you ignore actual alignment specs and set your wheels flush to your fenders.

That's a not an alignment, it's hard parking. But to each their own.

Or maybe you're planning on running a fairly aggressive wheel spec, minimum camber would be dictated by fender clearance. You may be forced to run -2.5* instead of the -1.8* you would like.

But then the heads will scratch you're shiny new wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
Ray, when your running sizes like that you are right, you can just get a standard alignment.

I think Maslin gets what I'm trying to say here. Maybe dude is running a 18x9.5 +22(just an example), there is many setups for looks/function here. Your way of life is not someone else's way of life. At some point wheel/tire/fender engagement comes into question and you may have to compensate for it, its just a matter if his setup requires it.

If your running a more aggressive setup you may want to add a bit more camber so your tire and/or wheel will clear and not rub the fender. I mean its your choice in the end, run -1.5* and have your tire rub or run -2.3* and have it clear, its your choice.

If he has something that is not too aggressive he will be fine with whatever wheel for the alignment. On the other hand if his final wheel is on the aggressive side its a good idea to show up with that wheel. Maybe its just me but I would show up with my final wheel to the alignment just to be safe.
Jesus christ. OP didn't come in here asking for "will this fit" or "stance yay or nay". Either way I don't really care. I made an assumption we were talking about basic alignment. He was clearly worried about settling springs throwing his basic suspension geometry off, not about whether he'd start rubbing again.

Yes for inner/outer wheel well and fender clearance, that would probably be need to be sorted before/during an alignment. But over all toe/camber/caster is not effected by wheel width or offset.

Go live your life in peace stance people, I for one could care less as long as you're happy and no ones getting hurt.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #16
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
Jesus christ. OP didn't come in here asking for "will this fit" or "stance yay or nay". Either way I don't really care. I made an assumption we were talking about basic alignment. He was clearly worried about settling springs throwing his basic suspension geometry off, not about whether he'd start rubbing again.

Yes for inner/outer wheel well and fender clearance, that would probably be need to be sorted before/during an alignment. But over all toe/camber/caster is not effected by wheel width or offset.

Go live your life in peace stance people, I for one could care less as long as you're happy and no ones getting hurt.
But the OP DID say he was getting wheels.
And since he didn't say what size he was getting they were being helpful by mentioning that putting them on before alignment would definetly be a good idea.

For someone who "don't really care", you sure seem to be getting worked up over this.

And yes, while the OP didn't ask about rubbing, that fact that he is changing wheels makes it a good point to bring up considering the plethora of people who don't even consider that problem.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #17
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
And since he didn't say what size he was getting they were being helpful by mentioning that putting them on before alignment would definetly be a good idea.

For someone who "don't really care", you sure seem to be getting worked up over this.

And yes, while the OP didn't ask about rubbing, that fact that he is changing wheels makes it a good point to bring up considering the plethora of people who don't even consider that problem.
Bingo. Pay $150 for an alignment with factory wheels, set the camber and toe where you want it, or factory spec the shop will push for. Drive the car home, swap your sweet new wheels on... tire juuust rubs.

Take it back, pay for another $150 alignment with the new wheels and be $150 poorer.

A Mercedes alignment with factory wheels is a superior alignment, we have special heads that install through the wheels and do not require compensation. Even with a rolling comp you can have some variance. We often have goofy rear camber/toe readings on vans with solid rear axles.

Not an issue on Toyota/Subaru, you'll have clamp on heads no matter what.

I'm grateful to have a very expensive alignment system at my disposal. Makes tweaking and modifying that much easier.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:53 PM   #18
RayRay88

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post

This was in response to the two people who decided to jump down my throat about letting stance/hardparkers live their lives. It seems like everyone just assumes people hate on that particular area of car modifying and automatically has their backs up against the wall when someone points something out.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:46 PM   #19
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
This was in response to the two people who decided to jump down my throat about letting stance/hardparkers live their lives. It seems like everyone just assumes people hate on that particular area of car modifying and automatically has their backs up against the wall when someone points something out.
We certainly did not jump down anyone's throat here, it was a simple response in the conversation. Just expanding on what I had previously said. I even agreed with you and said you were right in that circumstance. I figure that is what a conversation is, a little info back and forth. Yes it may have differing opinions and info but that is where the details matter so you can see what the other is talking about. I guess that is just the new way of thinking, have a little bit of a differing view point and the person thinks your attacking them.

I said nothing about this "stance/hardparker" fitment you speak of. You just automatically assume, "ohh, its not standard this dude is all about the tilty wheels." I stated specs that are well known and accepted throughout the industry; circuit cars, auto cross, HPDE among others mostly run camber in the -2*ish. There is something about those cars that say they would want the most functionality they can get.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:25 PM   #20
RayRay88

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRyderx2 View Post
We certainly did not jump down anyone's throat here, it was a simple response in the conversation. Just expanding on what I had previously said. I even agreed with you and said you were right in that circumstance. I figure that is what a conversation is, a little info back and forth. Yes it may have differing opinions and info but that is where the details matter so you can see what the other is talking about. I guess that is just the new way of thinking, have a little bit of a differing view point and the person thinks your attacking them.

I said nothing about this "stance/hardparker" fitment you speak of. You just automatically assume, "ohh, its not standard this dude is all about the tilty wheels." I stated specs that are well known and accepted throughout the industry; circuit cars, auto cross, HPDE among others mostly run camber in the -2*ish. There is something about those cars that say they would want the most functionality they can get.
The stance comment was more directed at maslin. I don’t think there’s anything to discuss. We had a misunderstanding. We both agree on the same points.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:38 PM   #21
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
The stance comment was more directed at maslin. I don’t think there’s anything to discuss. We had a misunderstanding. We both agree on the same points.
I wasn’t throwing shade at anyone, I respect any direction people take their cars.

I was pointing out differences in alignments between varied expectations. If -3* left and -2.6* right front camber gets you “flush” and that’s the look you’re going for, by all means run it.

Generally, an alignment gives adjustments to a determined spec. For some people that isn’t the desired result. I have absolutely no problem with that.

I try to help out on these alignment threads, I do a handful of them a week, and have been for 15 years. Alignments are one of those mystery things that a lot of techs are even afraid of.

When I got in to cars you were called a hardparker if you didn’t drift on the way to work and run over your “aero” on a regular basis. I don’t mean it in any disparaging way.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote