follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #43
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I saw the tits and I clicked. Yet I see nothing! =/ I demend pics.

If someone can find a good babyed used c6 cheap why not? That's the advantage of living in NA. + loads of domestic parts/supply. Its obvious when u live in the land of Murica.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:53 PM   #44
poptart

Drives: 2000 Corvette
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Test drive them both. Then you'll know.

I test drove a new BRZ and FRS. I needed a reliable daily driver, knew it had to be a sportscar, and seriously considering buying a new/used BRZ/FRS. I liked everything I read about them. The test drives went well. Super fun to drive. The seats were really supportive but I felt just a little cramped in them. I knew going in they didn't have a ton of power but I could still see myself buying one and eventually going forced induction.

However 25k for a new twin was a little more than I could chew. I wasn't financing it. So I began looking at used ones. But once I opened myself up to the possibility of a used car, I started thinking about a C5 or possibly C6 corvette. I had read tons of stuff on the internet about their great bang per buck. From the first test drive, I knew I needed one. Looked at several and decided on a cream puff C5 coupe. A 2 owner Z51 6 speed with low miles.

The torque and power from that LS-1 is so nice. I can blast off from red lights rapidly accelerating to the speed limit, you don't have to be going 100mph to enjoy the V-8. It doesn't quite have the steering feedback of a BRZ, but it still handles great and sticks to the road like glue. It feels like a race car chassis with obviously high limits. I've never come close to pushing it yet. When you're going fast in a turn, it stays so calm and planted.

Of course this is not an apples to apples comparison. An older used car vs an almost "like new" FRS. They just happen to cost the same. But for the same price, (mid teens) I feel like I got a ton more car for the money. Actually only about 450 lbs. :P

Insurance is pretty reasonable. It's cheaper for me than a BRZ. I assume each car's typical owner demographic and claims rates come into play. I've read the avg new vette buyer is in their 50's vs 30's for the BRZ/FRS. The city mileage is not good, averaging 17mpg, but it's so fun to drive I don't care. It's a different class of sportscar compared to a BRZ. Depends on what you want. Based on my experience with the C5, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used C6 either.

Last edited by poptart; 05-21-2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: add more thoughts
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 AM   #45
Higher Being

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Grey FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodenglaive View Post
It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. If you've never tracked before, a vette is not the best place to start.
Not that you can't do it, it's just got a steeper learning curve and the consequences are worse if you screw up.
This.

Not to sound corny but the FRS is great platform to learn good driving technique. Our cars are pretty slow with lots of great driving dynamics, and definitely help someone ( like my self) learn alot about how rwd cars react at speed or any situation that might come up while driving.

The vette is a bigger, faster and less precise car that will be more suited to a seasoned driver at speed. Of course in Houston traffic you wont ever be going faster than 50-60 mph anyway haha so really get what ever floats your boat!

like everyone else said you should research a good used one, drive it and then compare it to a test drive in a frs/brz. Cant go wrong really.

Maybe a different muscle car would be better middle ground?
Higher Being is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Higher Being For This Useful Post:
CatDaddysBBQ (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 03:08 AM   #46
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Why not an E46 M3 ?? thats what i would get if i needed 1 car for 25k.

Is it as fast as the vette... no way. But it feels 10x better pushing it hard in my opinion. the steering, clutch, shifter, brake feel, seats were all better. 333hp, 8000rpm redline, and i had my stock one to 167mph. Its plenty fast and handles great.

Past: 458 Italia, R35 GTR, E36/E46/F80 M3, 335i, Scion FRS
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:35 AM   #47
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humdizzle View Post
Why not an E46 M3 ?? thats what i would get if i needed 1 car for 25k.

Is it as fast as the vette... no way. But it feels 10x better pushing it hard in my opinion. the steering, clutch, shifter, brake feel, seats were all better. 333hp, 8000rpm redline, and i had my stock one to 167mph. Its plenty fast and handles great.
I was gonna buy one, then I read that the valves needed manual adjustment, then I read that the frame is weak and should be reinforced, then I read that it has a clutched cooling fan. At that point I realized that while the engine in that car sounds great, it's got dinosaur written all over it, and with all the German car problem rumors I would be scared to drive it.

If I ever get a German car it would either be a new M-(whatever the coupe is called in the future) on lease, or a Porsche.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:58 AM   #48
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I got a chance to run with some Vette Z06 owners at the track, and many of them prefer the C5 over the C6 when pushing the car hard. According to those who have owned both, the C5 is less twitchy and a bit more communicative at the limit.

Also everyone bashes the interior, but I sat in a C5Z and could definitely live with it. The only part I disliked were the seats (not as good as the Twins), but apparently you can secure yourself pretty well using a trick with the seatbelts.

They also sound great and handle well. I would consider replacing my FR-S with a C5Z if the time came.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:39 AM   #49
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I got a chance to run with some Vette Z06 owners at the track, and many of them prefer the C5 over the C6 when pushing the car hard. According to those who have owned both, the C5 is less twitchy and a bit more communicative at the limit.

Also everyone bashes the interior, but I sat in a C5Z and could definitely live with it. The only part I disliked were the seats (not as good as the Twins), but apparently you can secure yourself pretty well using a trick with the seatbelts.

They also sound great and handle well. I would consider replacing my FR-S with a C5Z if the time came.

Agreed, if you like the corvette feel, are ok with the corvette build (swishy plastic panels, not the greatest interior, matters to some), the c5 z06 is a huge bargain these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #50
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Being View Post
This.

Not to sound corny but the FRS is great platform to learn good driving technique. Our cars are pretty slow with lots of great driving dynamics, and definitely help someone ( like my self) learn alot about how rwd cars react at speed or any situation that might come up while driving.

The vette is a bigger, faster and less precise car that will be more suited to a seasoned driver at speed. Of course in Houston traffic you wont ever be going faster than 50-60 mph anyway haha so really get what ever floats your boat!

like everyone else said you should research a good used one, drive it and then compare it to a test drive in a frs/brz. Cant go wrong really.

Maybe a different muscle car would be better middle ground?
I agree with this 100%. I think the corvette is a huge mistake for a first rwd performance car. You'll likely end up destroying it (and yourself) in the first year, or always be too scared of it to push it hard.

If your primary concern is freeway blasting/stoplight ****-swinging, than by all means go for it. But something lower powered to learn on for a year or two (or more).

I was looking into buying a 996 911 but since it was my first rwd car (let alone rear engine), I decided it'd be a bad idea. I wanted to have something I could learn on, play with oversteer, and just **** around a bit without ruining something that is expensive to fix...

So my FR-S has been perfect. it's an amazingly responsive and communicative platform to learn on, and I now have very little anxiety of what comes next - I feel like anything will be ok, and i'm ready for whatever the next car may be.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #51
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Just traded my twin for a C7, absolutely no regrets.

Pro's and cons to each approach.

Regardless of which car you get INVEST IN TRACK TIME FOR EITHER. Despite what some say on here if you invest in learning how to drive either car properly you will be fine in the Vette.

Pros for the Vette:
  • You wont take the depreciation hit on a new car
  • Torque and power everywhere - FR-S feels like a kiddie car in comparison

Cons for the Vette:
  • Higher costs for daily driving and maintenance - more expensive for oil, tires, gas, etc...
  • Potentially more insurance - I say potentially because depending on age, record, area it might not be that bad. I obtained full coverage with $500 deductables for my C7 for only $530 on a 6 month policy.

You get a lot of people telling you that the Vette is no fun to drive around town because its so powerful. The good ole "its fun driving a slow car fast not a fast car slow".
In reality you should not be driving a FR-S at its limits around town either as you are likely breaking the law.
Plus the Vette is plenty fun driving around town, its just a different kind of fun than the FR-S.

The real place to drive either car spiritedly is the track.
Both cars are going to be fun at the track.
The FR-S is going to be cheaper and tons of fun to drive but cap out on performance much sooner than the Vette.

In my area FR-S resale values suck balls.
No one wants them and dealers are having a tough time moving inventory used or new.

If the used Vette was in excellent condition and insurance did not break the bank I'd get the Vette and save myself the depreciation hit.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (05-26-2015), Dadhawk (05-29-2015), strat61caster (05-21-2015), Tcoat (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 10:56 AM   #52
klearfade

Drives: Scion FRS
Terrible streets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong6 View Post
As someone mentioned before, I do live in Texas, the Houston area more specifically, meaning I have quite a bit of long, straight stretches of road (more of those than proper driving roads, sadly) so I will have decent room to stretch her legs (within legal limits )

I know what you mean, my dad had a C5 for a while, I drove it a few times and it felt much larger than it really was sometimes, it was an odd feeling. My buddy's srt challenger has the same problem... Except it really is big!
I feel sorry for your suspension and ground clearance my friend!!! lol I lived in Houston for 4 years, and my poor bumper on my low is300 fell off a good 5 times!

Also the Beltway 8 at 2am is a perfect time to stretch those legs hahaha

Last edited by klearfade; 05-21-2015 at 10:56 AM. Reason: beltway
klearfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #53
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I came from a 2011 Mustang GT. Same chassis as your current car, but add 100hp. IMO more HP does not necessarily equal more fun. A corvette is a better starting place than a mustang chassis wise, but you will still run into the issue that it will cost more at the track than an FR-S and anytime you want to attempt to have fun on the streets you will be at or near felony level speed.

For me, the FR-S is great. I think the car looks awesome, the handling is a delight and I know I won't be going to jail if a cop sees me stepping on the gas.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:20 PM   #54
poptart

Drives: 2000 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
The C5Z only comes with base seats. (To save weight I guess) The optional 6 way power sport seats available on the coupe and vert are more comfortable with inflatable bladders and such. Although they still don't provide the kind of lateral support you need to track the car. The BRZ seats are impressive. They feel like recaros or something. But they were just a little tight in the shoulders for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
and I know I won't be going to jail if a cop sees me stepping on the gas.
That's what mirrors and radar detectors are for.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #55
GotBRZ1691

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6smt
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Just traded my twin for a C7, absolutely no regrets.

Pro's and cons to each approach.

Regardless of which car you get INVEST IN TRACK TIME FOR EITHER. Despite what some say on here if you invest in learning how to drive either car properly you will be fine in the Vette.

Pros for the Vette:
  • You wont take the depreciation hit on a new car
  • Torque and power everywhere - FR-S feels like a kiddie car in comparison

Cons for the Vette:
  • Higher costs for daily driving and maintenance - more expensive for oil, tires, gas, etc...
  • Potentially more insurance - I say potentially because depending on age, record, area it might not be that bad. I obtained full coverage with $500 deductables for my C7 for only $530 on a 6 month policy.

You get a lot of people telling you that the Vette is no fun to drive around town because its so powerful. The good ole "its fun driving a slow car fast not a fast car slow".
In reality you should not be driving a FR-S at its limits around town either as you are likely breaking the law.
Plus the Vette is plenty fun driving around town, its just a different kind of fun than the FR-S.

The real place to drive either car spiritedly is the track.
Both cars are going to be fun at the track.
The FR-S is going to be cheaper and tons of fun to drive but cap out on performance much sooner than the Vette.

In my area FR-S resale values suck balls.
No one wants them and dealers are having a tough time moving inventory used or new.

If the used Vette was in excellent condition and insurance did not break the bank I'd get the Vette and save myself the depreciation hit.
I cant imagine what insurance would cost an under 25 male.... I am 26 (20-25 years old are considered the most dangerous, thus insurance cost more) and i pay over 160 a month to drive a BRZ.... but my record isnt squeeky clean
GotBRZ1691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 02:58 AM   #56
humdizzle

Drives: 2018 GT3 / 2015 M3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
i dont think vettes and resale value ever go hand in hand. even c6 zr1's are dirt cheap now compared to their original msrp.

Past: 458 Italia, R35 GTR, E36/E46/F80 M3, 335i, Scion FRS
humdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote