follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #407
celek
Resident Gear Head

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricke View Post
Have been following your thread and just have a suggestion
Why not buy some secondhand BMW M throttle body's from s38 or the s50 or S54 thes throttle body's are very common too use in Europe for custom builds.
Do they can be handed for as little as 100$
Djust a thought.
Not a bad Idea but obtaining a matching result for velocity and cylinder filling with a specific design can yield better results. I am sure BMW did the same math with a 3.2+ liter engine.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:13 AM   #408
Tim Radley

Drives: GT86, SQ5, RS3
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celek View Post
Not a bad Idea but obtaining a matching result for velocity and cylinder filling with a specific design can yield better results. I am sure BMW did the same math with a 3.2+ liter engine.
Plus you need to match the port shape and getting the spacing right on drive by wire throttles won't be easy. The stock ecu needs to see a stock drive by wire throttle body. Aftermarket ecu you could go to a cable throttle and find itb's more easily but if doing that then why not fit carbs and a distributor lol
Old 01-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #409
celek
Resident Gear Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Radley View Post
Plus you need to match the port shape and getting the spacing right on drive by wire throttles won't be easy. The stock ecu needs to see a stock drive by wire throttle body. Aftermarket ecu you could go to a cable throttle and find itb's more easily but if doing that then why not fit carbs and a distributor lol
Not looking forward to a $5k+USD Motec so I would rather struggle with Stock ECU
Old 01-27-2016, 03:57 AM   #410
Tim Radley

Quote:
Not looking forward to a $5k+USD Motec so I would rather struggle with Stock ECU
So what is your plan to control all 4 then? Drive by wire is complex to mess with and will crap itself very easily. I considered using the stock body motor with two arms going to each side controlling butterflies but then realised bringing that to stock ecu people represented a big problem so its not a production item. So now i'll just build something that works the way I want and Motec can take care of that.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #411
celek
Resident Gear Head

Garage
Quote:
So what is your plan to control all 4 then? Drive by wire is complex to mess with and will crap itself very easily. I considered using the stock body motor with two arms going to each side controlling butterflies but then realised bringing that to stock ecu people represented a big problem so its not a production item. So now i'll just build something that works the way I want and Motec can take care of that.
2 possibilities you mentioned 1 with linkage rods going both ways.

The other option is a custom made electronic controller with either 2 or 4 motors that can be balanced. Using OE ECU signal in and 2-4 outs which can be tuned and balanced.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #412
Tim Radley

Quote:
2 possibilities you mentioned 1 with linkage rods going both ways.

The other option is a custom made electronic controller with either 2 or 4 motors that can be balanced. Using OE ECU signal in and 2-4 outs which can be tuned and balanced.
Could the stock ecu integrate with such a controller seeing as its doing the entire input, control and feedback? Two pairs of position sensors and a motor driver which is high current. If you can crack that then I think it would be a saleable product. Just not sure what Ecutek allows you to do with throttle inputs as I've never used it. Anyone chime in with a screen grab or information on this?
Old 01-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #413
200hp/tonne

Drives: Raven Fr-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The electronic controller will be much more difficult than anticipated, mostly in order to prevent CELs for throttle body motor current being too low or too high. Same for both the plate position sensors, especially if you try to send voltages from left and right side to the stock ecu. You could make something with power resistors and DACs attached to you controller though...

200hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #414
celek
Resident Gear Head

Garage
Quote:
Could the stock ecu integrate with such a controller seeing as its doing the entire input, control and feedback? Two pairs of position sensors and a motor driver which is high current. If you can crack that then I think it would be a saleable product. Just not sure what Ecutek allows you to do with throttle inputs as I've never used it. Anyone chime in with a screen grab or information on this?
Theoretically the Box does the work and acts as a single motor and directs multiple motors to function based off an input signal. Its only signal in and out, I keep bugging my Electrical engineer buddy to help and he is throwing fancy terms at me like PIC controller and FETs
I know what they are and how to function the problem is putting them in a box and making them work.

All you need to do is convert voltage IN and modify each output to sync the individual motors.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #415
mcbrawr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Theoretically the Box does the work and acts as a single motor and directs multiple motors to function based off an input signal. Its only signal in and out, I keep bugging my Electrical engineer buddy to help and he is throwing fancy terms at me like PIC controller and FETs
I know what they are and how to function the problem is putting them in a box and making them work.

All you need to do is convert voltage IN and modify each output to sync the individual motors.
Honestly if that is what you're trying to do, why not pick up an Arduino and handle it on the cheap? Get a motor shield / a motor controller IC for the arduino to talk to and you SHOULD be set if I'm reading your requirements correctly.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:39 PM   #416
celek
Resident Gear Head

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrawr View Post
Honestly if that is what you're trying to do, why not pick up an Arduino and handle it on the cheap? Get a motor shield / a motor controller IC for the arduino to talk to and you SHOULD be set if I'm reading your requirements correctly.
I have thought about it but unsure of the amperage capability
Old 02-01-2016, 03:10 PM   #417
celek
Resident Gear Head

Garage
Sent in another (4th) email to Piper, I am afraid somehow it is ending up in Spam Unfortunately they are like a +6 hour time difference so calling them means I have to do it before my morning coffee kicks in. I may have to resort to that.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #418
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Sent in another (4th) email to Piper, I am afraid somehow it is ending up in Spam Unfortunately they are like a +6 hour time difference so calling them means I have to do it before my morning coffee kicks in. I may have to resort to that.
Have your morning coffee earlier! Problem solved.

YOU can do it!
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:36 AM   #419
Tim Radley

Quote:
What do you need to know? I spoke to the boss yesterday. Message me here or on facebook.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:22 AM   #420
Gear_One_Performance

Drives: 2014 BRZ SCCA STU endurance car
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have thought about it but unsure of the amperage capability
There are a few relatively high amp arduino shields out there for stepper motors that should do what you need.
Gear_One_Performance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.3ltr, all motor, helpful, hks, hks stroker, informative, na brz