follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2012, 08:59 PM   #29
Tigranakert

Drives: Hot Lava FRS 2013
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
Do you own your own home?
That's got to be a rhetorical question.

But in the context of randomness you asked, I guess I therefore don't know where my home is. Please explain.
Tigranakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #30
Nezz
86DESU

Drives: 86 GTS, S13, CB9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
I'm just learning all this stuff about cars, and was wondering this same thing... and began to think 'it's got a good chassis' is short hand for the way the chassis was designed to achieve a low center of gravity/good balance...?
Sort of. The fact it remains neutral through so much of its action is a great thing, the 86 is just a really nicely settled car, and it doesn't come unstuck without warning you first, even on stock springs.

Quote:
Can't say you loved that house...
houses and cars are just a little different-- It's a bit hard to make an Eclipse into what you can do with this thing. With its neutral 'normal' balance and its easy modification-- It's already FR and it's already light, those are two things that are missing from most of its competitors.

Add in the fact that it has an extraordinarily low CG before any work to move it down further and it already has a good, rigid monocoque with high technology steelwork-- those are things missing from its competitors, too. It's a perfect blank canvas. that's why I bought mine.
Nezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #31
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigranakert View Post
That's got to be a rhetorical question.

But in the context of randomness you asked, I guess I therefore don't know where my home is. Please explain.
I already regret posting in this thread. Cars are like homes. People want to make them their own. No one is completely rebuilding these cars, much like people aren't leveling their home because they want granite counter tops. And just because someone wants new counter tops, doesn't mean they weren't satisfied with the counter tops when they first bought the house.

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:
mike2100 (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 AM   #32
Tigranakert

Drives: Hot Lava FRS 2013
Well I'm sorry you still don't understand my point of view...

How could you be satisfied with something and change it when it's brand new...
Again improving and changing are totally different.

adding stuff to the engine or car is improving.
Changing the engine would not be, etc.

I rest my case. I'm done.
Tigranakert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 AM   #33
midnightfrolic

Drives: Scion FRS A/T raven
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
If anyone finds anyone cheap ways to 'unleash potential', I'm all ears. I'm talking about a paperclip, duct tape, and some toilet paper or paper towel tubings. McGuyver it.

Not sure about everyone else, but the more I drive it, the more I love it! It's stock. My first sports car
midnightfrolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 AM   #34
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Now that's the adventurous spirit! Take what you've been given and like it!!!

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:
JTM (10-23-2012), Nezz (10-23-2012), Tigranakert (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #35
Nezz
86DESU

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
Now that's the adventurous spirit! Take what you've been given and like it!!!
We all know that was Isambard Kingdom Brunel's attitude!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #36
Nezz
86DESU

Quote:

You can be satisfied with a starting point and want to change it up. There's nothing like the ZN6 on the market at all, it's a blank canvas of its own type, and none other.

If you pull out the springs and shocks and change them, for instance, you're only changing one aspect of the steering geometry. Add more braking force and you're not going to affect its handling under brakes fully, very likely. More grip and you'll still probably not lose its balance-- Just because you're happy you got the best blank canvas doesn't make it a travesty to paint on it.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #37
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfrolic View Post
If anyone finds anyone cheap ways to 'unleash potential', I'm all ears. I'm talking about a paperclip, duct tape, and some toilet paper or paper towel tubings. McGuyver it.

Not sure about everyone else, but the more I drive it, the more I love it! It's stock. My first sports car
I hear that there is a snakeoil chip under development. It's under wraps for now but supposedly they will run about $50.00 and your teeth will look whiter when you use it as well.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #38
showbe
Banned

Drives: A nice one
Quote:
@Gen: I agree in that sense completely with you.

@showbe: Bro if you change everything on the car, how did you like it in the first place? Improving everything, will make the car better, but changing everything makes a different car...
There is nothing wrong with making the car your own like you said.

and in another sense, if you buy a house and improve it, that's great, but if you level it to zero and build it again, you can't say you loved that house...
@Tigranakert
You really think just because you get another car your not going to have to still do any of that stuff? I doubt another car you get will have a short shifter, stock lowering springs or any lower then the FR-S/BRZ, Better exhaust, subwoofer, Polk speakers, and anything else you said.

Stuff you listed isnt completely changing the car its making the car your own. If your going to be buying the car then putting a Supra 2JZ in it thats totally different. EVERYTHING you said basically are add ons that make the car your own and unique. You cant buy another car and have everything you said come with it stock. Maybe a Turbo but in the end the stock turbo isnt that good anyways, atleast not what most of the market has to offer. Floor Mats and better audio and leather are probably the only things that can be done at the dealership but I have never heard of people changing the interior of their car to leather unless its some pimp my ride stuff.

Do you know how much its going to cost just to have all that added with the FR-S if you buy it at the dealership? New rims I believe are 1500-2000 for some ugly TRD Rims. You want a TRD Exhaust that has little to no gains? Another 1000. Factory Tint? expect to pay 3-4 times what you would at a place that specializes in it. Want TRD suspension? Expect to pay another premium for it then what other places charge. Want a TRD Super charger? Expect to pay 1-2 g's more then what you would from a 3rd party company.

Tell me have you ever seen some rims you liked? How about a spoiler or a nice Subwoofer. You get another car besides the FR-S you will need to get those anyways. I bet you wont find any car that will come with those stock. You cant get those to come with a new car and ussually if they do have stuff like that its limited, not so good, or expensive.

Doing a motor swap and paint job are probably the only 2 things that come to mind that would make sense to get another car besides the FR-S. Doing things that suit your style or make the car your own, or to be different cant be done by getting a different car. Just like a House, You can do a lot of things in it to change it but if you plan to buy a house and then add a 1-2 rooms, A balcony, Redo the whole kitchen then why not just get a different house?

Like with cars. If you buy an FR-S then throw a GTR Shell on it or Change the engine then why get it in the first place like you said. But if your going to do minor modifications that can be done to any car then that doesnt make sense. Not everyone who buys the car like it the way it is, Sure they like most of it but they see things they want to improve on that can be done for much cheaper then buying something that has all that stock. If you want all that stock then maybe you can get a super car or a car like the GTR that has most of that done already but that costs 3x as much.

What this guy says does not make sense at all. He says changing things that are minor that improve the car would be pointless and would be better to just get another car. Yet when you get a new car you still would have to do those things again. Maybe not all since a new car might come with a turbo but your telling me that because you get a new car you wont have to do any of that? I would love for you to find me a car that has even half of that done that is stock, that is in the same price range. People are satisfied with the car it is not wrong to add the things he said because those things will not come with a stock car, Maybe some but 75% of the things he said wont, unless you pay a dealership mark up.

Last edited by showbe; 10-24-2012 at 03:06 AM.
showbe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to showbe For This Useful Post:
Tigranakert (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #39
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
this car is perfection, thread closed
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #40
Allch Chcar

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
how do people even tell how good a chassis is? is there a way to objectively remove that piece of the equation from the euphoria generated by the suspension, engine, transmission, etx?
Yes. But it would require a special stapler, a catapult, and some shaving cream. FYI, the stapler is $15000.

Come on Fatoni, you know the answer to that question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonitti View Post
Daily Driver, occasional weekend drifter.
Allch Chcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #41
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Wouldn't Polk speakers be a downgrade?

I love the car, only want to do a few bolt on mods.
It'll be interesting to see these cars in 5+years, highly modified, body kits, beat up and sold for cheap.

It is perfect, but i like to toy with things
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #42
showbe
Banned

Drives: A nice one
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Wouldn't Polk speakers be a downgrade?

I love the car, only want to do a few bolt on mods.
It'll be interesting to see these cars in 5+years, highly modified, body kits, beat up and sold for cheap.

It is perfect, but i like to toy with things
It was just an example I just said whatever came off the top of my head. I remember seeing some really expensive ones on crutchfield

Smart people who modify their cars will keep the original items if its possible to change it back. A couple hours of work will greatly increase the chances of you selling it faster and for a little more. I would never put a body kit on my car. The only thing I would do is the Five Axis spoiler. IMO the car is fine on the exterior. I would love the BRZ lights but its too expensive to switch them over. Maybe after a couple goes to the junk yard but right now its too much. Retro fitting some HID's would be fine until then. I forget the company that does it but I saw it on these forums where you send your lights in and they can do it for you. Or you can do it your self.

\\
showbe is offline   Reply With Quote