follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2016, 04:41 PM   #29
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
If I was to do it all again I'd pick up a second hand Scion, preferably the limited one with most of the BRZ goodies and the auto climate dash.. Reason Scion, like the look better, don't give a s#%t whether it is one economy car brand or the other.

Then, upgrade mechanicals probably in this order:

Wheels, tires, FI, oil cooler, exhaust, brake pads and fluid. Maybe higher end coilovers or coils & shocks.

Probably try a medium size (28 trim) turbo next time. This also saves buying headers separately.

Also, keep it within the 300 WHP/ 240 tq range.

Then I'd just drive the crap out of it.

Fussy stuff like body kit I'd think twice about next time.

Warranty is useless once the big mods start, might as well save $10K on the vehicle purchase.

STI is a brand for an all wheel drive sedan proven in rally racing. I don't think it's quite the right branding for these cars. The TS branding could set it apart as I think it should be.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
prj3ctm4yh3m (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #30
prj3ctm4yh3m

Drives: CRV AWD 5MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^^^ford UK has "st-line". Audi has r-line. Wish they would do the tS here in the states. Doesnt really jive with the whole dog worshipper/love conquers all marketing campaign theyre on about here in NAMER.

Doubt it will be a priority for them anytime soon.
prj3ctm4yh3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #31
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prj3ctm4yh3m View Post
^^^ford UK has "st-line". Audi has r-line. Wish they would do the tS here in the states. Doesnt really jive with the whole dog worshipper/love conquers all marketing campaign theyre on about here in NAMER.

The STI doesn't appear to be suffering from the constellation gazing, love conquers all ad campaigns Subaru runs.
Being badass as an overall brand image for a mostly economy-minded product lineup didn't work out well for Pontiac, "The Widetrack Car" in the long run.

Now if they could just bring back SAAB...
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:48 PM   #32
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Subaru's had record year-on-year growth overall in the last decade.

They couldn't care less about what jives and what doesn't, what they are doing now is doing wonders for their bottom line...
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #33
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

STI tS line-up is made to order domestically usually by a limited batch (a few hundred at most per model) and not really done on the factory assembly line. The standard car gets shipped to STI and then the upgrades are performed afterwards and takes at least 2 weeks before the complete car is ready for delivery.

They don't have the capacity to launch worldwide. If they pull something in North America it will probably just a trim level like the current standard WRX STI or Levorg STI, similar to what you mentioned about Ford ST and Audi S-line.

tS is more like the Ford RS and Quattro GmBH (Audi S and RS) equivalent but still nowhere near that scale of production.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
prj3ctm4yh3m (12-25-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 12:17 AM   #34
prj3ctm4yh3m

Drives: CRV AWD 5MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Subaru's had record year-on-year growth overall in the last decade.

They couldn't care less about what jives and what doesn't, what they are doing now is doing wonders for their bottom line...
Brz isnt an established subbrand like sti or corvette that has stored goodwill. I dont think they will make the push to develop brz (or Ts--in the states), given their current vector.

Re their success, I think it's fleeting and toyota will kill what's left of their quirkiness. I.e. they wont be able to bottle the lightning.
prj3ctm4yh3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:40 AM   #35
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
$29.6K?

At this rate, Subie dealers would be lucky to sell their '17 with PP at 27.5K.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:15 AM   #36
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
$29.6K?

At this rate, Subie dealers would be lucky to sell their '17 with PP at 27.5K.
I've seen less than 27.5K before TTL.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #37
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I've seen less than 27.5K before TTL.
Yup. That's why I said they would be lucky to sell one at that price.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #38
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Considering the typical markup on the BRZ is probably in the 8.5-9% range, selling at an $1,800. discount only reinforces what a lousy job selling new cars can be. Sales rep would be doing his job just for the priviledge of being allowed to do so. Sales persons commisssion probably somewhere between 0 and $150. House typically makes their money on holdback if its new stock, or possibly kickback from the factory to move idle inventory. The business I am in is plagued with similar bs. Except with my company, the house pads their cost a huge percentage.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:36 AM   #39
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Some new cars seem to sell themselves though. I doubt it's that easy to get money off with a new WRX. I could be wrong though.

Most people think the 86/BRZ are overpriced considering you could buy an Ecoboost mustang for around the same price.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:01 PM   #40
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Some new cars seem to sell themselves though. I doubt it's that easy to get money off with a new WRX. I could be wrong though.

Most people think the 86/BRZ are overpriced considering you could buy an Ecoboost mustang for around the same price.
... You can buy a Mustang Ecoboost at 4K off MSRP at least here in WA.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #41
Dark
Elite Padawan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Considering the typical markup on the BRZ is probably in the 8.5-9% range, selling at an $1,800. discount only reinforces what a lousy job selling new cars can be. Sales rep would be doing his job just for the priviledge of being allowed to do so. Sales persons commisssion probably somewhere between 0 and $150. House typically makes their money on holdback if its new stock, or possibly kickback from the factory to move idle inventory. The business I am in is plagued with similar bs. Except with my company, the house pads their cost a huge percentage.
A dealership is making most of its money from services/warranties, fleet sales, and holdback. They don't care about Invoice : actual sales margin.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #42
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
A dealership is making most of its money from services/warranties, fleet sales, and holdback. They don't care about Invoice : actual sales margin.
Sales dept does.

Typically the person who actually is supposed to be employed taking care of sales doesn't get paid for any other services the dealer offers. The owner of the dealership typically isnt doing anything for you except collecting their profit, whether sales gets screwed or not. Being in sales most of my life, I am not typically "that guy", the one who buys for $2000 below invoice when everyone else pays waaay more. I deal with people like this from time to time in my business. I always think to myself, maybe these people will suffer a lapse of income like I am when I am working for free. I had a guy recently, not only did I not make a dime, but he was way more work than most people. Of course my employer expects us to deal with this bullshit, I guess THEY are making money. Then, before taking delivery of our product, he went over and above his negotiation and posted a negative comment on Google maps for our head office location, making our marketing dept. pissed and forcing me to give the client an upgrade for a couple hundred more of the companys money in return for him removing the negative comment. What a useless mass of flesh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (12-25-2016), prj3ctm4yh3m (12-26-2016)