follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2015, 01:23 PM   #267
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomX View Post
Interesting. I wonder what led to that. Now I'm curious.
Careful guys...he's watching us...

However, I think that may be the case, (ignored/blocked) since his current activity is viewing the original troll thread that started all this. Although when i click the link, it says "Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."

Maybe I should contact the administrator, since this is a valid link, after all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
PhantomX (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #268
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Sweet. Where's my tshirt?
No tshirt or hoodies will be forthcoming.

Panties only. To be twisted in times of extreme intertoob stress.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:31 PM   #269
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Careful guys...he's watching us...

However, I think that may be the case, (ignored/blocked) since his current activity is viewing the original troll thread that started all this. Although when i click the link, it says "Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."

Maybe I should contact the administrator, since this is a valid link, after all
Lonewolf (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #270
Tcoat

Quote:
Sweet. Where's my tshirt?

Oh, and just to stay on topic....it doesn't feel slow at all, except between 3-4k rpm
Two choices so far:

Lonewolf (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 11:48 PM   #271
campy
No rice, no life

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Thanked 1,019 Times in 388 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I thought F was for friends who do stuff together.
campy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to campy For This Useful Post:
airjonny (02-11-2015), Quentin (02-11-2015)
Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #272
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Friends Reveling in Stuff?
Old 02-11-2015, 05:48 PM   #273
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by subatoy View Post
I'm gonna start by saying that I've owned a Integra GS-R, 06 WRX, 370Z and now and 2011 GTI...(yes I change cars often)
so my next target was the FRS/BRZ so after 3 years following this car and reading so many great reviews I finally got to test drive an FRS.

sadly it was an automatic but at least I got to compare the transmission to my DSG on the GTI.

first thing was that the seats are great! maybe better than my GTI's (autobahn package) and that's a lot to say.
the engine doesn't sound ANYTHING like the typical boxer engine in my WRX which i think is sad but I'm sure it's due to the equal length headers.

The suspension is very nice, firm but not harsh which feels just like the 370Z. The steering wheel response is great, just like that on the 370z.

The tires on that car are meant to slide! you can easily spin the tires even without trying so I'm sure this car would be a lot of fun when drifting around the track.

The tranmission is surprisingly similar to the DSG on my GTI, for a few momments there I forgot I wasn't driving my car so that's plus.
I still think that buying this car with an auto tranny is a SIN and you should be ashamed for buying such car.

now the bad part is that the car has NO BALLS what so ever, my completely stock Integra GSR felt faster than that car.
I wasn't expecting any power out of the FRS but I wasn't expecting it
to feel that underwhelming.

conclusion for me is that I'm keeping my GTI. I'm sure the FRS is a great track car but I don't think you'll get much fun out on the real world without driving wrecklessly (fast turns and stuff).

Eventhough the GTI and this car have the same power the GTI feels 10X faster (thanks to the torque given by the turbo).
I've learn that I prefer a car that feel faster than one that IS faster but feels slower.

For the money of a brand new FRS I would recommend getting a used 370Z ANY DAY there is nothing this car does better than the nissan specially at the track and the 370z does come with balls.

So this is my totally subjective opinion and I honestly don't care if anyone agrees or not. I just thought it would be nice review based on my experience living with all the other cars that in some way or another relate to this car.

Thanks for the honesty, but I prefer "Fun Running Scion" instead. As this is my first "Sports Car", I'm fine with the fact that it's not a "Quarter Miler". If that's what I wanted to drive, I'd have bought a "Muscle Car". I like the fact that I can go around curved roads nearly as fast as my bike with good MPG. And crowding (drafting) people with fast cars in the curves on a road coarse, awesome. I don't want to race anymore, just enjoy the drive in a spirited fashion. And for my money, my AT FR-S is doing a bang up job. See you at BIR.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:12 PM   #274
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
No it's for fire that burns down the whole town.
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to airjonny For This Useful Post:
campy (02-12-2015), Jesse36m3 (03-26-2015), Quentin (02-11-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #275
fz6r

Drives: 13 10 series FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
When I first test drove the FRS, I was extremely disappointed. I had a MKV GTI. It was a test drive at a mini track, but they wouldn't let you get out of 2nd gear. Then I had the chance to ride with a buddy, and finally really test drive one. My opinion immediately changed. The FRS is like fine wine. Not everyone likes wine, but it's up there with the greats for those that recognize what they have
fz6r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fz6r For This Useful Post:
bcj (02-12-2015), BMA (02-25-2015), dhuang (03-26-2015), Nickel (03-26-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #276
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Garage
Ditto. Ditched my MKV GTi for my FR-S. Sure, i miss low-midrange grunt and the hatchback cargo hold about 3 times a year. Otherwise I really never look back. LOVE my '86.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CatDaddysBBQ For This Useful Post:
dhuang (03-26-2015), fz6r (02-12-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 01:42 AM   #277
housecat
Computer Scientist

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeong86 View Post
The reason why the OP can't appreciate the FR-S because he doesn't understand how fortunate he is and probably young as well. First off in the last 7-8 years, there hasn't been many 300 hp cars that were affordable on the road. Let's see the Mustang GT was rated at 305HP before they brought back the 5.0 and the v6 mustang was just terrible. Same thing for the camaro. Back in the late 90's early 2000's, if you had a sporty car with 200+ horsepower it was pretty fast. The Honda preludes, Honda S2000's, Nissan Maximas, Acura Legends, Nissan 240sx with a SR20DET just to name a few had that much horse power. Everything else was shit slow. So now today just about every car has about 200hp-300hp. It's so common place for a 300HP. The V6 Mustang is rated at 305hp, the Ford Focus ST has 256HP, 370Z has 300+ HP, Camaro's and now SUVs and sedans like the Edge Sport and Fusion Sport had over 300HP. Do these kids appreciate the technology at hand to create more power? Nope... all they care about is can I beat the guy next to me on the freeway or traffic light because the stats on paper says I should.

Funny thing is when I do SCCA SOLO with my FR-S, I drive damn fast. I watch cars like the 2013 V6 Camaro, 2010 Nissan 350Z and 2013 Camaro SS get destroyed by my car. Not because my car is faster, the stats on paper says it's slower.. It's because I am a faster driver. I drive economically on the high way and shake my head when I see that shitty Hyundai Sonata pass me because apparently 70MPH is too slow for him.

People who state this car is slow truly don't know what fast is. When the FR-S is 6-10 seconds faster on a SCCA Solo Course, you should be embarrassed to drive such a power car and yet drive so slow.
I totally agree with you and I love SOLO racing with the SCCA, but most people don't do autocross and that means they don't care that the 86 is faster around cones than their car. It's sad that most people judge our cars by how fast they can go in a straight line. For some people, that's fun and that's all that matters about a car. That's okay with me, I respect the sport of drag racing, but I wouldn't be their friend. Personally, I think "driving" in a straight line is boring compared to actual driving, which takes more skill (i.e. driving around obstacles as fast as possible).

I also think it is strange that most people think 200hp is slow. Consider the Integra Type-R. That car is praised by auto enthusiasts as one of the best FWD entry level sports cars ever made. But it has "only" 195hp stock on a naturally aspirated 1.8L engine!

My first car was an Integra GSR, and I moved up to an RSX-S then the BRZ. Maybe I'm naive because I've never driven a corvette or some other 400+hp vehicle, but the 86 does not feel slow to me (well, except for the first couple thousand RPMs of first gear from a stop without launching the car). And when a car weighs 700-800 more pounds, 100hp makes less of a difference. If you think the 86 is slow, you are driving it the wrong way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeong86 View Post
People who state this car is slow truly don't know what fast is. When the FR-S is 6-10 seconds faster on a SCCA Solo Course, you should be embarrassed to drive such a power car and yet drive so slow.
Be careful not to sound offensive. I've had people driving a Chevy Sonic (138hp) get faster times than me driving my BRZ at a SOLO. That might be embarrassing for me, I'm not the best driver around. But the autocross community is really great. It's friendly competition, we don't shove it in other people's faces when our slower cars get faster times, and we don't feel embarrassed when we get slower times in our faster cars. We are all there for the same reason: to have fun and enjoy our cars, regardless of the number of horses under the hood.

Also, I've been trying to be open-minded lately. I am a JDM fan, but that doesn't have to mean that Mustangs, Camaros, etc are junk cars and can't compete with JDM. I believe a true auto enthusiast should appreciate all cars, regardless of brand or horsepower.

Last edited by housecat; 03-26-2015 at 08:49 AM.
housecat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housecat For This Useful Post:
Nickel (03-26-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 02:49 AM   #278
Nickel
Nick

Drives: 2013 10 Series GT86 #182 of 2500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I come from 100hp Miatas and having to bite my tongue around a Mustang until we show up at a windy road which rarely happened. Of course I still have my Miata and I love it dearly but when I test drove my FR-S, it was like jumping into an exotic car. All the gadgets and the modern side of it combined with a STUNNING 200hp sold me. Drive Miatas for 5 years straight and then jump in an FR-S and one of the words that will ignorantly come out of your mouth will be "fast". I don't think the FR-S is slow by any means and it's extremely capable in the corners but it would have been pretty sweet to have 250hp at the wheels. But with that being said, it would've been sweet to have 155 in the Miata or 250 out of the new SkyActive engine in the ND Miata. We're always whining about more power but I love these cars regardless.
2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT #182 of 2500/1993 Mazda Miata/1994 Suzuki Cappuccino/2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package/2016 Yamaha FZ-09/2023 Toyota Camry XSE

Instagram: @nickel_reed
Nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nickel For This Useful Post:
housecat (03-26-2015), Jond63 (03-27-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 02:53 AM   #279
Nickel
Nick

Drives: 2013 10 Series GT86 #182 of 2500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6r View Post
When I first test drove the FRS, I was extremely disappointed. I had a MKV GTI. It was a test drive at a mini track, but they wouldn't let you get out of 2nd gear. Then I had the chance to ride with a buddy, and finally really test drive one. My opinion immediately changed. The FRS is like fine wine. Not everyone likes wine, but it's up there with the greats for those that recognize what they have
YES, fine wine and the FR-S may be the best comparison I've heard before.
2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT #182 of 2500/1993 Mazda Miata/1994 Suzuki Cappuccino/2016 Ford Mustang GT Performance Package/2016 Yamaha FZ-09/2023 Toyota Camry XSE

Instagram: @nickel_reed
Nickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #280
housecat
Computer Scientist

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel View Post
I come from 100hp Miatas and having to bite my tongue around a Mustang until we show up at a windy road which rarely happened. Of course I still have my Miata and I love it dearly but when I test drove my FR-S, it was like jumping into an exotic car. All the gadgets and the modern side of it combined with a STUNNING 200hp sold me. Drive Miatas for 5 years straight and then jump in an FR-S and one of the words that will ignorantly come out of your mouth will be "fast". I don't think the FR-S is slow by any means and it's extremely capable in the corners but it would have been pretty sweet to have 250hp at the wheels. But with that being said, it would've been sweet to have 155 in the Miata or 250 out of the new SkyActive engine in the ND Miata. We're always whining about more power but I love these cars regardless.
I feel you. I think that there are a good amount of people out there who are satisfied with the 86's power. They are selling well for some reason, right? I'm a relatively young driver, probably not ready to handle 300hp or a luxury car. We've seen videos of people losing control of fast cars at low speeds, I don't want to be one of them

Also, that moment I realize this thread is 3 years old.

Tags
lol