follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #141
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantobe View Post
Though the stealership almost did talk me into financing one after a long test drive...
You still could do it, then take the money from the sale of your car (keep the motorcycle ) and just apply it to the principal. Then you could pay the car off earlier or just refi the car and have a lower payment over the original amount of time.

Congrats on your pending purchase!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #142
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
After driving both the V8 and the V6, definitely fell in love with the way the V8 sounds. I understand that the V6 is more than enough power, but that roar...

Anyways after driving both multiple times, I chose the twins. I can't get over how great the car handles and coming from a lightweight import I feel at home. I still haven't purchased yet as I'm trying to sell my car and motorcycle, to lay down a hefty down payment...

Though the stealership almost did talk me into financing one after a long test drive...

What's really funny was when my father and an older salesman were trying to talk me into getting a Camaro. Mocking the twins lack of horsepower and bragging about the Camaro's V6. Its sad that some people only consider HP/TQ numbers when purchasing a vehicle, and can't even consider how the car feels when you drive it...in other directions than straight... must be the old fashioned way!
Good choice! Cheers and good luck. I'll be sitting here waiting until prices come down a bit in the meantime to purchase mine.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #143
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
What's really funny was when my father and an older salesman were trying to talk me into getting a Camaro. Mocking the twins lack of horsepower and bragging about the Camaro's V6. Its sad that some people only consider HP/TQ numbers when purchasing a vehicle, and can't even consider how the car feels when you drive it...in other directions than straight... must be the old fashioned way!
One thing about the Twins is, you're going to have to be secure about your decision to own one. A lot of car "enthusiasts" love to spec-shop, especially horsepower, and many don't understand what makes the Twins so great to drive. If you look at the comments sections of Motor Trend or Road and Track after an article praising the Twins, you'll see enthusiasts regularly bashing the Twins out of ignorance.

This car will force you to grow thick skin. Good thing it's worth it

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
thill (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #144
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
One thing about the Twins is, you're going to have to be secure about your decision to own one. A lot of car "enthusiasts" love to spec-shop, especially horsepower, and many don't understand what makes the Twins so great to drive. If you look at the comments sections of Motor Trend or Road and Track after an article praising the Twins, you'll see enthusiasts regularly bashing the Twins out of ignorance.

This car will force you to grow thick skin. Good thing it's worth it
This. For many of these people they don't take into account weight, handling, seating position, COG, driver feedback, NA vs turbo, cost of ownership, daily driver, etc.

If you left it up to just the specs we would all be driving Mustang GT's in the under $30K club...
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #145
Diode Dynamics

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
This. For many of these people they don't take into account weight, handling, seating position, COG, driver feedback, NA vs turbo, cost of ownership, daily driver, etc.

If you left it up to just the specs we would all be driving Mustang GT's in the under $30K club...
Lol...that's what I'm driving and I have few complaints, it's a blast

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #146
Ryeong86

Drives: 2015 Sti Launch Edition
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm not concerned with coworkers reactions.

Its like this...kinda.

I want an FR-S, but it's more expensive.
I like the Camaro, and its a lot cheaper.

I just can't make up my mind, both great cars I like one more than the other but does the extra cost justify it.
Camaro's are a dime a dozen, you see them everywhere.. At least in a FR-S or BR-Z, it's more unique. Secondly, which one puts a bigger smile on your face? Resale Value will be higher in a BR-Z and FR-S compared to the camaro when you decide to switch cars later on.
\/Invidia N1 Titanium Tip Catback\/Rexspeed Carbon Fiber Front Lip\/Koni Sport Yellows\/Stivo Ducktail Lip Spoiler\/Porterfield Carbon Kevlar Front Pads\/TSW Nurburgrings 17x8 wrapped in 235/40/17 Nitto NT-05\/[/I]
Ryeong86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #147
PhastekSport

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to PhastekSport Send a message via Yahoo to PhastekSport
86s are starting to populate Houston like crazy. Last year it was really nice being a unique 86 owner.

I drive an FR-S and work at a place that started up by selling 5th gen Camaro parts.

No problems here.
PhastekSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #148
Diode Dynamics

Thanked 1,761 Times in 877 Posts
Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
I don't care if everyone else has one or not. I don't buy cars to please other people lol

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #149
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=228590&page=2

a pretty unbiased forum thread about the v6 camaro vs the scion frs
Old 11-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #150
jcblown13

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013 Asphalt 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Since you're a GM engineer maybe you can get GM to shave 1000 pounds off the next Camaro and make it not feel like you're sitting in a cave. Seriously, only the Camaro convertible is fun to drive - as long as the top is down. It is a fat pig.
I went shopping for a rear wheel drive sports car in the 25k range that is fun to drive and also gets good gas mileage since it is my daily driver. Already have a family sedan and a truck so this was strictly for sporty dd. The list is fairly short - Mustang, Camaro, FRS/BRZ, Mazda Miata, and maybe Nissan and Hyundai had something but not interested. Ended up with an FRS and couldn't be happier.

So, if you haven't already, get what you WANT not what is CHEAPER. Although, in your situation (company discount) you could probably still get out from under the Camaro and into what you want later.
jcblown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #151
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyways after driving both multiple times, I chose the twins. I can't get over how great the car handles and coming from a lightweight import I feel at home. I still haven't purchased yet as I'm trying to sell my car and motorcycle, to lay down a hefty down payment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcblown13 View Post
Since you're a GM engineer maybe you can get GM to shave 1000 pounds off the next Camaro and make it not feel like you're sitting in a cave. Seriously, only the Camaro convertible is fun to drive - as long as the top is down. It is a fat pig.
I went shopping for a rear wheel drive sports car in the 25k range that is fun to drive and also gets good gas mileage since it is my daily driver. Already have a family sedan and a truck so this was strictly for sporty dd. The list is fairly short - Mustang, Camaro, FRS/BRZ, Mazda Miata, and maybe Nissan and Hyundai had something but not interested. Ended up with an FRS and couldn't be happier.

So, if you haven't already, get what you WANT not what is CHEAPER. Although, in your situation (company discount) you could probably still get out from under the Camaro and into what you want later.
He picked the twins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #152
PhastekSport

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to PhastekSport Send a message via Yahoo to PhastekSport
Local Camaro owner downsized to an FR-S about 6 months ago or so. I don't think he ever looked back.

Different strokes for different folks.
PhastekSport is offline   Reply With Quote