follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #57
i_4got

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koteman View Post
I plan on doing all my lights in like a month I'll do a DIY then but idk if u want to wait that long
I can wait. If I can't figure it out, I probably won't end up doing it lol.

Did you wire yours to turn on with the dome light? Or is it on all the time?
i_4got is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 AM   #58
koteman

Drives: Scion frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
They were on a switch that only worked when the car was on. I'm going to do a dimmer this time that will be off-100% brightness when ever the car is on. If u take the keys out u want the lights to shut off automatically. It's all really simple though
koteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 AM   #59
gonbrz

Drives: World Rally Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8brz View Post
This is what I did:

looks great! any DIY? or pics of where you mount the LED and how did you wire it PLEASE
gonbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #60
NemeGuero
Banned

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonbrz View Post
looks great! any DIY? or pics of where you mount the LED and how did you wire it PLEASE
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=48

I'm guessing he just switched to red LED's after he followed these steps.
NemeGuero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #61
MrTranxD

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I did mine for about 10 bucks lol. And its wired to a switch so i can turn it off and on when i want.
MrTranxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #62
ArKiTeCkT

Drives: 2010 Gen Coupe, 2013 BRZ 6MT S.Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone find the wire for the courtesy lights for the BRZ? I wanted to splice the wire and place an LED in the footwell. So everytime I open the door foot well lights up and when I close the door footwell lights turn off.
ArKiTeCkT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #63
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArKiTeCkT View Post
Anyone find the wire for the courtesy lights for the BRZ? I wanted to splice the wire and place an LED in the footwell. So everytime I open the door foot well lights up and when I close the door footwell lights turn off.
me too!
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #64
SDIAZ

Drives: 2004 350Z
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcelir8brz View Post
This is what I did:

By any chance, would you happen to have pics without the dome light on?
SDIAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #65
soconfoozed

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT WR Blue Pearl
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJ View Post
I ordered the interior LED illumination option that comes with the GTS .. I'm waiting to see what i've actually ordered LOL - it was a $140 upgrade.
Likewise, except this part of my order was cancelled because the release of the kit was postponed.

The hooks must be there already. I would just look for a disused connector in the footwells...
Old 11-11-2012, 02:25 AM   #66
Kentonic

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've been working on this all night just trying to find where to actually connect these under the dash... Maybe if I took off the center console it'd be easier to run the cables while hiding them...

Xcelir - I think most people get caught up on where to tap into the battery power, how to splice into it, or which cables in general to connect to.
Kentonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #67
Kentonic

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Done! Finally Ok hopefully my explanation will be able to break it down barney style for everyone and I'm sure there's probably a hundred ways to improve it and my tactics aren't exactly the best but with what I have available I'm pretty proud of myself.

Here's how I did it:

If you bought LED Lights like I did from Autozone which just happened to be the Alpena Flex LED ones... you'll notice they have little to no direction at all. I think they worry too much about having them in 3 different languages but either way. I left the little LED test battery attached and placed the lights where I wanted to underneath. Just remove the 3M tape off the back and stick. Make sure to have the cables going out towards the center of the console to ensure you have proper cable lengths.

Next remove the glove box. Simply open it up and reach inside and push both sides inwards to remove from edges. Then detach the cushion arm we'll call it to totally remove the box. It'll get in your way if you don't.

Now you will need to pull the 12V #2 Connector out of the socket. In order to do this you need a screwdriver to push in the locking latch on the right side. Becareful how hard to push. Most difficult part I thought. But I somehow managed to use a pair of needlenose and twisted it off while i pushed with the screwdriver.

Now that you have that socket off disconnect it and run both sets of cabling through the socket. You don't want to mess up like I did and have to rewire everything again because you can't push the 12V Connector back through the socket...

Now this is where it looks like I red necked it a bit... I fed the lines through and twisted the wires around the holes making sure the white striped connector from the socket matches the white striped cable connector you loop them through. Put the connector back on top right over those wires. Will help hold them in place. It will fit nice and snug make sure you push it back on all the way. I also wrapped it twice with Electrical tape just to be safe. Push the socket back into place like before. Might want to tape all cable away from the A/C filter there underneath the glove box too if you plan to get into that in the future. Then reattach the glove box. Becareful the glove box has two latches underneath you will have to attach first before pushing the insides out. Reclamp the arm.

And good to go! Your footwell lights will only turn on when you have the key in the ignition. Check it out if you want I'll post a few pics of my results.

Hope this helps anyone else that was having trouble like myself! Can't wait to get started on changing the Red Triangle and making it another brake light. Especially when ladies get on my ass n im stuck at a light going up a hill...
Kentonic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kentonic For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (01-03-2013), caloriemate (08-22-2014), mbh1101 (06-09-2013), meWant (11-12-2012), Pete (02-02-2013), RMStringer (03-03-2013)
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #68
xcelir8brz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
LOL. I posted a DIY in another thread whereas I basically said to create a 'Y" with drill twisted and electrical tape covered cables sourced from the center console/armrest 12V lighter socket. The ends of the Y traverse in parallel to the left and right side passenger foot wells. The pictures then show you where to mount the plastic/LED/wired up cables to.
xcelir8brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #69
koteman

I just ordered all my Leds ill do a diy write up when I installed them in December after I finish my finals. I'm also doing my gauge swap then and took all the cuircit boards out today to figure out how many leds to order and took pics and mapped out all the lights so ill write that up too if yall want

Sent from my Galaxy S3
Old 12-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #70
koteman

Lights and dimmer knob installed

Sent from my Galaxy S3
Attached Images