follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 05-15-2016, 06:24 AM   #1261
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
I'm on my first gas tank with the e-force but I'm averaging 16 mpg right now. Previously I was floating around 28 mpg. I knew there'd be a hit but wasn't expecting it to be this drastic.
We have been on e85 for about a year befor the cahrger. But befor that we got only about 25 mpg at best. My girlfriend has a heavy foot.
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #1262
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
Even guys running the CARB tune completely stock and mainly just DD? no track or auto cross just the occasional spirited driving. no headers, aftermarket filters, no e85 no nothing.

I was already considering getting the Jackson Racing Dual radiator/oil cooler but if the catch can is that much more essential??
From my experience neither are necessary for daily driving with the occasional canyon/autox/hard driving. My catch can was bone dry for months before I took the car on the track. Highest oil temps I've seen was 230 F after a really hard hill climb, which isn't too bad considering I've hit 240 F on the track when I was stock.

Both are a must if you plan on going on the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by taiguy View Post
I'm on my first gas tank with the e-force but I'm averaging 16 mpg right now. Previously I was floating around 28 mpg. I knew there'd be a hit but wasn't expecting it to be this drastic.
Seems odd, I'm doing about 20-21 mpg with mostly city driving (used to be 25 stock). Is your car MT or AT? I did find my mpgs drop initially, but that's because I was having too much fun. I did find myself starting to shift much earlier with the added torque. I'd give it a couple more tanks before calling Edelbrock if it doesn't improve.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #1263
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm averaging 17-18 mpg on 91 pump gas depending on how i drive. all street, half of it stop-and-go in the afternoon. when i was stock i was around 21 mpg.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #1264
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Seems odd, I'm doing about 20-21 mpg with mostly city driving (used to be 25 stock). Is your car MT or AT? I did find my mpgs drop initially, but that's because I was having too much fun. I did find myself starting to shift much earlier with the added torque. I'd give it a couple more tanks before calling Edelbrock if it doesn't improve.
MT - mostly city driving. I'll give it a tank or two and see if it goes up.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 02:01 PM   #1265
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayrush View Post
Part of me feels like the car does not get enough power from the alternater. I cant quite explain it. It's just a feeling I get after the charger went on.
Agreed!

i don't know if its just me but while I'm just on the throttle normally i feel like i get little hiccups on the rev like if I'm at 2800 it will blip a little bit and drop and then keep going
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #1266
kamikaze7

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Picked up my car on Saturday after having this kit installed and I immediately questioned the install hours I was charged.

For those out there who have installed this kit at a shop, or shop owners/employees, how many hours were charged for this install?
kamikaze7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #1267
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze7 View Post
Picked up my car on Saturday after having this kit installed and I immediately questioned the install hours I was charged.

For those out there who have installed this kit at a shop, or shop owners/employees, how many hours were charged for this install?
Not a shop, just did it in my driveway with a buddy. It took us roughly 7-8 hours. Not counting the headache that was the Ecutek portion.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:16 AM   #1268
Tomcat07

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Can you add me to the list of owners? =) I have had my kit for about a month. Love it. Can't wait to talk more about my experiences with you guys.
Tomcat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomcat07 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 03:03 AM   #1269
Firesnake

Drives: Whiteout
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
JR Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler

Hey all, given the space considerations with the Edelbrock, I held off on an oil cooler as most of the available products either required additional fabrication or some level of compromise.

I ultimately chose to go with the Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil cooler for the following net positives:
  • it was a direct drop in swap with the OEM radiator
  • High Efficiency CSF Core (B-tube dual laminar flow, multi-louevered fins)
  • Liquid to oil provides not just cooling, but thermostasis (quickly brings temp into operating window whether by warming or cooling)

Here's a pic displaying the difference in thickness, and the space efficiency of the Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler:

Picture displaying multi-louvered fins

OEM Crash beam clearance with Edlebrock LTR, AC Condensor, and JR Radiator.

The JR Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler fits well with the edelbrock airbox. So well it doesn't appear to be an aftermarket product if you didn't know what to look for:

The lines were a bit tricky, as it looked like they wanted to kink. But after playing with the angle, we found a soft bend that facilitated the smooth flow of oil:

There's plenty of space for the fan shroud and edlebrock airbox:

Once we started the engine up, the lines filled right up without any signs of pressure changes or kinks in the lines:

The only part I didn't figure out was the JR cap. It didn't fit so I just kept the OEM cap on.

I plan on recording track temps during 86 Cup Buttonwillow on June 4th.

The install would have been too much for me alone being a newb with instructions that had zero pop-up pictures for newbs who can't install good. But with CSG Daves guidance the install was very straightforward and makes logical sense.

Big thanks to CSG Dave for the install and a CSG Mike for putting up with my Askholeness during my hunt for an oil cooling solution
http://counterspacegarage.com/blog/p...-installation/
Firesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Firesnake For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (05-16-2016), clayrush (05-16-2016), djdnz (05-16-2016)
Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 AM   #1270
kamikaze7

Great to have a real install to confirm fitment.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #1271
kamikaze7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
On a separate note:

The 3" Edelbrock pulley is a stifling $31 upgrade =]
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-15822

Same goes for the 2.75":
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-15823

There is also no mention of needing a new belt with the pulley swap. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one though.
Have the 3" pulley on my car and trying to resolve some hesitation and idle issues. While speaking to Edelbrock tech Toffur he confirmed the 3" pulley requires a smaller belt. Apparently the kit comes with a 99.5" belt and he suggested a 99" belt, mathematically speaking not because it's documented anywhere.

Can anyone else shed some light on whether they went to a smaller belt when using the 3" pulley? If so what belt, belt length?

Last edited by kamikaze7; 05-16-2016 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #1272
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze7 View Post
Have the 3" pulley on my car and trying to resolve some hesitation and idle issues. While speaking to Edelbrock tech Toffu he confirmed the 3" pulley requires a smaller belt. Apparently the kit comes with a 99.5" belt and he suggested a 99" belt, mathematically speaking not because it's documented anywhere.

Can anyone else shed some light on whether they went to a smaller belt when using the 3" pulley? If so what belt, belt length?

I am still on stock pulley, but I dropped down a belt size to help alleviate a recurring issue I had with my belt jump on hard launches or 1-2 shifts.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:55 PM   #1273
kamikaze7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
I am still on stock pulley, but I dropped down a belt size to help alleviate a recurring issue I had with my belt jump on hard launches or 1-2 shifts.
Any chance you recall what size belt you went down to or part #?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #1274
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesnake View Post
  • Liquid to oil provides not just cooling, but thermostasis (quickly brings temp into operating window whether by warming or cooling
I was really considering selling my oil cooler parts for this unit specifically because of this "feature" that goes hand-in-hand with this type of set-up. I have a very short commute to work and I'm barely getting to temp by the time I get there. In the end, I decided it would be cooler to have something "my own", plus I was waaaay too lazy to try to recoup the expenses just to spend more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firesnake View Post
I plan on recording track temps during 86 Cup Buttonwillow on June 4th.
Looking forward to it. Should be a very good test since its a perfect venue and time of year, should be nice a hot!
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-16-2016), Firesnake (05-16-2016)