follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2020, 11:53 PM   #15
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should be fine, a bit harsher on big bumps than stock. Really depends on the roads around you.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #16
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymshulman View Post
Glad to know it can still get through snow lowered a little! Thanks for all your responses. I've driven a stock 2017 and felt it was fine for me but definitely on the edge of how rough I'd like (roads here can be pretty bad). I'll see if I can find one a little closer that's lowered a bit to test drive before driving the few hours to this one.
Unfortunately I have (lifted) stock suspension on my car right now because I rallycross, otherwise I'd take you for a ride on quality coilovers that I usually have on my car. There can be a big difference between a 1 inch drop with different brands or when lowering with springs vs coilovers, and between coilover brands.

I talk about it every year, but we really need to have a BRZ meet up that's just people giving people rides on different suspension set ups.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
why? (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 AM   #17
Clark20

Drives: 2019 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Unfortunately I have (lifted) stock suspension on my car right now because I rallycross, otherwise I'd take you for a ride on quality coilovers that I usually have on my car. There can be a big difference between a 1 inch drop with different brands or when lowering with springs vs coilovers, and between coilover brands.

I talk about it every year, but we really need to have a BRZ meet up that's just people giving people rides on different suspension set ups.

- Andrew
Andrew, are the Racecomp Tarmac zero coils good for a daily lowered 1 inch? How would the ride quality be compared to a 2017 pp with the RCE lowering springs that I am currently on? Would you suggest the upgrade? I'm on gripper tires than stock and have a little camber front and back.
Clark20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
theres no real reason to not be lowered. many people drive year round in the new england area dropped 1in. if anything, it just saves you having to buy and install lowering springs yourself. im lowered an inch or inch and a half and snow tires fit fine. the snows i run are 205/50/17. thats the gold standard size for a winter wheel, some even run 16in but its not like itll be any better or worse dailying a car dropped one inch. if anything itll be better.

people act like doing anything to the car will ruin its daily ability. hell, im on 9k/8k springs and everyone will tell you it'll be terrible to daily. reality is its hardly a perceivable difference in ride comfort. granted they are decently expensive. the car isnt going to ride like a tahoe at the end of the day, stock or modified.

id think that its a nice little bonus that ur cars lowered already

This^
I have 180,000 miles on a 1.5" drop. I have driven or rode in many other various setups. For street driving there is no huge difference between any set ups I have been exposed to. Track use may be a different matter but I can not speak to that.
The only thing I have had to learn to watch out for is high speed bumps and sloped driveways. I have bounced the bumper or exhaust off many a surface because I went just a little too fast. I may learn to slow down someday but probably not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
To add to that, mine has been lowered for most of it's life (this is the 8th winter with it) and no issues in winter here in the Toronto Canada area.

Don't try to drive through 12" of loose snow and you'll be fine

Never had an issue with loose snow of any depth (my record is 18") but 4 inches of heavy, wet, slushy stuff get's a tad dicey. The worst is the slushy stuff between wheel ruts that then freezes solid. Get 4 or 5 inches of that and I either have to go around or bare the horrid sound of scrapping as I drag the car over it.
HaXx (01-22-2020), soundman98 (01-22-2020), why? (01-23-2020), wparsons (01-22-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #19
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark20 View Post
Andrew, are the Racecomp Tarmac zero coils good for a daily lowered 1 inch? How would the ride quality be compared to a 2017 pp with the RCE lowering springs that I am currently on? Would you suggest the upgrade? I'm on gripper tires than stock and have a little camber front and back.
They're good, but our RCE SS1 coilovers ride better. It's a good step up from just the springs.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
why? (01-23-2020), wparsons (01-22-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 AM   #20
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaXx View Post
theres no real reason to not be lowered. many people drive year round in the new england area dropped 1in. if anything, it just saves you having to buy and install lowering springs yourself. im lowered an inch or inch and a half and snow tires fit fine. the snows i run are 205/50/17. thats the gold standard size for a winter wheel, some even run 16in but its not like itll be any better or worse dailying a car dropped one inch. if anything itll be better.

people act like doing anything to the car will ruin its daily ability. hell, im on 9k/8k springs and everyone will tell you it'll be terrible to daily. reality is its hardly a perceivable difference in ride comfort. granted they are decently expensive. the car isnt going to ride like a tahoe at the end of the day, stock or modified.

id think that its a nice little bonus that ur cars lowered already
one of the few things I miss is the nice flat everything. In NC the crowns of the roads can be so high I actually scraped on them when I was stock, and the rain gutters are so gigantic my sister scraped her Chrysler Pacifica on her own driveway.

Only problem I had with my lowered Yaris was quick service oil places. I had to get out and let a stick figure person drive in so the car was high enough to get over the metal.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:11 PM   #21
ymshulman

Drives: '17 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Update - I heard back from the seller, he sent me the attached photos. Am I looking at just the TRD lowering springs here? (Those were specified in the VIN lookup as having been installed by the dealer.) He also measured for me from the center of the hubcap to the top of the wheel well, and says it's about 13.5" - from the info in this thread it seems stock is about 14.5".

If this info is all accurate, and if anyone here can confirm from photos that it's just the TRD lowering springs, then I know what I need to find locally and go for a test drive in.

Thanks again for your help - I love this community!

ymshulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:20 AM   #22
sneaky_pete

Drives: MY14 86 GTS Manual Velocity Orange
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
bit late on this one OP but the TRD springs will be fine. I ran stock springs for a while and then installed the TRD lowering springs. The TRD springs don't alter the ride quality that I could tell but are a bit rougher over large bumps and potholes. i installed the TRD sway bars as well and my car sits a lot flatter in corners than stock which is what I wanted. I don't know how much of this is sway bars and how much is springs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car with the TRD springs - it's a very good upgrade over stock for a street car.
sneaky_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:03 AM   #23
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
My car has MCA Street Performance coilovers, dropped 20mm, they out perform the PP Sachs suspension in every way.

I found the standard springs and dampers very "crashy" on any surface that wasn't dead smooth.

I've been in a few twins with lowering springs and though they compromised comfort and handling for "the lowered look".

IMO the OEM dampers only just have enough travel with standard height springs, a higher rate spring of an aftermarket coil helps a bit with limiting the lenght of the stroke, but, the higher rate spring isn't well matched to the OEM damper, valving wise, I believe......yeah

But them I'm not a suspension expert and can only give feedback on what I "feel".

I am old and ocer opinionated though, so there is that.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote